Thread: Inlet valves

Rides

Inlet valves

I asked at an engine shop the other day about buying some new inlet valves for a CA rebuild. When he got back to me he said "there's 2 different sizes of inlet valve (different length) on those engines so we need an old one to messure it"

AFAIK there were indeed 2 part numbers listed 1320-174E00 which were the early fitment (and they mushroom/recess in to the head) and 1320-151E10 which are OK but I thought the fiscal size of the 2 valves was identical.

Length [mm]89
    Valve stem diameter [mm]6
    Valve Head Diameter [mm]34,1
    Valve Seat Angle [°]45

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Last edited by GTSX; 10-07-2013 at 20:28.

Rides
    There may well be 2 nissan part numbers,is he supplying OE nissan parts then?
    I got after market valves from engine shop near me and iirc was only one part number
    I left them a good valve to compare to when stock came in
    Aside from the number under the valve head,the valves are same sized I thought
    HKS and Tomei dont list 2 type's or lengths of valve afaik,
    Take a few along and see what they say

Rides
    There are two part numbers and you are right that one was subject to a duff batch that wore at a high rate but they weren't an early fitment They were fitted to a batch of late facelifts. IIRC they were the ones with 74 on the face.

The ones you want are the 51s.

There is a thread that has all the details. Give me a minute to see if I can find it.

Rides
    Jonny I have read that thread before.

What throw me was the guy saying there's 2 different lengths. To be honest I think that's

Rides
    just a guess but maybe the jdm 8 port head uses longer/shorter stem valve's?, try another supplier to get more info that way
    ,they're small things so get them posted ?

Rides
    Andy I thought about that but I remember years ago doing a repair on a jap head and can't recollect a difference.
    I haven’t done anything on CA’s for ages and it’s not the engine shop I use to deal with as I have moved since then. May be he was just trying it on a bit.

Yes they may be small but the postage is still $80 for a set of 8 from across the pond!
    Last edited by GTSX; 11-07-2013 at 23:13.

Rides
    There is now only one part number on FAST 13201-74E00

Common to all CA18DE/DET, B12, N13, S13. The UK spec DE engines have 8 port heads.

Rides
    This thread (which is the one I was talking about), says 51s are the good ones and some 74 are duff.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...alves%20Nissan

Rides
    skyshack - I can't find 74's (thank goodness as they're pants) from various suppliers although admittedly that doesn't include Nissan. Some say the stock is genuine 51's others are aftermarket but from top manufacturers in europe.

Rides
    I say get the 51s, mate. They will fit.

Rides
    This week end was supposed to be just rip the head off the 180k mile early '91 motor with a blown head gasket and drop the 150K mile head on from the mid '93 motor that spun a shell.

This started with no problems at all. Is 150K miles premature valve wear? Compared to the valves in the 180K mile head it is.

1 failed in number 1

Both on number 2

1 in number 3

and 1 in number 4

Got a few squishy tappets too.

Got a good set of 74 inlet valves from a prefacelift G reg head - haven't found number 3 BE shells from this motor yet, I think they are welded to the crank.

Rides
    I reckon if you use your set of 74's you better start sorting another head out for a few months time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSX View Post
    I reckon if you use your set of 74's you better start sorting another head out for a few months time.
    Why? Are the valve weevils gonna get them? It's only a late batch that were affected, the Nissan SB is dated 1/94, after production ceased.

How late/early is the question that needs answering.
    Mine was made Aug 93 and reg June 94. L and M reg are certainly affected, does it go back to K or J reg?

As I said I have a '91 H reg head from an engine that has done 180K miles and the 74 valves are fine. I bought that motor in May 2000 and I have done 100K of the 180K miles. Barring someone sneaking up in the night and giving it a free valve job they have never been touched in all of that 100K miles.

The 5 of the 8 that are still good on the M reg motor have done 150K miles and Nissan service experience of 15K miles shows that the dud ones will probably have been like that for over 135K miles.

As for the original question about 2 valve lengths.
    Maybe they had CA18ET and CA18DET valves to chose from, both list as 1809cc turbo.
    Last edited by skyshack; 15-07-2013 at 18:48.

Rides
    It was only a batch of 74s that were affected, as Peter said.

Mine (a fairly late 93) went at 31K miles and the valves were razor sharp and receded into the head worse than any of those pictured above.

I guess its a question of "Do you feel lucky ?".

Personally, I wouldn't buy 74s. If I had a set that were still visibly good and had 50K miles on them I'd use them. If they were new, I'd toss a coin.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If they were new, I'd toss a coin.
    Odds are worse than that, 62.5%.

It all depends on if Nissan managed to remove or hadn't supplied any to the European distribution centre as spares during that last 1-2 years that the bad valves were made. They appear to shove a load of stuff on the shelf and sell with a set initial markup and annual prices rises for as long as they last. When it's empty they make some more. The price goes up with a bump as the new price reflects the cost of making new stock in low volume. So they may have had a load of good ones in stock from '88 but on initially finding the problem in late '93 didn't trust them.

Like tappets went up with a bump in UK and when USA ran out of 300ZX ones they too went up over 100%.

Valve stem seals from both NOK and NDK have been replaced in UK with an item that fits UK production and are no doubt UK / Euro sourced. While the USA has never heard of the new part number and is still supplying the old ones. Prices are about $ = £ reflecting that the seals are current production (Old UK = current USA part lists to VQ and HR engines).

Pressure relief valves for oil cooler and filter are about 2.5x as expensive in UK as USA. Stock is low on one of them in the USA.

OK one UK Nissan on-line dealer has '74's listed at £1.20! Wait a bit longer and they will be paying us to test them.
    USA price for a '51 is $12.78