Page 69 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    There's no VIC check for motorcycles so it's much more straight forward than cars - all it needs is an mot
    Well, I didn't know that. Every day's a school day

I still wouldn't risk my life on a CAT C Its going to be bent.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Well, I didn't know that. Every day's a school day

I still wouldn't risk my life on a CAT C Its going to be bent.
    Cat C'd that R1 my mate chucked off the road in Wales - all it needed was a nose cone and a gear lever and it'd have ridden away fine. The fact it sold at auction as salvage for nearly 4k when retail they're only 6.5k gives you an idea.

They write bikes off for **** all. Not saying I'd not be careful about it though

Rides
    Does a cat c only need a mot? Im not to worried, if i had the wheels checked out for buckles and flat spots i cant see anything else faliing spectacularly. Ill have to register and see what they go for, on ebay they go for to much money to make it worth while. My ideal bike would be a sporty twin like a tl 1000s or a falco. I don't really want a naked bike because i recon the wind blast would be to annoying, i know it is on dirt bikes over 50-60mph.

Rides
    Just mot required

Rides
    Well, you seem pretty determined to go for a write-off so, as long as you know what to look for, go for it.

For the price-range you are looking at, I think you will struggle to get a cosmetic write-off of a big bike but you might get lucky I suppose. TLs, Falcos and even SV1000s are going up in price at the moment rather than down as they are starting to become collectible.

In the spectacular failure category, I would also put frame failure, swing arm failure and chain failure as things that could happen to a bike mid-corner that I would class as more than a nuisance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Just mot legally required
    ftfy

Rides
    Its just a idea at the moment, they may sell for to much making it not worth it. I have seen a couple rough examples up for around 1500 on ebay so as long as they don't need tyres, chain, sprockets pluss everything else they might be a goer

Rides
    Do you already have all the gear you need ?

If not, what is your total budget realistically ?

A late 90s 4-cylinder sports tourer is a more realistic option on a really limited budget. They don't tend to become collectible and you might pick up a half-decent one for cheaps. Maybe a Thunderace, RF900, ZZR, GPX or a GSX750F. Something like that.

A crashed sports bike will get picked up as a track bike or a tart-up project so will go for more money.

If it really must be a twin, your options are very limited... A TRX850 or a TDM ? They're rare and they have a bit of a cult following. Ducatis are all too collectible. Aprilias are rare and like the Suzukis have a cult following.

If you don't mind a triple, an early Hinckley Triumph might be an option. You won't get a Daytona but you might get a Trophy or a Trident. They are pretty agricultural though.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 27-02-2015 at 09:34.

Rides
    Lidel are doing the bike stuff again from Monday if any one is intrested

Thats the Tiger - Gas Gas T&T for the year and insured and NO Increase over last year ( £74 FC )

Rides
    You're going a bit early this year aren't you ? Its not even March yet so you just paid a months tax for a day, Dave

Rides
    No my tax runs out on 28th Feb Insurance on 18th March i had a slow morning so cleared a load of paperwork since Mrs C has started the home buissnes i am getting ahead of my paperwork at her Prompting ( Nagging )

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    No my tax runs out on 28th Feb Insurance on 18th March i had a slow morning so cleared a load of paperwork since Mrs C has started the home buissnes i am getting ahead of my paperwork at her Prompting ( Nagging )
    Ah, got you. I was thinking you were recommissioning after Winter as I'm thinking of doing (I'm strictly fair weather biker nowadays).

Rides
    I'd avoid anything that is CAT C or D as anything that has obviously been dropped is probably bent and won't ride right.
    If it's bent then it won't be a Cat C, and more importantly you won't be able to buy it
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    If it's bent then it won't be a Cat C, and more importantly you won't be able to buy it
    * Category C - Repairable. Significant damage. Cost of the repair is more than book value of vehicle at dealer rates.
    * Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    Nice one, just got some PR4s for the blackbird for £181 delivered.
    They were delivered today. Manufacture dates are week 4 and week 17 of last year so well within 3 years recommended.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    They were delivered today. Manufacture dates are week 4 and week 17 of last year so well within 3 years recommended.
    Excellent. I'm going to get those too soon, I've never used them before and hear the wet weather performance is amazing. How are they in the dry though? I suppose any tyre will be decent in the dry but my current tyres, Michelin Pilot Powers feel naff compared to my old Pilot Road 1s I had on there before.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Excellent. I'm going to get those too soon, I've never used them before and hear the wet weather performance is amazing. How are they in the dry though? I suppose any tyre will be decent in the dry but my current tyres, Michelin Pilot Powers feel naff compared to my old Pilot Road 1s I had on there before.
    Try some Dunlops

Rides
    Which ones in particular Jonny? Wet weather performance is the main thing I need/want

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Which ones in particular Jonny? Wet weather performance is the main thing I need/want
    I can't remember what you are riding nowadays. You got shot of the FZ400, didn't you ?

Rides
    I can't remember what you are riding nowadays. You got shot of the FZ400, didn't you ?
    No I still have that, I decided it was handy as a kind of workhorse because it's quite cheap to run. I'm still looking to get a second bike but first need to get a better house with a garage