Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whos your broadband with?

Rides

Lightbulb whos your broadband with?

I've just moved into my new house and need to get the WiFi sorted out. What's everyone using?

Requirements are something that's reasonably fast whilst being as cheap as possible (i.e I don't need lightening fast but don't want shitty dongles) and preferably without the need of BT land line rental.

Rides
    BT Infinity here, it's ****ing ace.

Had Orange Previously on ADSL and their service was very good also, the free router put in 3 years service without hassle and when I came to leave there was no mucking about.

Had Sky before that and the service was crap, the router was crap - in general I wasn't happy.

Rides
    Infinity here too - obviously :P

Overall not a bad service, shame about to need to run a modem and separate router but again, free so can't complain. Speeds are dependant on distance from the local cabinet but generally speaking 25-40Mb is average, those lucky enough get damn near 80Mb. Not noticed any speed drops during peak hours but even if I lost half I probably wouldn't notice.

Rides
    Running Virgin Media here - cannot fault it. Not experienced any noticeable outage in a long time and the speed is very quick and consistent. Only issue is the capping if you use too much bandwidth in the prime times but I have only every hit that when downloading questionable material.

Thumbs up from me.

Rides
    Piror are you in a virgin cabled area?

Rides
    BT Infinity too; finally a BT product that hasn't been a shower of sh*t

Rides
    Used to be with BT and the broadband was generally reliable anf fairly fast. They took too long getting Infinity sorted for our area so we switched to Virgin which is faster and cheaper but can bog down a bit in peak times.
    bovvered?

Rides
    BT Infinity here too, there's no Virgin in my area . It's good but they do throttle torrents in the evening if you're in to that sort of thing!

Rides
    Standard bt shit with shit bt service , infact I am shock I was even able to write this reply it really is that bad . And I pay around £35 per month to get really really pissed off at a small black box with three flashing blue lights. .................... and relax !!!!!

Rides
    Plusnet - because our cabinet isn't unbundled and there's no fibre or cable within a bazillion mile radius

s'alright, customer service is pretty geed IME

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I've just moved into my new house and need to get the WiFi sorted out. What's everyone using?

Requirements are something that's reasonably fast whilst being as cheap as possible (i.e I don't need lightening fast but don't want shitty dongles) and preferably without the need of BT land line rental.
    Just to let you know if you have a virgin net work where you live they are good . But all of over 250 service providers out there use are Bt net work so who ever you go with its Bt net work dude . The fibre we do is good if installed right do you live in a new estate ?

Rides
    Sky 16mb is for my xbox and wifi around the house - costs about 5-10£ a month on the TV package and uses the BT copper line into the house.

Virgin 120mb is for my two pc's, one running a media streaming server the other my main machine, pay £28 a month

Both pretty good and handy having two networks to always have a redundancy I don't seem to ever have issues with the BT but occasionally the Virgin gets sluggish and needs a router power cycle.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Sky Unlimited ADSL Broadband. Got it totally free for a year - started off great getting a steady 6mb. Then Infinity got put into the village and our connection ranged from 0-1mb for the next 6 months. Now its more reliable but still only getting 2.4mb tops Its okay for £7.50 a month.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    Sky 16mb is for my xbox and wifi around the house - costs about 5-10£ a month on the TV package and uses the BT copper line into the house.

Virgin 120mb is for my two pc's, one running a media streaming server the other my main machine, pay £28 a month

Both pretty good and handy having two networks to always have a redundancy I don't seem to ever have issues with the BT but occasionally the Virgin gets sluggish and needs a router power cycle.
    Why have you bothered with a BT line when you have 120mb of Virgin cable there?

Rides
    Virginmedia Super Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Why have you bothered with a BT line when you have 120mb of Virgin cable there?
    I have a phone line and sky TV package, the broadband for £5 extra seems to cheap to turn off, its also handy if I'm downloading big chunks of data or have the girlfriend streaming towie on the iPad and I'm trying to play Xbox I can run different things on different lines

Rides
    BT, because the only other option was Talktalk. Hub power supply died after 6 weeks but they sent out a replacement box with no problems. It's also 3x as fast as the Sky BB I had before despite the fact that I now live in the middle of nowhere.

Rides
    I'm with Sky Fibre - which is BT Infinity dressed up.

After talking to an Openreach engineer while he fixed my issue.... Don't expect Fibre to be more reliable as it drives the copper bit harder... but I have found it to be more reliable since he replaced the copper to the cabinet

Rides
    Virgin have been canvassing in thek area so I assume its available. My estate was built in the early 80s so everything is linked up pretty well with providers. There's only about £5 difference between the cheapest to most expensive basic packages so its a tough one to call. If virgin offer me a good deal with a tv package that may sway me

Rides
    My G/f Lived in ipswich and virgin wouldnt supply her with any package as she had her own postcode so was not on there lines even thou everyone round her could get it.
    Im with talktalk fibre 22mb up in cumbria. Talktalk are ok as long as you dont need tech support