Page 6 of 106 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Just done the first tank full in my 'Blade - and every time I go out it re-enforces the fact that getting my liscence is the best £500 I have ever spent

Rides
    I can't wait

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Just done the first tank full in my 'Blade - and every time I go out it re-enforces the fact that getting my liscence is the best £500 I have ever spent
    Best I ever did on mine was 124 miles to the light on. Worst was 82 and that was mostly motorway

Rides
    I hated the ER6 I rode, the throttle was pretty much on/off. Passed my test on a GS500, done 22k on my Fazer and done a few hundred on a CBF600 which was smooth as silk but a bit boring.

As for fuel, I've had 240 miles before I bottled it and filled up Later model has another 2 litres on mine too so could probably get 260-270. That's boring up/down the A12 in traffic though.

Rides
    injected bikes can be a bit snatchy, the tdm is especially bad for it. but you do get used to it and ride around it just means slipping the clutch a tiny bit extra and no snapping the throttle shut in first / second gear!

Rides
    oh, worth mentioning re the cbf600 / Hornet, mybrother tried a couple of 600's to use for his bike school (he's swindon based so i won't it here) he ended up getting a couple for the new test as they were learner friendly (good feedback on full lock for u turns) i haven't ridden one myself, but always thought they're quite good looking bikes

Rides
    Lots of good and correct information on this thread regarding bandits here. I bought one for my first bike when I passed my test 4 years a go a 600 naked. I loved it, but it was heavy, felt like it would drop over when you cornered hard, seemed top heavy. Thirsty! easily 10-15mpg less than I got out of my FZ6 that I replaced it with. Rust was starting to become an issue, the chain tensioners were a problem if I remember. But for 1300 quid it was a f*cking laugh, felt like a missile compared to the test bikes and with a micron exhaust sounded lovely. I actually miss it but I guess that's because it was my first bike that I used to go out on my own after passing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog1982 View Post
    Lots of good and correct information on this thread regarding bandits here. I bought one for my first bike when I passed my test 4 years a go a 600 naked. I loved it, but it was heavy, felt like it would drop over when you cornered hard, seemed top heavy. Thirsty! easily 10-15mpg less than I got out of my FZ6 that I replaced it with. Rust was starting to become an issue, the chain tensioners were a problem if I remember. But for 1300 quid it was a f*cking laugh, felt like a missile compared to the test bikes and with a micron exhaust sounded lovely. I actually miss it but I guess that's because it was my first bike that I used to go out on my own after passing.
    I bet you're getting around 50-55 mpg and around 160 miles out of a tank on your Fireblade too....and they say injection is supposed to be more efficient

Rides
    Right, this isn't clear. I need to have provisional A licence entitlement for when I do the CBT. I have a car licence so do I get a fresh provisional licence or have the entitlement added to my full car licence? If so anyone know how? I can't find anything on the DVLA site about it :\

Rides
    Your full car licence gives you automatic provisional entitlement for motorcycles mate

Rides
    I thought there was a 2 yr rule now that meant you had to pass your bike test within 2 yrs or lose it from your entitlement.

Not that I know. Just something I vaguely remember hearing in conversation.

Rides
    Ahhhh right so I just have to show them my card and paper? It actually does say A in the provisional entitlement box. So basically I'm good to go and don't need to faff about with this. Eye test time

Rides
    You have a 'provisional entitlements' section on the paper, should have 'A' in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I thought there was a 2 yr rule now that meant you had to pass your bike test within 2 yrs or lose it from your entitlement.

Not that I know. Just something I vaguely remember hearing in conversation.
    Not as far as I know

Rides
    I passed my test when you had to drive round the block while a bloke with a clipboard walked round the other way then jumped out in front of you for an emergency stop. lol.

I'll have to check my wife's licence.

Rides
    Just found this.... A good explanation of the rules it looks like to me and might be helpful to the OP..

http://granbymotors.co.uk/motorcycle-license

Rides
    I bet you're getting around 50-55 mpg and around 160 miles out of a tank on your Fireblade too....and they say injection is supposed to be more efficient
    It was a cb8 918 so the last of the carbed models, it was pretty good on juice from what I remember!

Rides
    Just found this.... A good explanation of the rules it looks like to me and might be helpful to the OP..

http://granbymotors.co.uk/motorcycle-license
    Provisional motorcycle licences used to have a life of 2 years. But as from 1st February 2001, motorcycle licensing rules were changed. All new provisional licences showing motorcycle entitlement issued from that date are valid until the holder's 70th birthday.
    Never mind, mis-read.

I think the 2 year thing is for a provisional bike licence, not for a provisional entitlement on a car licence.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog1982 View Post
    It was a cb8 918 so the last of the carbed models, it was pretty good on juice from what I remember!
    You sold it already ? Only seems like yesterday you bought it. It was an RR-X, same as one I used to have.

Rides
    You sold it already ? Only seems like yesterday you bought it. It was an RR-X, same as one I used to have.
    Knocking on 18 months a go I sold it! Wasnt my choice,lost access to my garage (was already on my fourth!!) the bike was far to nice and far to big to keep in the gulley outside by my house, it was immaculate so sold her :-( 11000 miles she had done 1 owner from new !

What a bike that was, being tall and 17 stone its the only bike I felt fitted me properly.

Rides
    Right CBT is booked and I've got all the gear on its way apart from a lid which I want to try on properly in a shop. Excited