Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which car jack to buy ? £130 budget

Rides
    arcan alloy ones, got one at xmas, and know several friends (inc car workshop owners who use them daily for several years) had no issues, wish id bought them around 2 years ago as they were around £85-90then, now around £110.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Why would you want a leightweight trolly jack? I don't normally carry mine around like a handbag so the fact it weighs 50kg is surely a good thing. A jack's designed to lift a car for christs sake so I say the bigger and heavier it is the better.
    I agree somethings are better if heavy,
    But if you have the lightweight aluminum jack you wont feel so bad when you ask GF/wife to get it out the shed for you

Rides
    lol Gazoob, more like

Quote Originally Posted by Stidi View Post
    they do two arcan jacks. the 2ton aluminium racing jack and the **** off great big 50kg steel 3ton jobbie.
    I have the latter... and a bad back
    I had the 2 ton one everyone seems to have, however there seem to be 2, aluminium and aluminium/steel. I exchanged it for that big ass heavy ass 3 tonner, great jack for home use

However, just the thought of hauling that thing to drift days seems less appealing than dieing to be honest

A jack's designed to lift a car for christs sake so I say the bigger and heavier it is the better.
    That's quite narrow minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm looking at new ones too, but had heard that the ally Arcan ones don't wear too well with a lot of use? The steel ones are a lot more aren't they? I don't have a Costco card.

The Cook tools ones look good, but I haven't seen any long term tests of them, just what looks a little bit like instant DW fanboyism.
    It did come across a bit like that but...
    1. I can't find a significantly cheaper light weight low entry jack, Cook Tools jack inc's VAT and delivery.
    2. I think people who regularly attend drift days can appreciate a decent light jack, 12.5kg

One of the piston stopped returning in my 1st Arcan making it a 2 man job to jack the car, one to jack, the other to pop the piston up with a screw driver
    They are such popular jacks that a minor failure here or there doesn't necessarily mean it's worse than others.

For whoever hasn't seen them already, here is the one I'l probably buy if no one suggest a decent alternative:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/cook...group-buy.html
    Last edited by immy21; 03-07-2013 at 15:53.

Rides
    I have a lift master low jack for mine and it's the best jack i have ever had.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liftmaster-M...s=trolley+jack

Love the 360degree rotational jacking point as it makes life so much easier on times.

The built in light is more a gimmick though BUT has come in handy on times.

I had a bling type low jack before and it was rubbish compared to the one i now have.

Save yourself some money
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    I'm not a huge fan of the alloy jacks The cars seems more wobbly on the alloy one tho that might be just the one i have. I mainly use a 3 tonne steel clarke jack.

Also l.e.d lights are a great feature on jacks.

Rides
    The alloy one from Costco is the one I have and is very good would fully recommend it .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
    I have a lift master low jack for mine and it's the best jack i have ever had.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liftmaster-M...s=trolley+jack

Love the 360degree rotational jacking point as it makes life so much easier on times.

The built in light is more a gimmick though BUT has come in handy on times.

I had a bling type low jack before and it was rubbish compared to the one i now have.

Save yourself some money

Just what I needed, only 13.2Kg
    ordered

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    Just what I needed, only 13.2Kg
    ordered
    Its not going to fall apart thats for sure lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    I would be a bit dubious about a alloy jack considering i have managed to bend two steel 3tonne jacks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    I've got the Clarke equivalent of the Arcan one (but single piston, so only 1250kg). since it's aluminium, the additional flex in the frame does cause the bolts to come loose over time.

I've now switched them for proper high tensile bolts with permanent threadlock in and the jack now feels much better under use. it's been my main jack for about 4 years of heavy home use, working regularly on about 6 different cars.

This is the one I've got:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...m-trolley-jack

[Url]
    Got that Clarke jack too . It's held together with more Nissan bolts than my 13 but it's never let me down and has seen plenty of use.

Rides
    i rock this badboy http://www.amazon.co.uk/2500LE-Troll.../dp/B001SFXDM8

weighs about 40kg though so not one for chucking in the boot for a skid day specially with no handle but 85mm entry is good for working from home

Rides
    Nick, that looks perfect, cheers dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi Roku View Post
    I would be a bit dubious about a alloy jack considering i have managed to bend two steel 3tonne jacks.
    Ok, I'm going to ask it: how? That's more than unlucky. Were you lifting a train on a 45 degree slope? Or just trying to lift a Mitsi GTO?

Rides
    That Clarke jack is the most rubbish I've ever used, it lasted several lifts until an oil seal gave out and spewed oil.

Arcan FTW.

Rides
    Another Arcan Alloy owner Far better than the Halfords and RAC 3 ton jacks i had before. I even use it on the Landrover

They have shot up in price though, Was about £80 when i got mine last year but last time I look they were about £110
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the alloy jacks The cars seems more wobbly on the alloy one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachi Roku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    That Clarke jack is the most rubbish I've ever used, it lasted several lifts until an oil seal gave out and spewed oil.

Arcan FTW.
    Need I say more?

Rides
    Need I say more?
    Yes I'm not sure if you're recommending the Arcan one, recommending a steel one, ragging on Clarke stuff, or just saying everything's rubbish

Liftmaster orderered about 5AM, dispatched at 9, winner

Rides
    Maybe they should start making trolley jacks out of chocolate? Would be nice and light and when your car drops on you you'll have something nice to eat while you're waiting to be rescued or taking your last breath

Rides
    Maybe they should start making trolley jacks out of chocolate? Would be nice and light and when your car drops on you you'll have something nice to eat while you're waiting to be rescued or taking your last breath
    You'd be an idiot to work under a car without axle stands, aluminium or steel jack

Rides
    There is nothing wrong with alloy jacks. They are made out of thick sections of alloy and much stronger than the pissy steel plate some companies use.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_s13 View Post
    You'd be an idiot to work under a car without axle stands, aluminium or steel jack
    Chocolate axle stands?