Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Yes. Spring is here.

I've started test-rides for my next road bike, especially as I've sold my MX-5 so I'm feeling a bit short of vehicles

Get yourself down to a large bike shop and try on some lids

Rides
    Question on lids...

I'm in the market for a track day lid and possibly something to compete in at a later date (cars, not bikes). Presumably if I were to buy something that has all the relevant safety markings I'm going to be cleared to use it on a bike? It's just the track day lids all advertise FIA/Snell approved while the motorbike lids advertise BS approved.

Decent lids aren't exactly cheap and I don't really want to have to fork out twice!

Rides
    only thing with bike helmets is they are designed to take one big massive impact of your head meeting the road or another vehicle at speed .... where as car helmets are designed to take smaller repeated beatings of a rolling car and your head repeatedly banging against the interior loads of times as you flip around inside the car.

you might find that a bike helmet doesnt stand up too well in a car crash ??

Rides
    I know the MSA don't tend to accept bike helmets unless they have the appropriate approval mark on them. For track days, it tends to be OK though.

Rides
    Car helmets have to be flame retardant as well IIRC

Rides
    double post

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I've started test-rides for my next road bike, especially as I've sold my MX-5 so I'm feeling a bit short of vehicles
    Good times What've you tried and what were they like?

Rides
    I've just seen this bike at my very local dealer

It's a Rieju (Spanish?) RS2 125 NKD on a 59 plate up for £1395 with a year MOT and fresh service.

I'm told it has the engine from the Yamaha YBR which is a plus and to me it's not bad looking for a 125. Does anyone know anything about them? I'm thinking of putting a deposit on it

Rides
    Just out of interest what is it about it the bike?

I can't have a CBR I've sat on one and made it look like a minimoto

I have up to about 2.2k for the bike and I don't mind spending on it to be honest because I will be keeping it as a commuter/backup bike. The Mrs says she might do a CBT too so she can join me on my bigger machine

Edit: That black CBR does look good though. I might just end up with a YBR but I've not sat on one and had a good look in the flesh yet.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Just out of interest what is it about it the bike?

I can't have a CBR I've sat on one and made it look like a minimoto

I have up to about 2.2k for the bike and I don't mind spending on it to be honest because I will be keeping it as a commuter/backup bike. The Mrs says she might do a CBT too so she can join me on my bigger machine

Edit: That black CBR does look good though. I might just end up with a YBR but I've not sat on one and had a good look in the flesh yet.
    Look for scrambler style 125s as well, theyre generally bigger.

For a start that Rieju is a 2 stroke, so more chance of break downs etc. Secondly build quality will never compare to a Jap bike. Even the bigger name Euro brands like Aprilia and Gilera are horrendous. Parts availability will also be difficult.

Rides
    plus that NKD RS2 is fugly. The faired ones are much nicer.

Rides
    Ahhh ok, this was 4 stroke though. I must admit I've never heard of them before

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Ahhh ok, this was 4 stroke though. I must admit I've never heard of them before
    I thought they were all 2 strokes. They wont be in the same ball park as the Chinese cheapies for rotten build quality, but id expect them to be like the rest of the Euro brands such as Derbi, Cagiva et al. If you were looking at spending £800-£1000 then id say take a punt, but with £1400-2000 to spend then I personally would wander away from the Japs. I still have a soft spot for something like a Hyosung comet.

Rides
    Yeah see I was/am liking the Hyosung idea because of the full size and Vtwin motor. I called a dealer and they themselves told me of dodgy gearboxes and cams ( I think it was cams ) I would like a Hyo GT125R idealy. The Suzuki connection helps too but meh...

Rides
    The hyosung is slow as hell

If you want something full size - Varadero

Rides
    I'm not really liking the adventure bike type, Or crosser type. I realise no 125 is gonna set the world on fire so I'm fine with a bit of slowness for now. I've seen a lovely Comet on ebay which is also very local, might get a look

Rides
    Right, I've got a bit of a problem. I've found a steal of a bike and I'm going to see it this evening, I'll probably be buying it. I can't get it home which is about 5 miles so I've been looking for some 1 day cover for a mate which a licence to ride it for me... I cannot get anyone to answer their phones to save my life. Can anyone help there? Does anyone know of a company who does 1 day cover and also knows how to use a phone?

I did try insuring it myself and putting him as a named rider but I cannot insure it until at least the day of my CBT so that's no help :/

Rides
    PM me the details and I'll tell you if it really is a steal.

If its that good, push it home

Seriously, if it is covered by the current owner's insurance, your mate is probably covered under his to ride it third party.

Rides
    Yeah my mate now doesn't have a bike he has an S13 It's a 58 plate Hyosung Comet in black and apparently immaculate bar a scratch on the frame. Never dropped he says and well looked after by the mature rider. For a grand Cheapest Comet on biketrader that I can find nation wide is 1399 or something like that and it's older

Should be a goodun but I'll see in about 45 minutes.