Thread: Is this the right Walbro Fuel Pump?

Rides

Is this the right Walbro Fuel Pump?

So yesterday the std fuel pump decided to die on me, it was to be expected anyway, I had been hearing a deeper and slower tone every time I started the car for a good couple of weeks now.
    It couldn't have happened in a better place, my unit, where I already had the replacement Walbro I bought a good 3 years ago now from someone on the forum and never bothered changing it and obviously all my tools.
    That said it still wasn't easy I had just filled the tank a couple of days ago and ended up spending a good half hour elbow deep in petrol trying to get the bastard thing to slot back in place - not nice!

Anyway the point is, though it seems to work fine and it did say "Walbro" on the pump body when I put it next to the one that came out it looked tiny, now at the time I didn't think much of it as I thought it is just a high performance unit but after looking around on the net it seems that the Walbro pump for S14a that people use is physically identical to the one that the car has as standard.

Does anyone recognize the pump, do you know if its a good un or should I be looking to change asap?
    I'm gonna be driving the car some 4/5k miles this summer around europe the last thing I want is to have a rubbish / not appropriate / wrong or not up to the job fuel pump on the car.

photo(1).JPG

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Nope, looks fine to me, walbro's are about half the size of the original pump. Read the part number off the side...should be GSS340, GSS341 or GSS342
    Last edited by GarageSR; 14-06-2013 at 11:45.

Clickme

Rides
    Unfortunately fitted it and didn't take any part numbers before hand I only have that picture, damn it! - Its going to be annoying now specially as everyone says they're really loud and I can barely (I mean really just about) hear it, so I keep thinking its the wrong / bad unit, car runs fine though... maybe I'm panicking a bit too much but with the amount of miles I'm about to drive I want to make sure the car is in tip top form.

Are Walbros prone to problems or once you change the standard rubbish pump that tends to be it as far as fuel pumps go?