Thread: CA18DET: should i set revlimiter to 8000rpm with this setting?

Rides

CA18DET: should i set revlimiter to 8000rpm with this setting?

260 tomei cams
    and tomei single valve springs
    tomei camgears
    oem rev limiter is set to 7200Rpm i believe
    everytime over rev 7200rpm my spark plugs go bad and the car looses power
    i have to change them for new ones.

here are more mods i have so you guys can help me out with this.

forged internals, gt2860rs, haltech 1000 ecu
    walbro 255lph , 800cc deatchwerks injectors
    FPR aeromotive set to about 50psi
    and more basic stuff

i need some opinions from people with similiar configurations
    regards from peru

Rides
    Nice looking 13

Any more pictures of the r31?

Rides
    I suspect with cams like that, the lifters won't be doing too well at that rpm and I suspect they'd be at least one of the causes of the problems.

if you want to rev higher, I'd look at switching to solid lifters and with tomei procams cams (though from what I recall they're a pain to get out of tomei).

I wouldn't bother myself though, given that the 2860RS won't be developing much meaningful power, certainly not enough to raise the rev limit to cause all the other problems of high rev limits.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    All spark plugs are good to well over 10K and don't fail due to revs and shouldn't fail due to rev limiter operation so something else is killing them.

Timing, Mixture or oil.
    http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/te...plug-fault.htm

A Honda CJ250/250G5 would without fail snap it's cam chain tensioner at 9600rpm. Redline 9500rpm. Plugs NGK B8ES. Took one apart and found 6 tensioner tails in the sump.

Rides
    tHANKS SKYSHACK for that info.. i will research more about it..... soon i will tune my haltech on the dyno so.. i will ask the guys down here too

Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    All spark plugs are good to well over 10K and don't fail due to revs and shouldn't fail due to rev limiter operation so something else is killing them.

Timing, Mixture or oil.
    http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/te...plug-fault.htm

A Honda CJ250/250G5 would without fail snap it's cam chain tensioner at 9600rpm. Redline 9500rpm. Plugs NGK B8ES. Took one apart and found 6 tensioner tails in the sump.

Rides
    Alanjuggler, thanks for you information. so basically your opinion is too leave it at the factory cut which i think is 7200?? i have set it to 7500rpm

Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    I suspect with cams like that, the lifters won't be doing too well at that rpm and I suspect they'd be at least one of the causes of the problems.

if you want to rev higher, I'd look at switching to solid lifters and with tomei procams cams (though from what I recall they're a pain to get out of tomei).

I wouldn't bother myself though, given that the 2860RS won't be developing much meaningful power, certainly not enough to raise the rev limit to cause all the other problems of high rev limits.

Rides
    the only time I felt that I needed more rev limit was with my GT2876R - I raised it to 7500rpm but I was using standard cams, so wouldn't have had the same load on the valve train.

I'd keep it at something sensible and think about the modifications you'll need to run it reliably.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I would say the problem you have is within the seting and tuning of the Haltech.
    You have soft and hard limits regarding the rev limits.

The soft limit will take smaller steps to stay below the rev limit. As example rev limit 7500-7800rpm
    The hard limit take massive and more abrupt actions to stay below the rev limit to protect the engine. As example rev limit 8000rpm.

Get the setings right and do a propper tuning.

Rides
    Thanks for your feedback alan, let me ask you something regarding sparkplugs and boost.. im at 15psi using bkr6e ngks the cheap ones, what do you guys use or recommend if i wanna boost 20psi? i was told that i could use bkr7s for 20psi boost, Now i dont know if its recommended to boost 20psi on gt2860rs any opinions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    the only time I felt that I needed more rev limit was with my GT2876R - I raised it to 7500rpm but I was using standard cams, so wouldn't have had the same load on the valve train.

I'd keep it at something sensible and think about the modifications you'll need to run it reliably.

Rides
    shogun thanks for your reply yeah i think its the haltech tuning, i havent tune it yet they just left the car driveable so i can move it to the tuner....
    there is something i wanna ask,

my Fuel pressure is set to 50PSI and i have deatchwerks injectors 800cc with walbro 255lph high pressure. The flow report says in the Fuel pressure correction chart that @50psi (3.40bar) the flow rate is 853cc/min. In your opinion considering my settings, should I leave it like that and tune the haltech? or lower it to 40psi, Chart says @40spi flow rate is 763cc/min . I wanna know some opinions and then see what the tuner is going to tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I would say the problem you have is within the seting and tuning of the Haltech.
    You have soft and hard limits regarding the rev limits.

The soft limit will take smaller steps to stay below the rev limit. As example rev limit 7500-7800rpm
    The hard limit take massive and more abrupt actions to stay below the rev limit to protect the engine. As example rev limit 8000rpm.

Get the setings right and do a propper tuning.

Rides
    You should first decide what power you are aiming for.
    The injectors should match that power (use this calculator or equal to get a rough estimation).
    http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/hp-calculator

If the injectors are large enough, you should adjust the fuel base pressure to 3bar.
    Duty cycle prefferably around 80%.
    If they are slightly small, you could increase the base pressure a bit to adapt to the power.

I would let the tuner do the work since a wrong fuel and ignition map could ruin your motor.

There are many other parameters to consider prior to do the tuning/maping.

Boost pressure, hardware adaption, pumps, plugs, coils, camsettings, ecu-setup .... Just to mention some.

Rides
    Thanks shogun... for your help i understand it better now

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    You should first decide what power you are aiming for.
    The injectors should match that power (use this calculator or equal to get a rough estimation).
    http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/hp-calculator

If the injectors are large enough, you should adjust the fuel base pressure to 3bar.
    Duty cycle prefferably around 80%.
    If they are slightly small, you could increase the base pressure a bit to adapt to the power.

I would let the tuner do the work since a wrong fuel and ignition map could ruin your motor.

There are many other parameters to consider prior to do the tuning/maping.

Boost pressure, hardware adaption, pumps, plugs, coils, camsettings, ecu-setup .... Just to mention some.