Thread: CA18DET Rebuild -What Machine shop, best parts and where to purchase, tools needed?

Rides

CA18DET Rebuild -What Machine shop, best parts and where to purchase, tools needed?

Hi after a big end bearing going ive decided to rebuild my ca18det with forged pistons, new pumps, steel head gasket, new rods, all new race bearings, all new seals, new headbolts, new valve stem seals and reground, maybe even a new crankshaft. Wheres the best place to buy the parts needed for the rebuild, i was looking at apex performance, and what manufacturers are best parts wise i.e. pistons, rods, gaskets etc... ?

I was also wondering what tools will be needed for the rebuild? I already have an extensive socket and wrench set, circlip pliers, 1/2inch torque wrench (not the best), jack and stands, will be renting a crane, i have engine stand and a piston ring compressor. I know i will also need a valve spring compressor. good 3/8 torque wrench, but will i also need to buy a decent 1/2 wrench too or do you mainly use the 3/8? What measuring tools will i need, i.e. verneer caliper, micrometer?

I will also be sending the block and head away, i was wanting the cylinders re-bored for my forged pistons, the crankshaft balanced. What other work is needed/preffered on block and head while in machine shop? Also are there any recommended machine shops in central Scotland?

Any decent thread detailing CA18DET rebuild would be helpful too, just trying too get parts ordered and prepare for rebuild, cheers.

Rides
    JEM engines in Falkirk for your engineering , just noticed your in livingston , im in bathgate and i just rebuilt my CA, if you need any advice just say. Bearings go for ACL Race or DAIDO, and i wouldnt regrind the crank for power applications just get another one on std size bearings , but its up to u most get by perfectly fine with a .25 regrind, I went for a 84mm Block rebore then honed , Wiseco 84mm Forged pistons , Reused Stock rods , Daido Main bearings with ACL Race big ends. I got new headbolts from conceptua but be warned these turned out to be about 2mm longer than the stock bolts and when i reassembled the head the headgasket did not seal , i blamed rubbish BGA gasket and the bolts, so went for a nissan OEM headgasket and reused the Nissan Headbolts and now it seals just fine and has good compression, my only issue after rebuilding is it runs rich as feck so trying to sort that issue out.

You will need general tools , Socket sets , ratchets , Open ended and ring spanners , Ratchet spanners are very useful but not a necessity , Piston ring compressor , Ring expander if not comfortable removing and putting on piston rings by hand its not advisable anyway. Snap ring pliers are useful too for retaining rings and snap rings. You will need a full gasket and seal set for the engine as well , or some good Blue or red stuff insta gasket can be used for some things but i wouldn't trust it for really high temps or parts covered in petrol.
    Oil filter tool , Torque Wrenches are a must ! I used two in my build a 3/8th torque wrench with a 8nm -110 nm range , and a 1/2inch torque wrench with a 80nm to 210nm range.

You will also need a hex/torx bit set for allen/hex bolts and headbolts.

Feeler gauges are also useful for checking spark plug gaps, Piston to wall clearance etc.

Another must is a bench vice for putting things in if working on them you will really be thankful for one when it comes to bleeding hydraulic lifters if they are gunked up it may also be cheaper and more time efficient to just replace the lifters with a used set or new ones.

If stripping the head down which i would advise for a fresh build . to clean and re lap valves and replace stem seals etc, you will need a valve spring compressor

Rides
    Also you will want head skimmed at a minimum , but its good practice to get the block decked if using a steel headgasket