Thread: My car dies on bumps???

Rides

My car dies on bumps???

I was driving on the motorway today for 200miles, and i noticed that my car dies for a second on every bigger road bump, like bridge connections and other bumps. Its like engine turns off for a second,and you can see the rev drops to zero at that moment. Dont know if that is connected but my dash dials light died and low beam and side lights. High beam works. Didnt have time to check it as i had to drive back home,while dark,with only high beam lights on. I will go check tomorrow what went wrong, but could use some hints if someone had something similar,or knows the reason of this?

I need to add that i have really hard suspension,all poly bushes, and the front is prety low,and did scrape one few bumps like hell. Also have hard engine mounts,so it all shakes. So maybe some wires got losse somewhere?

Rides
    If the car is a lot lower than standard, there are electrical wires in the wheelarch that the tyre can damage.

Rides
    All those wires are now ruted in the engine bay through the hole in the wheelarch. But at some point the tire can still touch them. But I think they are not damaged.

Rides
    Check the battery connections.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    You think its the battery that causes car to die on bumps? I tought battery connection is not important while the car is on.

Rides
    Could be. I had an issue years ago where the battery was moving on left hand corners. It turned out a battery connection was loose and moving.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    2nd for checking the battery, had the car completely die on me whilst driving all electrics and engine and it was discovered to be a lose connection at the front where the battery relocation had taken place and also the connection at the front was bare and shorting out on the chassis whilst going over bumps on the road causing said issue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    You think its the battery that causes car to die on bumps? I tought battery connection is not important while the car is on.
    my battery in the boot had a terminal that started rubbing against the rear wheel arch, as soon as it arced to the body, the whole thing died.

I think the battery isn't important thing only really applies to old carb'ed cars, in fuel injected, it completes all the circuits.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I had the same fault, the stock battery connector for the positive is actually a multi plug the fracture and only just contact, pull it and you will more than likly have it come off in your hand.