Thread: New feature on my SR20DET (hence post in S14) S13 - Auto engine stop!

Rides

New feature on my SR20DET (hence post in S14) S13 - Auto engine stop!

Hi guys,

My car has decided to grace me with a new feature, free of charge!

After giving it some beans, coming off the throttle and coasting slowing down results in the engine stalling out and the ignition lights coming on, which is great when I'm pulling up outside my house but not so good on busy roundabouts, junctions and motorways. Doesn't judder, no smoke, no smell, make any untoward noises, just stops working. Starts on the button again after, always starts fine hot or cold.

It's not every time, maybe 50%, which is helpful in diagnosis. Occasionally when the car is hot, it will also idle like utter shite skipping between 3 and 4 cylinders.

Could faulty wiring at the fuel pump be at fault? I've quickly done a fuel pump hard wire the other week, although it was done quickly I did properly crimp cables and nothing is loose. It's the only thing I've changed recently..

What else could cause a cut out after load? Plugs haven't been done for a while, they're the correct grade though. I dunno

Cheers

Rob

Rides
    Plugs would be the first thing I would do.

Rides
    Got the same issue on the RB25 Stagea. Stalls after giving it some. Not much fun going round corners without power steering!! Idle is fine although when idling and clutch is pressed, revs drop slightly but never stalls. Plugs have been changed, and weren't too bad, so been told it may be a dirty (i.e. sticky) IAC valve. Not had chance to look at it yet but as it's not a daily, it's not so much of an issue.

Rides
    Well, plugs need doing anyway do I'll give that a go.

Yeah Carlos, loss of power steering and brakes can be a bit unnerving!

Rides
    Check the amf is clean too. Give the element a blast with spray on degreaser, dont try and physically touch the element though far too delicate.

Rides
    I cut the speedo input to my ecu to remove the 180km/h speed limiter and if I leave the wires disconnected my car does this, I think it uses some of the gearbox sensors to pick the revs up a little on idle. If I reconnect the wire it's fine.

Do they have a neutral switch that may have gone down on yours perhaps?

Rides
    this is the exact problem you get when running at atmospheric dump valve with a MAF, not just switched to this by any chance? you floor it, lift off and clutch, it dumps the boost but still puts the fuel in and basically runs so rich briefly that it stalls the engine or bogs down to a near stall

Rides

Rides
    I run pigeon but I'll give the pipework a once over for leaks tomorrow.

Rides
    Do you have an atmospheric BOV? I have heard that this can happen with them on SR20's! It dumps all the boost and over fuels to the point where it stalls.

Rides
    No, as above, run pigeon.

Changed the plugs, no difference. Time for leak testing!

Rides
    I've bought a leak tester but don't really need it any more. Took all the boost piping off the car, reworked it, removed a few joins. Put a vacuum hose from the rear to the front of the plenum replacing 2 shitty bits of **** old fuel pipe with screws in the ends. Put a cross section in the intake piping next to the compressor housing of the turbo.

Now idling completely straight hot and cold, been out for various runs at various speeds hot and cold given it all the beans I could then off the throttle and no stalling happy chappy.

So, if you come across this in the future, there's some things you can try above. Thanks all!