Thread: nissan xtrail

Rides

nissan xtrail

Looking at purchasing one of these in a few months as a daily for the missus and a tow car for me. Wondering if anyone's owned one and knows of common issues/ fuel economy as the missus will be doing a 60mile a day commute to and from work. It seems to tick all the right boxes

Rides
    diff's explode and cost 2000 pound fitted from nissan. other than that i had a 2.2dci sve and it was quite nice. didn't feel 4x4 ish

Rides
    there are three of them on my dog walk in the morning, I know anything about them other than these ones all sound rough as fook, all 2004-5 and sound like they have CA deathrattle

Rides
    Do the diffs explode from lack of servicing or common fault. They are chain driven and have read that there was a recall for the chain guide and tensioner. Maybe those one haven't been done? But good to know what to look out for.

Rides
    Don't they have a low towing limit as well i'm sure thats why they was no good for me..

Rides
    they havea very low towing limit hence why i said car like. iirc it's only 1800kg

our diff just locked and exploded about 2 days before the warranty ran out. was pretty weird. The 2.2dci is the renault engine so i'd be looking at similar age laguna's etc for common faults.

they are quite noisy.

that said Claire and I did a towing round trip of over 1100 miles from glasgow to poland , and averaged over 25mpg in great comfort with no hassles.

i'd have another but check for diff issue's first. ours was an 06 and 15 months old with 12k when we bought it and 33k when we got rid at 4 years old

Rides
    Tow limit is 2000kg on a 2004 2.2dci sport. Already checked that. Diff issues is one ill look out for then. I'll be looking at a highish mileage model due to budget.

Rides
    Potentially useless post... A couple of years ago, when I was looking for a winter daily / dog mobile I looked at the Xtrail, but found enough horror stories to push me into a Landrover (which had so far been pretty reliable).

Rides
    Alright cars tbh,they are what they are. Common problems are rear ARB Bushes (cheap and easy to fix), check rear calipers as the slider pins sieze on the carrier, if your lucky you can renew the pins if they come free, if your unlucky it's a new caliper. Check for oil in turbo/intercooler pipes as the Lagunas/Xtrails have an issue with eating turbos and intercoolers (can pick these up second had at hal decent prices) and the suction control valve on the high pressure pump is a weak point but theres an external fuel pump just under the rear seats outside of the vehicle, as they years have gone by water corrosion sets in and they start to leak fuel (£360 ish to replace) all the neagtives aside thay are very capable cars, excellent for towing (few of my mates have done this)

Rides
    Cheers for the info mark. Read a few other issue about some filter that clogs up if not driven enough on long journeys. Does this apply to the older models or just the new shape?

Rides
    We've had two 4WD X-T's (well my missus has); the first was a 2002 2.0l petrol and the current is a 2003 2.2Di. The petrol one was a lemon due to unscrupulous maintenance (but was returned to the dealer & got a full refund) and after a lengthy search the second has treated us pretty well. While searching for the second one I came across a lot of very poorly maintained ones which were in rag order so I wouldn't go near anything that didn't have a comprehensive service record if I were you...

From the few weeks we had the petrol one it seemed underpowered and the lack of a sixth gear left it very loud and thirsty at motorway speeds, the diesel is much more capable in comparison but it may not be fair using that particular jeep as a comparison. The current one has just passed 130,000 miles and we have had to address rear ARB Bushes & rear calipers as noted by Mark above but both were cheap fixes. The one major niggle she has is that the 6cd changer is shite (known problem; they stop working, scratch CD's, skip etc. and there's no cheap like for like replacement) It flew through its NCT recently (Irish MOT) and is a great all rounder - decent enough on diesel, very comfortable, very capable and loads of space.

She runs a stable yard so often transports up to 1,000kg of horse feed in the back so it's a tough enough jeep, it has no trouble crossing fields and can tow a horsebox but as noted above the towing limit is 2,000kg and having towed an empty 1,400kg horsebox I wouldn't venture passed the limit

There's plenty of info on http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/

Rides
    Cheers for that dude. Good to hear I was a bit put of with it being a renult /nissan but nothing else comes close for towing capability/ economy. I really like the 2.2 rav4s but are a bit outta budget. Will defo keep any eye out on the faults listed.thanks