Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: my s13 minter project only done 12k

Rides
    £600 !!!!! You sir are a total, total, total............a word has yet to be inveted to decribe exactly what you are, but you are one.....and a total, total one at that!!!!

no but seriously, I hate you!

Good luck with it!

No I'm sorry I don't mean that, I really do hate you!

Rides
    scatamonky lol cheers lady luck was on my side (saying that the luck i have the bottom end will probabley rattle its nuts off)
    jonny yeah she goin to need some time and effort but if its not on road by mid to end of june i will be gutted busy at work so trying to find the time.

list so far
    cambelt kit
    all levels changing
    oil and filter(10/40 semi)
    plugs
    fuel filter
    battery
    discs and pads all round
    drain tank
    remove rear spoiler and check for rust
    under seal car (still working out what to use)
    get up on axle stands and check everything over

Rides
    cambelt kit - Gates are a really good pattern manufacturer of cambelt kits. I've fitted 3 to my white one over the last 16 years.
    all levels changing - Makes sense.
    oil and filter(10/40 semi) - Fuchs Titan 5W40 Semi Syn is good oil at a reasonable price
    plugs - NGK BCPR6ES for a standard car - Manual says gap to 1.1 but I'd recommend 0.9
    fuel filter - Get one for a 300ZX Z32. They are bigger, flow better and cost the same. They clip into the springclip holder just fine.
    battery - I have a Unipart GBA3004 which is the smaller of the two standard batteries. The CCA is 400 and the Ah is 50, the terminals are the right way round and it cost me £65. I got it from Partco.
    discs and pads all round - www.brakeparts.co.uk used to be a good source but they've changed their website and I couldn't get it to work last time I was on it.
    drain tank - makes sense
    remove rear spoiler and check for rust - PM me if you want help with this. I'm probably one of the few people that has removed it then refitted it
    under seal car (still working out what to use) - That's a long old job to do properly as you need to remove whats there to spot the rust. Allow plenty of time and read plenty of resto. threads
    get up on axle stands and check everything over - Take a camera, we all want to see

EDIT: Oh, when you change the oil, jack the car on the passenger side before you drain it as you'll get more out that way. When I do mine, I replace the filter with an OEM one from Nissan (they're not that expensive). I measure out 3.5 litres of oil and fill the filter from the 3.5 ltrs to prime the filter. Wipe round the rubber seal with a smear of oil, fit and put the rest in through the camcover filler. Don't forget to replace the sump plug like I did one time and ended up using 3.5 litres of Silkolene Pro S as flushing oil

The reason for all this shenanigans is that the dipstick is an implement of the devil on a CA. It lies, it cheats and it will kill your engine when you are not looking.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 02-05-2013 at 20:20.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    under seal car (still working out what to use) - That's a long old job to do properly as you need to remove whats there to spot the rust. Allow plenty of time and read plenty of resto. threads
    get up on axle stands and check everything over - Take a camera, we all want to see

The reason for all this shenanigans is that the dipstick is an implement of the devil on a CA. It lies, it cheats and it will kill your engine when you are not looking.
    3M under seal is the real deal. Forget Tetrosyl and other budget brands, you might as well use emulsion
    CA dipstick is Best way I have found is to pull it out and leave it overnight before re dipping. I think what happens is when you pull it out it draws oil up the tube and gives a false reading. By leaving overnight it allows the oil to drain down the tube. It is, a right PITA though
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Just seen this, you lucky sod.
    like Jonny said have a read through petrols thread, it will take a while but it's worth it.
    theres a lot of people who think they know what they're taking about but jonny and the man above are the two that actually do.
    If your going to take advice on anything from anyone then they're the people you want to listen to.

Rides
    Yeah, change the oil before you even try to start it. This cannot be stressed strongly enough. My S13 was layed up for 3 only 3 years, I started it and ran it once a month or so but when it came time to sell it I told the dude it hasnt been driven in 3 years, its running perfectly but BEFORE you drive it at all, change the oil and filter.

"Yeah", he said "No problem" He said, standing next to my car running as smooth as a kitten.

Later that night I get a phone call, "Dude, this car you sold me, the bottom end just went on it!"

"Did you change the oil before you drove it?" I asked

"Yeah, of course I did!" he lied.

Turns out he got it home and immediately started doing doughnuts and revving the nuts off it cause a mate of mate of a mate saw the idiocy as it happened.

The moral is, oil left in an engine for that long loses its viscosity.

......I miss that car, I wish I had never sold it....(sniff)...it cries out my name in the night....

Rides
    ok great thanks for all the advice lads,will be getting her up on axle stands this weekend and will be sure to get a load of pics.

Rides
    well got her up on axle stands today had a good look over there is some surface rust nothing to bad,i got some pics of the worst bits the rest of the under side is ok, jonny see what you mean about the spoiler was ****er to get off but under the spoiler is like new no rust at all, found out why the clutch pedal goes to the floor the slave cylinder has a leak so easy fix here are some pics

[/U
    RL]

/s194.photobucket.com/user/kj353/media/nissan%20200/200sx031.jpg.html]

/user/kj353/media/nissan%20200/200sx032.jpg.html][/URL]

Rides
    Not bad at all! Really loving this car!

Rides
    bit of an update, got the cambelt kit oil and filter and tank drained today put a little bit of oil in bore and turned over with no plugs in then wacked plugs and coils back and on 2nd turn it fired up, so im one happy man still got a big list of things to do but it will get there.

Rides
    Great start and good to see you resisted the temptation to just spark it up

Rides
    yeah good things come to those who wait, got the new clutch slave cylinder today and cleaned the wheels im really loving this car and the more i work on it the more i love it cant wait to get it out on the road.

Rides
    Just found this. This car needs a preservation order.

I think you would easily make 300% to 400% profit if you wanted to sell. There is virtually nothing up for sale at any less than £2.5-3K.

Rides
    Great work buddy, looks like youll have her up and ready soon enough, I woul say its worth adding brake flexi pipes to your list though as they will probably want to balloon if there over 20 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    cheers lads, skyshack yeah there is money to be made in the car for sure but im going to keep it looking forward to getting her out on the road and get to some meets
    led good thinking will have a look.

Rides
    bit of an update lads its got the mot booked for the 25th so fingers crossed
    got the
    plugs done gaped to 0.9(cheers jonny)
    pads all round(discs where to good to change)
    all levels done
    gear and diff oil done
    300zx filter
    boot was rust free but took off all plastic clips and put loads of multipurpose greese on the put back

Rides
    Looking good You've got a nice big garage to work in there too

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the underside of the spoiler, do you ?

I need to take the spoiler off my red car and I'm going to need to remanufacture quite a bit of the bracketry, I suspect

It would help a lot if I had pictures to go by (I forgot to take any when I took my white one off )

Rides
    Cheers mate sorry I didn't take any but when I come over yours to get that exhaust we can take it off and have a look if you want.

Rides
    No,no. Its not worth the trouble of taking it off again I just thought I'd ask if you happened to have taken any.

I can take it off my white one off if I need a template.

Rides
    Keep up the good work mate, this is coming together really well now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...