Thread: S13 manifold replacement...thoughts?

Rides

S13 manifold replacement...thoughts?

Taking my stock manifold with t28r today as it's blowing like a pig! Now i'm fully expecting the manifold to be shagged as just gaskets would be far too cheap to replace

So on the off chance the the cast one is shagged; i see this as a good enough reason to buy a half decent stainless 4 branch; however alot of the "mainstream" versions...i.e. japspeed are renound for cracking etc.

Is this true? If so i'd appreciate a point in the right direction of a half decent; mid price range manifold for a CA18

Thanks

Luke

Rides
    I don't think there are any mid priced manifolds that actually fit well and don't require some movement of the ABS pump.

Could be wrong tho...

Rides
    I would expect your manifold to be fine and the nuts to have just come loose

Rides
    I wouldnt buy a cheapish manifold.

Id be buying at a minimum a tomei extreme from the states or second hand.

Imo any 100quid or so manifold is going to crack. Its just wen not if.

As arry says its likely to be the gasket or come lose. I had the stock gasket and stock mani on for years. Only changed to a MLS because the turbo blew.

Rides
    thanks for the reply guys...well 3 hours later and it's all off...mani seems fine tbh so i'll be keeping that one

HOWEVER....

some of the manifold nuts (engine side) were loose...3 OUT OF 4 of the turbo to manifold nuts weren't even there so the turbo was held on with ONE nut....and 2 of the turbo elbow nuts were missing

all in all i'm suprised it worked at all...i can literally wobble the turbo on the manifold now it's off...one the plus side I don't need to fork out on the manifold although there was a small amount of oil in the turbo intake and slight play in the shaft, it's a roller bearing garrett so i'm going to check what it is....and see if it's mean to have any play at all...if not, then it looks like i'm going to need a new turbo seems odd though as it's never smoked and pulled suprisingly well considering the wild blowing...allbeit a bit laggy

Rides
    Shouldn't be much play in a BB turbo, you can't get the centre cartridge re-built either, only a replacement CHRA. So run it till it pops

Make sure you have locking tabs fitted, and use tri-lok nuts as well

Rides
    I'm sure I was told that the roller-bearing tubbies had a little in-out play as standard but shouldn't have side-to-side.

Also, if you do find your mani need replacing, I have three spare brick manis so just drop me a PM and you can have one for the cost of postage (be about £7 I imagine).

Rides
    Cheers everybody...the plan is (as mentioned above) to stick the turbo back on as it is until it pops....there is no side to side play as yet and it wasn't smoking before it came off so we'll see what happens

And thanks Jonny for the very kind gesture! Mine seems ok so we'll see how it goes