Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roll cages and bucket seats at the ring

Rides

roll cages and bucket seats at the ring

going to the ring in august car is caged and winged drivers bucket, from the rules i can see it states that while open to public the above are not alloowed?

anyone been recently with a car in a similar state?

im abit mythed planning on going 2/3/4 august

thanks in advance for any advice

Rides
    These are ok for track days at the ring but not for tourist days, by the way have you checked the new opening times for this year due to the track currently at auction?

Rides
    i see im not actually booking it but from what i can gather its a tourist day so looks like ill be finding something else to take lol doh the dates above are the right dates that its open afaik

thanks ben

Rides
    Ironic really, they don't even insist you wear a helmet of follow any sort of health and safety, but a bit of protection from cage and seats is not allowed!

That place is madness. I'd never go on another tourist day there myself, recipe for disaster.

Rides
    it seems strange to me been speaking to my mate who is organising it and he saying that on all the public days his been on x5 ish this year there are still track/race cars going out?

reading the rules i can probably get away with losing the quick release hub replace seat with std and two bob harness and pad roll cage around doors?

Rides
    Roll cages are allowed providing they don't hinder your entry and exit of the vehicle, the Ears on the bucket seats that they refer to is due to interfering with medical teams in removing injured people from the cars, whilst trying to retain a straight spine and neck support, and the removable stearing wheels has always been an issue due to them poping off whilst people are driving flat out, and causing crashes, rented race cars are allowed out on tourist days, track cars are welcome providing they are inline with TUV regulations, it is all down to the marshels at the barrier tho, I was there in November and was turned away from the gate towards the end of the day and told to remove my towing eyes due to being dangerous to pedestrians was out there in March rented a Suzuki swift most fun ive had in years, and ive recently returned from the N24hr where I left a track car out there in a garage to get TUV

Rides
    cool so really then if i remove the top door bar (apex cage) lose the eared seat and bolt the snap off back to the hub then really im good to go?

i know what youre saying re the swift but i can afford to do that atm

ill speak to you more about this weds eve as you seem to be clued right up on it all

Rides
    We went at the end of April to tourist days with an S13 with cage and bucket. Nobody said anything and I had no idea it was against the rules until I saw this thread! We even got held up at the gate and the car inspected by two 'Ring officials as it was a bit on the low side. Neither mentioned the cage/bucket:

Go and enjoy it. I wouldn't even worry about it if I were you.

Rides
    ha ha theres no hiding any of that there and its deffo v low lol

yeah my mates are saying just get on with it, think its the way tbh its gonna be a lot more enjoyable taking it all set up

did you have turn buckle harnesses? did they even look in the car?

Rides
    It's not my car but I'm 99% it's a turn-buckle harness in it on the drivers side. One looked in the car while asking a few questions regarding a mix-up with the lap ticket (they have a stupid Ring'Card system there which means you end up with loads of identical credit cards floating around your car, one of which will have a lap on it and the rest won't!). While one was asking questions, the others were checking the rear arches and tyre clearance. Then they waved the car on and that was that.

As long as you're not doing anything to piss them off, like drifting the roundabout at the entrance or revving the tits off your car in the car park, I can't believe there'd be an issue with having too much safety equipment. Obviously as long as your car doesn't have bits falling off it. But the S13 above has cable-tied bumpers and looks truly shonky, so you should be fine.

Rides
    sounds pretty fair tbh, i guess im lucky that the boys im going with are familiar with how it all works.

yeah no chance of that ill save it for the road lol

cool thanks for the info mate and assuming my cars not shonky jolly decent of you!!

Rides
    You wont get on with seats with "ears" or if you cage comes up higher than your steering wheels, Removable boss'es also are not allowed.

They say no turn buckle harness either but look at all the OEM stuff that goes on that has them

New rules are to try and stop race cars using TF as practice sessions, See the BMW race car last year that crashed then drove half a lap spilling fluid all over the track.

PS, I would highly suggest renting and not using you own car, that will be uninsured, for TF.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFIA View Post
    These are ok for track days at the ring but not for tourist days, by the way have you checked the new opening times for this year due to the track currently at auction?
    All dates for this year are going ahead.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jamie- View Post
    You wont get on with seats with "ears" or if you cage comes up higher than your steering wheels
    Erm... Not much of a cage if it doesn't get higher than the steering wheel?

Rides
    The seat in that 13 doesnt have the full ears

Rides
    No, but it does have a full cage.

Rides

Like this.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kiruji View Post
    No, but it does have a full cage.
    Read my post, If the door bars come up past your wheel then the chances of being let on are very very slim. I know this for a fact because i know of several cars being turned away.

Rides
    Aah, door bars above steering wheel... I did read your post, you didn't say door bars.

All I can say is just over a month ago, they didn't bat an eyelid at a loud, fully stripped, caged, buckets S13 with bits of aero cable tied on.
    Last edited by kiruji; 03-06-2013 at 15:24.

Rides
    Might of worded it badly then, I assumed you would of know what i meant the first time though