Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught by community speed check, intention of prosecution?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Pipe down about "the little losers" though, my dad does that and it stops people like you doing 30% over the limit through villagers like ours. Dont take your lack of judgement on a good samaritan who is volunteering to keep speeding out of the places where we live. Theres a good chap
    No, all they want to do is catch people and ruin people's days. The bloke who got me was sat right next to where the limit changed from a 30 to a 60, not next to the school, not next to the park, not next to the zebra crossing etc. they are dicks.

Rides
    There is the letter I have got, having read it I'm not sure what to think now? This it might just be what Kieran said.
    Last edited by chrisyboi s14; 11-06-2013 at 22:27. Reason: Full name and address in view + public forum= epic fail.

Rides
    that looks awfully official for a time wasting coffin dodger??

Rides
    it does....

but don't forget to wipe your arse on the letter before you send it back ..... just incase it is a pension-public-police-prat

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    that looks awfully official for a time wasting coffin dodger??
    That's what had me worried at first, but reading on the Norfolk police website, the coffin dodgers give details of my car to the police, the the police send me a letter of warning.
    It mentions section 172 at the bottom which is what you were on about.

Rides
    I think you really need the advice of someone who knows about this for sure, rather than get wound up or worried by speculation.

Rides
    Erm, is the OP 100% certain it was a community speed bod and not actually a police officer?

Check this page, on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary web-site - Linky, specifically this part

Quote Originally Posted by Cambs Constabulary speedwatch site
    Can motorists be prosecuted?

No these checks are about educating motorists.
    There's no grey area there, it's a straight "no" you cannot be prosecuted by being 'caught' be a speedwatch bod.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post
    That's what had me worried at first, but reading on the Norfolk police website, the coffin dodgers give details of my car to the police, the the police send me a letter of warning.
    It mentions section 172 at the bottom which is what you were on about.
    That's not a warning though, that's a notice of intention to prosecute.

You need to speak to the Norfolk Constabulary and find out if there's simply been a cock up because it's either that or it wasn't a community speedwatch bod who 'caught' you speeding.
    Last edited by Cluck; 11-06-2013 at 17:17.

Rides
    I got done once for 37mph on the way out of a 30, twas a copper in a car and he actually said to me that he wouldnt have wasted his time but for the people on the street complaining that it was being used as a rat run and they had to be seen to be doing something. The bloody picture on his fancy camera showed me just about at the national speed limit sign.... Quite the fair cop i had to admit

Rides
    That IS an Nip ... Ignore it at your peril .... By saying you are the driver you are not admitting you were guilty,mou are just admitting you were driving at the time .... If they do intend to prosecute, they will send the driver a further document where you get to admit guilt or deny it.

Clearly you are innocent here as it wasn't at a school .... So why don't you take it to court ?

Rides
    100% posative it was a community support officer, was wearing a high viz jacket and sat on a fold out chair with a little blue sign next to him saying safety speed check.

I'm not arguing that I was speeding, I was. As I drove past him I looked at my speedo and I knew I was, I thought he was just a builder at first.

Rides
    Have you asked on pepipoo for advice ?.??

Rides
    This is off the Suffolk constabulary website with regards to how it works.

Trained volunteers verify and record the registration numbers of offending vehicles.
    These details are forwarded to Suffolk Police who will send offenders a letter.
    A maximum of two letters will be sent to offenders.
    Persistent offenders may be targeted for police enforcement.
    Follow-up work on education and enforcement by Suffolk Police and our partners will also take place when appropriate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Have you asked on pepipoo for advice ?.??
    Is that a joke? Haha. Never heard or that website.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post
    Is that a joke? Haha. Never heard or that website.
    it used to be a decent site to get legal advice on motoring offences. now it is riddled with obnoxious twats i have found from recent experience

Rides
    Wow, if this was the police that had caught him and he was trying to get out of a fine everyone would be up in arms. But because its a community speed watch everyone wants him to help get out of it. Its the same people. Sometimes i wonder about the mentality of the people on this site because it makes me despair

Rides
    I don't agree - the Police are paid to enforce the law, it's their job so fair enough.

"community speed watch" on the other hand is just one step up from your typical "road captain" who'll sit in the middle/outside lane of the motorway at 70 because it's illegal to go faster than that so clearly they're not impeding anyone's progress

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I would hardly say people have been trying to get me out of it, just giving advice as to what to expect.

Also I think the reason people feel different towards it is, if a copper had caught me fair play, I admit I was in the wrong and he is doing his job. But when it's a ritcheous vigilantly justice warrior who has nothing better to do than catch people for renown enjoyment it annoys people.

All's I am trying to find out is what to expect to ease the mind as I was under the impression they could prosecute from a community warrior but now I'm not sure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Wow, if this was the police that had caught him and he was trying to get out of a fine everyone would be up in arms. But because its a community speed watch everyone wants him to help get out of it. Its the same people. Sometimes i wonder about the mentality of the people on this site because it makes me despair
    +1

you got caught. dont speed in a 30. 39 in a 30 is a piss take.

you're the same person who would be saying 'they should be out catching rapists' if it was a copper.

i think its a shame they dont have more powers. if i was careless enough to be doing nearly 40 in a 30.. i would take the fine.. infact, id be fooking pleased with a letter. im not gonna go on with the ' if you hit someone shit'

way i see it.. even if you think your mr safe, if u hit someone -> they find out you're speeding.. you are ****ed.

edit to add.. im far from a saint.. but if i got caught, i would take it on the chin.

Rides
    I do and don't agree with speed units in general. I believe speeding is a bit off in towns etc... Due to kids not being aware of there surroundings as well as adults. However how does a speed camera know if the car is stolen or the driver is drunk? More traffic cars in my opinion.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I don't agree - the Police are paid to enforce the law, it's their job so fair enough.

"community speed watch" on the other hand is just one step up from your typical "road captain" who'll sit in the middle/outside lane of the motorway at 70 because it's illegal to go faster than that so clearly they're not impeding anyone's progress
    I would just undertake them, oh wait that's illegal too isn't it?