Page 53 of 106 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    ZXR 750

or slightly left field if you hanker for a vee twin desmo an early Ducati Multistrada 1000 air cooled twin

Yes they are BUTT UGLY but they cant have put an insane smile on your face as we proved cutting up crotch rockets going round the Melbourne Loop at Donny and the Hairpin at Mallory

Put a different light unit and an adventure bike beak and you have a supermoto with a decent fuel range . They can also be Turbo up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    ZXR 750
    I did wonder whether to suggest the 750 but they are commanding good money now for fairly ropey examples and they are not as common as you'd think.

I discounted the Yam TRX850 for the same reason, even though its a great allrounder that's a little bit leftfield.

Rides
    Or another on the Multistrada type line is the Yam TDM 850 with 270` crank and R1 brakes another hoot on both M-Ways and back roads blasting :0

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    Or another on the Multistrada type line is the Yam TDM 850 with 270` crank and R1 brakes another hoot on both M-Ways and back roads blasting :0
    TDM if fugly though. TRX is the same bike in a much nicer frock. They're pretty rare but this one is currently up for sale...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bi...R-NXGN-3123882

TBH though, if I had 3K to spend on a bike, I'd buy this...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bi...R-NXGN-7614007

The RR-X I had is still one of my all time favourites. I rode it in everything from snow to torrential rain to scorching heat. Never missed a beat.

Rides
    Thank you for the suggestions guys so far my favorite is the 'blade. I think that may be a bit much for me though so a 600RR would be a better bet I think.

Rides
    Don't fancy a Sprint do you? Good all year round bike....

Rides
    I wouldn't mind a Sprint but I don't get excited by the idea like I would say the 748, damn those little Italians. I'm not looking to actually buy anything now anyway it will probably be winter again by the time I'm ready. I'm just starting to look and see if there's anything out there I may not have considered.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions guys so far my favorite is the 'blade. I think that may be a bit much for me though so a 600RR would be a better bet I think.
    Difference in power is nominal. 'blade has more torque, is beautifully carburetted and is better on juice (55 to the gallon consistently). It has more room, is physically a bigger bike and isn't as track oriented i.e. it turns less quickly. You shouldn't be daunted by it. Its not a nutter bike like the blades that started with the 954 and beyond. Have a go on one and see what you think.

Rides
    I would have thought both those bikes were in the £1500-£1800 bracket

edit
    just had a look and those hondas do make a lot of money
    Last edited by Hachi Roku; 07-04-2014 at 19:28.

Rides
    Suzuki Inazuma 250

Talk to me

Thinking of commuting on one, up and down the A13, A130 and A12. Super cheap transportation method is all I'm thinking.

Am I mad?

Rides
    I keep thinking about putting my old yamaha t80 on the road. It would be nice to get 100mpg but a max speed of 50mph might get annoying.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Suzuki Inazuma 250

Talk to me

Thinking of commuting on one, up and down the A13, A130 and A12. Super cheap transportation method is all I'm thinking.

Am I mad?
    A 390 Duke would be a much nicer alternative.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    A 390 Duke would be a much nicer alternative.
    Agreed! I really like the 390 - the fact it's half a house lighter than most things in its class is very clever and useful.

HOWEVER, it's also £1500 more than the Suzuki, which is over half the price again

And in the press blurb KTM say the following:
    The models are therefore not only A2-compliant, but also highly recommendable for novice riders, since they guarantee greater riding pleasure yet even more safety.

FFS

And on a long term test, Visordown claim 58mpg - which is somewhat short of the 85mpg Suzuki claim, and most owners are seeing 70+mpg real world.

The Suzuki would be nothing but a work tool, 8-9 months a year, 15k miles a year, keep costs down and nothing more. If I had the 390, I'd have to sell the big bike, and not replace it. Could I live with the 390 for everything? Not sure....

Rides
    Have you ridden one? 25bhp would test even my patience, especially on the A12 and B-Roads. I took a CRF250 out for a test ride which is 33bhp and that was awful. The only place it made any sense was riding in the town centre traffic buzzing around like a mosquito.

Ive heard people get 60-80mpg on a Suzuki Burgman if kept below 60mph. Be a lot nicer place to be if commuting.

Rides
    Not ridden one, no. It did worry me that the roads would be a little too fast flowing for it to keep up but people do say they'll sit at 70 comfortably and that's enough TBH.

It's really not a heart choice, just a way of keeping my overheads down. Doing £500 a month in diesel is not ideal.....

Rides
    An RC8R does 50 to the gallon

Rides
    Now there's a thing

The Sprint does ~45mpg on a run, probably more, but £300 a set of tyres and 6000 mile service intervals.

I'd get an NC apart from the fact they're £2000-£2500 more for what essentially would be the same thing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    Have you ridden one? 25bhp would test even my patience, especially on the A12 and B-Roads. I took a CRF250 out for a test ride which is 33bhp and that was awful. The only place it made any sense was riding in the town centre traffic buzzing around like a mosquito.

Ive heard people get 60-80mpg on a Suzuki Burgman if kept below 60mph. Be a lot nicer place to be if commuting.
    Well I had great fun on CB125S. 12bhp single. Flat out 65mph, 100mpg, 1.2gall tank. Didn't use DC much and M-way never, just pointed into the lanes and used the throttle like an on/off switch.

Then I got a CJ250T and as that did 85mph I can't tell you what I did with that but I only got 60mpg. Stock headlamp was 35W, a Cibie with 60/55w halogen was vital.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Well I had great fun on CB125S. 12bhp single. Flat out 65mph, 100mpg, 1.2gall tank. Didn't use DC much and M-way never, just pointed into the lanes and used the throttle like an on/off switch.

Then I got a CJ250T and as that did 85mph I can't tell you what I did with that but I only got 60mpg. Stock headlamp was 35W, a Cibie with 60/55w halogen was vital.
    At the risk of turning this into an old giffers thread, I had the earlier CB250K3 as I couldn't afford a bike as new as the CJ. They can in very plain colours I remember. Red, Yellow or Blue with a black side panel with 250 T on it (no mention of CJ).

@Arry - Looking at your budget and requirement, I'd be looking for one of these. I don't know that they do mega mpg but it will be high 50s at least and the other service costs won't be bad.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/1500/page/1/

For £3K with 3K miles on the clock, that's a lot of bike.

Rides
    I've been riding a divvy regularly since I got married

Thinking of buying this actually - looks awesome, been molyslipped n everything and the seller seems a really sound guy:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XVS...d=620682482032

so it looks like a 500, has markings of a 500, is actually a 250, but is really a 125. Riiiighht.