Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOT Fail on emissions

Rides

MOT Fail on emissions

So my s13 only failed on emissions, whats the standard Co2% level for a CA? I can only get it as low as .90, the machine is asking for .30! That surely cannot be a non-cat test??

I have put the standard ecu back in which helped a bit, but its a ported head, t28 and stainless pipes, should that make so much a difference?

I have a week to sort something out ideas?

thanks.

Rides
    Isn't CO2 like 3.5% or something?

It was taking the non-cat test right?
    If not your tester wasn't doing his job and probably tested it as a S14 with SR20DET

Rides
    they are using the wrong test. s13's are pre cat test which is 6% iirc

Rides
    I thought as much, He can only type in the reg on the computer , which doesn't have a non-cat option

Looking like I'll need to get another mot somewhere else.

Rides
    Have a quick look in the sticky threads for the letter from the DVLA confirming that it only needs the pre cat test. Print out and bring to MOT station.

Rides
    They have correctly started with the BET test.
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...BET%20Test.pdf

But if it fails that they have to do it properly and not make it up or take the lazy option by just declaring it a fail as "nothing can pass that doesn't pass the BET test". So they have to press the CAT1 button.
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...01992-2002.pdf

That takes a bit of EFFORT but when followed properly leads to the 2nd box down on RHS.
    Quote Originally Posted by VOSA 7.3 CAT 1 TEST
    Carry out a non CAT test CO <= 3.5% HC <= 1200ppm
    Going direct to the non CAT test is also a mistake in test procedure. But passing the BET test can result in the tester erroneously failing a RS13 200SX that doesn't have a cat fitted.

MOT manual has Reason to Fail (RtF) if cat not fitted on cars that require a full cat test. Cars made between 1 Aug '92 and 31 July 95 that are listed in this document have to have a cat fitted as they are subject to a full cat test. (R)S13 200SX isn't listed so has a non cat test and doesn't need a cat. Nissans are on pages 98-100 of the annex, the only 200SX listed is the (1994) S14 at bottom of page 98.
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...%20Edition.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by VOSA In Service Emission Handbook page 3
    Some passenger cars first used during the “transition” period (i.e. 1 August 1992 to 1 August 1995) and some light goods vehicles and large passenger cars first used on or after 1 August 1994 were not required to be manufactured to the EC standards requiring advanced emissions control systems to be fitted. For these vehicles the non-catalyst test will be applied. Owners of vehicles which were first used during this transition period, are advised to check the entries in the Annex to this booklet or contact the vehicle manufacturer.
    I pity the poor sods that have sort their way though it based on serial numbers.
    Primera Estate Model Code W10
    1.6l Serial No 040001 onwards
    2.0l Serial No 050001 onwards

Rides
    Go back, ask for a FREE re-test or you will stuff them a V17.

Reasons for making your appeal "Incorrect application of test procedure."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...%28VT17%29.pdf

Rides
    Thanks guys, Its actually being tested at my work lol, I know that its the computer being the problem. If it cant be done i'll need to take it somewhere else for an emissions test.

Rides
    If the kit your tester is using is incapable of doing a non cat test then im pretty sure he shouldnt be using it and it needs repair or replacement..... requirements as of the 1996 specs mean the EGA (exhaust gas analyser) should be able to do 3 types of test.... full cat test, non cat test, and pre 1976(ish cant remember year off top of my head)...... the BET test is just a shortened full cat test that 90 odd percent of vehicles will pass if there is no faults present... and as skyshack says, if they are following the flow charts correctly the s13 does not have a match on the emmissions data that vosa have and then a non cat (idle CO only with a limit of around 3.5%) must be performed

Rides
    Or there is a fault between seat and keyboard / buttons.

Or they are improperly using a test bay that isn't for Class IV?

Rides
    Yea it 3.5% for CO2

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Or there is a fault between seat and keyboard / buttons.
    lol.... quite literally

Rides
    Like the signature iceblade

Rides
    Thanks bud

Rides
    If it's "only" 0.60 % difference, you could try fiddling with the CAS or pulling a hose or two.

I don't know the speclist of your car, but I had a similar problem a little while back.

Stage 2 CA18DET 1992 with a catalytic converter, so I had to comply with a 0.50% CO instead of 3.50% .
    CO was 9.50 % whilst 0.50 % was allowed *oops*
    Got it down to 2.50% at the garage after doing the following:
    - fiddling with the CAS
    - readjusting the idle
    - pulling a couple of hoses (after the AFM)

Managed to get it down to 0.38 % after doing the following:
    - readjust the TPS <-- this was a major player
    - recalibrate LC-1 (wide band lambda)
    - (and a 200 CPSI race catalyst)

Rides
    S13 should go through a non cat test.

There is a dvla letter on Sxoc you can print off and show the tester.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchbastard View Post
    Stage 2 CA18DET 1992 with a catalytic converter, so I had to comply with a 0.50% CO instead of 3.50% .
    CO was 9.50 % whilst 0.50 % was allowed *oops*
    Was that to Dutch regs?

UK MOT for ALL CA18DET is 3.5%CO, 1200ppm HC.

OK the 9.5%CO was out of order.

I had 7.083% last year. The lambda had failed, swapped it for a spare 10 year old one (now swapped for universal 3 wire one for under £10). Went for retest and guy rammed the probe into the rotten back box so well it poked a hole in the front. 0.018%CO, 9ppm HC, tester didn't twig it was test centre "fresh air" and that he should have done a re-test. This year my 'Dec 94 reg 200SX with a full turbo back 3" stainless system has passed with 0.42% CO, 118ppm HC without a cat.

It's thought that the CA18DET stopped being made in late 1991 before the Aug 92 CAT date. The only car made for sale anywhere in the world with CA after Sept '91 was the European 200SX. All other cars with CA of any sort swapped to SR or GA. RHD car production from 1st Sept '91 to 31st Dec '93 was 3363 cars and only 1265 after the Aug '92 CAT date. No one keeps a whole engine plant running to make 4 engines a day. The European LHD may have taken that to 10 per day but an engine plant has production capacity of 100's a day. Unlike a car build track it's not possible to switch an engine plant over quickly. The drills are multi spindle and one machine will drill all the holes on a crankcase face at the same time, 2nd taps them all. The date of engine manufacture was [1] the day the crank was forged, it would have been easy to stockpile a few 1,000 cranks and machined blocks + heads. The rest of the bits could be made and fully assembled in smaller batches.

[1] Stockpiling before emission law changes has been a common practice.
    http://www.hdma.org/Main-Menu/HDMA-P...tockpiling.txt

Rides
    Can you not get hold of a cat from somewhere for the test?

I give up arguing with MOT testers now. From now on, my 1993 180sx is having a cat put on for the MOT. Regardless of what I say or what legislation says, i've always had the 180sx failed for "not having a cat" Thats from 2/3 separate test stations now too. I know they're wrong, but as soon as I try and tell one of the mini-Hitlers at the MOT place, that just makes things worse.

Rides
    Paul, let them fail it then produce the letter so they cant use it as an excuse to find other problems. or be nicer to them
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Can you not get hold of a cat from somewhere for the test?

I give up arguing with MOT testers now. From now on, my 1993 180sx is having a cat put on for the MOT. Regardless of what I say or what legislation says, i've always had the 180sx failed for "not having a cat" Thats from 2/3 separate test stations now too. I know they're wrong, but as soon as I try and tell one of the mini-Hitlers at the MOT place, that just makes things worse.
    for the 180sx - you only need a cat after aug '95. even though it's not a match, after august 95, it defaults to the basic CAT test.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/730_newp9.pdf

Unfortunately, my RB mix and match 180 is '96, so I've had to run a CAT, since I can't prove the original usage date of the engine.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.