Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 Crew represent.

Rides

E46 Crew represent.

Seeing as the Weekender this year sounds like it's probably going to have more E46 M3s than 200's show up, and I never like to miss out on an internet fad, I sort of ended up with one

Did a deal involving my old E36 M3 Evo a few months back. Sad day seeing it go as it's been the best all round car I've owned, no reliability dramas and lots of sexy instant throttle response raspiness

Only went to sell it back to a previous owner, long story short ended up with an E46 SMGII in Carbon Black after not really having an intention of buying one just yet.

SMG probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but the car had everything else I would have wanted - black leather, telly/nav, Harman Kardon plus a few mods I'd have ended up doing at some point:

• 6-pot BBK up front
    • Porsche/Brembo rear brakes
    • HSD coilovers
    • 19" wheels - full set of 4x rears
    • 265s all round
    • Some sort of remap, no idea who, what or when
    • Other shit

Some pictures, thread is worthless without and all that:

All I've really added so far is matt black kidneys and smoked indicators because they cost pennies, still need silver bulbs.

A few plans, mostly simple stuff - tidy bits of trim up and sort out wee bits of damage to the front bumper, then get CSL rep corner splitters for the front and smoked LED tails. CSL rep bootlid someday when I can afford it, and maybe the rear diffuser too.

Other plans are to get bolt-on spacers that fit the stud conversion and rear Federal RS-Rs for the 18" track wheels - I still have the black BBS (reps probably) from the E36 to murder it out with.

Finally, the fun bit... the lads at Automek (Check them out, pics of mental supercharged K24 Elise build - http://www.facebook.com/AutomekEK) had the car on the ramps a few weeks back and spotted the beginnings of a crack in the boot floor I knew it was likely to happen at some point as the car is a 2002 and has never had the BMW fix carried out. Have spoken to a couple of BMW garages but between the age and the mods and the timescales involved it would almost definitely get declined by BMW as a goodwill fix, so I've bit the bullet and Chizfab will be fixing it and fitting the Redish Motorsports strengthening kit in a few weeks time

Sucks, but it was inevitable. At least this way I can drive it like a penis, flat shift and set the SMG to fullmega without worrying I'm about to tear the arse end off my car

More soon
    Last edited by Chavbo; 30-04-2013 at 21:49.

Rides
    Can't make my mind up about this car, dont like the colour much

Good write up chavbo, shame to hear of the crack but the redish solution does seem to be more than what BMW do anyway. BMW just replace the floor again, erm it cracks lads. Mine so far is all clear but its a matter of time I suppose.
    i still think we have a way to go to catch up with the sx's on here!

Rides
    Looking good, out of interest, did your E36 have ARP rod bolts or was it standard? I keep hearing that any E36 M3 or pre 2003 E46 M3 are prone to the rod bolts stretching at high RPM. Not sure if it's the usual keyboard warrior scaremongering or something to get done.

Rides
    Clear your pm's please

Rides
    Rory - that's what I figured, this way I can take it on track and not worry about a collapsed arse! They all seem to be a ticking timebomb, mine is only about 1.5cm visible so far but better to get it fixed properly now.

Dave - not as far as I was aware, it saw around 5 Knockhill trackdays and 2 ring trips with me without issue. I didn't tend to bounce the limiter much as tempting as it is...

Mel - deleted some, fire away

Rides

My e46 330Cd M Sport facelift.

Its ok... but i am not overly awed with it. The lack of a proper LSD makes my chips wet and the ride is bloody awful.

The interior is great, it looks the part and handles well. It also goes like a rocket and doesnt use a lot of fuel doing it.

Going to shift it and the SX on soon and get a 350z.

Rides
    I'm not convinced by any of the strengthening solutions available as it seems to me they just plate under the subframe mounts? The floor is weak at the creases around the rear frame mounts (the front was strengthened compared to the E36) so it's just going to crack somewhere else to my mind...

I haven't checked mine recently. Getting some interesting noises from the middle/rear. Reckon the prop donut has done one as have the RTABs. CSL items are only £3 more than the normal ones!

Going down to 18s on mine as well. The ride is fine on 19s but it's silky smooth on the 18s! Feeling some NT03s or something like that

Rides
    love it mate. i'm currently bowling around in a e46 325ci convertible and want to chop it in for a e46 m3.

What's the smg like? i'm very naive to them. From what i've read they're a bit marmite

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I'm not convinced by any of the strengthening solutions available as it seems to me they just plate under the subframe mounts? The floor is weak at the creases around the rear frame mounts (the front was strengthened compared to the E36) so it's just going to crack somewhere else to my mind...

I haven't checked mine recently. Getting some interesting noises from the middle/rear. Reckon the prop donut has done one as have the RTABs. CSL items are only £3 more than the normal ones!

Going down to 18s on mine as well. The ride is fine on 19s but it's silky smooth on the 18s! Feeling some NT03s or something like that
    Might just be a good sales pitch but Redish seem to have a decent theory on it, makes sense to me but I'm no engineer! On this video:

Mine makes the odd interesting noise too but I'm partly putting that down to the stiff suspension, I'm still trying to get used to it as I've not even done 1000 miles in it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    love it mate. i'm currently bowling around in a e46 325ci convertible and want to chop it in for a e46 m3.

What's the smg like? i'm very naive to them. From what i've read they're a bit marmite
    Thanks dude, I say just do it. Floor issues aside you won't regret it

If you asked me 2 years ago what SMG was like I'd have said it was rubbish, mainly as I would only have ever considered a manual at the time and wouldn't have taken the time to get to grips with it. Through my work recently I've driven lots of decent modern flappy paddle boxes (mainly GT-Rs) so it's changed my way of thinking... I'm pleasantly surprised with it so far, it takes a bit of practice to cruise around smoothly by timing when to lift at the right moment and it's certainly no dual clutch setup, but driven flat out it feels properly violent

It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than I expected

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    Mine makes the odd interesting noise too but I'm partly putting that down to the stiff suspension, I'm still trying to get used to it as I've not even done 1000 miles in it yet!
    Getting some interesting noises from the middle/rear
    Noise's could be the M clunk if it happens when changing gears completley normal apparently, shit me up when i first got it.

Floor cracking, they did move the spot welds on later cars and reinforced the floor a bit, but they still crack and its ALL E46 models not just m3's. Just happens more often as the driving style is somewhat different

Rides
    btw, anyone want to buy some CSL wheels potentially? Not legit ones unfortunately but they have pretty fresh tyres on!

Rides
    How much are you after? The thought had crossed my mind about going for a square setup with CSL rep rears all round...

Rides
    Now got one of these on the way for more brrrraaapps

Would be rude not to since the exhaust will be off shortly...

Rides
    I got a blue coupe, on bbs lm reps and hsd coils, angel eye/HIDs. Can post pics if anyone wants.

I also have a very good quality fibreglass CSL rep bootlid for sale, in primer. Paid 250 for it. Dont want to spend money painting it when I could be getting goodies for my sx. PM me if you are interested.

Rides
    Arrrghhh... That sounds pretty cheap but is totally at the wrong time Let me have a think...

Rides
    How much are you after? The thought had crossed my mind about going for a square setup with CSL rep rears all round...
    Not sure how much yet in all honesty.

I haven't settled on a replacement set yet either! One minute I want NT03s, the next some BBS CHs (they're out though now, they weigh a bloody ton!) then some Grids then some LMs if I find a set... Argh!

Rides
    Arrrghhh... That sounds pretty cheap but is totally at the wrong time Let me have a think...
    No rush, Ive had it in my loft for the past 6 months. Id let it go for 180. Otherwise its going on ebay within the next few months. PM if/when you are interested.

Rides
    Not sure how much yet in all honesty.

I haven't settled on a replacement set yet either! One minute I want NT03s, the next some BBS CHs (they're out though now, they weigh a bloody ton!) then some Grids then some LMs if I find a set... Argh!
    Shame about the CH's, they've always been one of my favourites I still love the style of the rear OEM 19s so I think I'll stick with them for a while, especially as loads have CS or CSL wheels/reps on now. Might need to look at spacing the rears out, they look a little weak in the arches compared to the front set with all the camberzz

Quote Originally Posted by ratgreen View Post
    No rush, Ive had it in my loft for the past 6 months. Id let it go for 180. Otherwise its going on ebay within the next few months. PM if/when you are interested.
    This is brutal... I really can't afford not to How is the fit?

Rides
    Quick one from tonight

Last edited by Chavbo; 07-05-2013 at 22:07.

Rides
    Shame about the CH's, they've always been one of my favourites I still love the style of the rear OEM 19s so I think I'll stick with them for a while, especially as loads have CS or CSL wheels/reps on now. Might need to look at spacing the rears out, they look a little weak in the arches compared to the front set with all the camberzz

This is brutal... I really can't afford not to How is the fit?
    TBH I dont know, not tried fitting it! If im bored this weekend I might offer it up and see how it is. Ill let you know.