Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught by community speed check, intention of prosecution?

Rides

Rides
    You need to speak to the Norfolk Constabulary and find out exactly what's happened. They, and only they, are going to be able to tell you whether the NIP was issued by mistake instead of a warning letter. Do that now and then update the thread.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX_BIG View Post
    +1

you got caught. dont speed in a 30. 39 in a 30 is a piss take.

you're the same person who would be saying 'they should be out catching rapists' if it was a copper.

i think its a shame they dont have more powers. if i was careless enough to be doing nearly 40 in a 30.. i would take the fine.. infact, id be fooking pleased with a letter. im not gonna go on with the ' if you hit someone shit'

way i see it.. even if you think your mr safe, if u hit someone -> they find out you're speeding.. you are ****ed.

edit to add.. im far from a saint.. but if i got caught, i would take it on the chin.
    Like I have said a few times, I'm not trying to get out of it, just trying to find out more information as to what's happening, I was led to believe community safety speed checks would result in points. But that letter gives me the impression it will.

Rides
    That's looks like a proper NIP.

So it wasn't a community plod but a proper plod just being very laid back. As it's a proper plod he doesn't need a photo and you don't get 2 warning letters. At 39mph you may get an option for a speed awareness course.

They don't have to have a camera van or a fixed camera. It can be still be radar or laser either hand held or on tripod. Just because most enforceable speed traps are van and fixed cameras run by "partnerships" it doesn't mean the police have stopped doing their job with more conventional kit.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed102.htm
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/radar1.htm

Rides
    Well this is a new one on me. I'd have serious doubts that the NIP is from the evidence of a community volunteer sitting beside the road. Without going into the ins and outs, its just not the done thing evidence wise. For example even a police officer wouldn't issue a NIP from just zapping people beside the road with a handheld, its a evidential mine field if its contested in court.

You have to reply to that letter and say who was driving the vehicle at the time. Its offence not to. You'll then be sent another letter in due course where you will have the option of accepting the offence or contesting. That's where you can request the evidence they have against you, and who collected it.

Whilst everything about it seems wrong to me I cant say 100% its not the case. Ive been out of uniform for 2 years now working for the home office, so I am well out of the loop in relation to local stuff.

Rides
    The camera didn't look anything like that, a small hand held thing, also he had a plain hi viz with trainers on. I'm going to do as cluck said and ring Norfolk constabulary tomorrow and see what the crack is.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    That's looks like a proper NIP.

So it wasn't a community plod but a proper plod just being very laid back. As it's a proper plod he doesn't need a photo and you don't get 2 warning letters. At 39mph you may get an option for a speed awareness course.

They don't have to have a camera van or a fixed camera. It can be still be radar or laser either hand held or on tripod. Just because most enforceable speed traps are van and fixed cameras run by "partnerships" it doesn't mean the police have stopped doing their job with more conventional kit.
    That picture looks like a civilian operating a tripod mounted camera. Near enough every camera van is operated by civilians. You would never find a NIP come through the post from a hand held radar unless the officer tried to stop you and you refused to stop. Then it goes on written evidence given by the police in a statement rather than digital evidence which is a PITA.
    Last edited by Prior; 11-06-2013 at 19:01.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post

if a copper had caught me fair play, I admit I was in the wrong and he is doing his job. But when it's a ritcheous vigilantly justice warrior who has nothing better to do than catch people for renown enjoyment it annoys people.
    Hes not a vigilante, he is recording people who are speeding. You were speeding no matter who you said caught you. What does my nut is you think these people are bad, they have to use evidence the same as anyone else. Its clearly a FACT that you were speeding, youv just got a sandy vagina because it was a guy helping out his community rather than a paid up policeman. But youd probably be pissing and moaning even if it was a policeman that caught you.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Hes not a vigilante, he is recording people who are speeding. You were speeding no matter who you said caught you. What does my nut is you think these people are bad, they have to use evidence the same as anyone else. Its clearly a FACT that you were speeding, youv just got a sandy vagina because it was a guy helping out his community rather than a paid up policeman. But youd probably be pissing and moaning even if it was a policeman that caught you.
    The thing is, if it was a real policeman then there is no ifs of buts, you get prosecuted. If its community thing with hand-held (which are pretty poor for evidence) then there is a good chance he can contest it and get off with it. Which is why he is posting about it. What's wrong with trying?

And if you say you've never done 40mph in a 30 zone ever ever ever, then you're either a liar, or Mother Teresa.

Rides
    Request the following information from the issuing party.

1 - Photographic evidence of offence, to help identify the driver.
    2 - Type of device used to capture the offence.
    3 - Calibration certificate for device used.
    4 - Operators training certificate for device used.
    5 - Operators time sheet for the day in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Little bit of evasion and the right approach these things go away, just don't roll over easy, as with all speed cameras and safety vans they have no proof of who the driver is just who owns the car, don't implicate your self, think evasively and make it difficult they get bored and stop chasing. To many people taking the high road.. All of them have done 39 in a 30 most will have done double that at one point or another

Rides
    All very well you assuming that but I bet it's not the case with most, as it wouldn't be with me. If I got caught by a copper I'd accept it, be annoyed with myself, but wouldn't be 'pissing and moaning' and you've wrongly assumed. But if it was some community no-life with nothing better to do than stand at the side of the road with a crappy speed gun that would be different. I bet it's the same sort of people that give me a dirty look for doing 30 in a 30 in my car because it's modified and they're judgemental arseholes, yet don't bat an eyelid at some diesel rep-mobile doing 40.

Rides
    This thread can now be found on the first results page of a google search.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...eed+check+sign

You need to remove the photo of your NIP as it links you, your car and it's registered address.

E1 also needs to edit the quote to remove the photo.

If it was a community speed check there would have been two of them manning the trap.

Rides
    But the OP said he only saw one guy, and he didn't exactly look like a proper policeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    Well this is a new one on me. I'd have serious doubts that the NIP is from the evidence of a community volunteer sitting beside the road. Without going into the ins and outs, its just not the done thing evidence wise. For example even a police officer wouldn't issue a NIP from just zapping people beside the road with a handheld, its a evidential mine field if its contested in court.

You have to reply to that letter and say who was driving the vehicle at the time. Its offence not to. You'll then be sent another letter in due course where you will have the option of accepting the offence or contesting. That's where you can request the evidence they have against you, and who collected it.

Whilst everything about it seems wrong to me I cant say 100% its not the case. Ive been out of uniform for 2 years now working for the home office, so I am well out of the loop in relation to local stuff.
    Do what this man says it's the best advice.

Problem is it's not an impartial policeman who's manning this thing, it's some bitter old man who's got a vested interest in catching people speeding.

Who's to say the speed the guy wrote down was the actual speed that was recorded?
    Afterall he was sat there un-supervised.

Without a picture or video of the offence it's pretty much his word against the OP's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by *alansx* View Post
    I would just undertake them, oh wait that's illegal too isn't it?
    Undertaking isnt illegal if the the the the traffic in your lane is moving faster than the traffic in the right hnd lane.

There are other exceptions such as roads with two lanes n a solid white line in the middle and slow moving vehicles etc.

Bit off topic so apologies.

Rides
    Fight it til the end. It's always innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Good luck .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Undertaking isnt illegal if the the the the traffic in your lane is moving faster than the traffic in the right hnd lane.

There are other exceptions such as roads with two lanes n a solid white line in the middle and slow moving vehicles etc.

Bit off topic so apologies.
    Also legal on a one way system or so I believe but I was just jesting at the other comment about person in outside lane doing 70 because it's illegal to do more than 70 on a motorway. Anyways back on topic

Rides
    If you really want to fight it then go speak to a road traffic lawyer,

If not just pay the fine and 6 points!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Fight it til the end. It's always innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Good luck .
    although ... if you admit guilt the punishment is less than if they prove it ..... so if you are guilty you might want to bare that in mind ?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post
    No, all they want to do is catch people and ruin people's days. The bloke who got me was sat right next to where the limit changed from a 30 to a 60, not next to the school, not next to the park, not next to the zebra crossing etc. they are dicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Problem is it's not an impartial policeman who's manning this thing, it's some bitter old man who's got a vested interest in catching people speeding.

Who's to say the speed the guy wrote down was the actual speed that was recorded?
    Afterall he was sat there un-supervised.
    Without a picture or video of the offence it's pretty much his word against the OP's
    All of the above. Im all for road safety, but Im also aware that people who give up their time to sit by the side of the road are looking for results, particularly if they are sitting by the speed limit sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go