Page 50 of 106 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    I've got Pilot Road 2s on both the Fazer and Blackbird and they're fantastic. 3s and 4s are meant to be even better.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    I've got Pilot Road 2s on both the Fazer and Blackbird and they're fantastic. 3s and 4s are meant to be even better.
    Had 2's on the CBR and they were very good - and indeed the 3's are even better.

They're fugly, though....

Rides
    They suit my Fazer then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Michelin Pilot Road 3's - they're just ace
    How much you talking for a set of those ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    How much you talking for a set of those ?
    I paid £280 fitted to the bike for Sprint sizes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I paid £280 fitted to the bike for Sprint sizes.
    Jeez,that much.

Rides
    Bike tyres ain't cheap unfortunately

Rides
    PR2s set me back £230 but they'd have done them for £200 if I'd have taken just the wheels to them.

Rides
    If you have the stands, take the wheels out of the bike and take the loose wheels to the tyre shop.

Before you take the wheels out, clean them then stick a patch of masking tape to the inside and mark the direction of forward rotation on the tape. That way, you can check they've fitted the tyres the right way round before you leave the shop AND you'll fit the wheel back into the bike the right way round.

Failure to do so is very very scary at best, lethal at worst as water will be channelled towards the centre of the tyre instead of away from it.

On many bikes, you'll need to remove the calipers to get the front wheel out and on some bikes the calipers are attached using stretch bolts that should really be replaced so, if you are going to do it "properly" (which most tyre places won't) order up a set of bolts and maybe a set of brake pads while you are there.

Also, if you are blessed with a similar memory to me, its a good idea to refit the spindle all the spacers etc. just without the wheel so you can remember how they all go back together.

Some online places have fitting arrangements with the big tyre places like Universal so you can buy online at a fitted price.

When you are shopping around, get prices from the bike shops too, especially if you aren't going to take loose wheels as they can be very competitive.

Bridgestone Battleaxes are good road tyres BUT they are VERY slippy when new, when they're cold on greasy surfaces.

My favourite sticky tyres are Dunlop Sportmax D214s. They last well for a sporty tyre too.

I really didn't like the Pilots I had but that was because I wanted to use them on the track and they just weren't up to the job. I'm sure they're fine for road work.

Rides
    Little update on my progress! JW are you still hating?!

As I got her end of Feb 2014:

As of last Friday (End of March 14) I have:
    Replaced the front seat for a genuine gel seat and rear standard seat
    Oxford heated sport grips
    Evotech tail tidy, crash bungs and exhaust hanger
    Micron GP exhaust

She now looks like this:

Rides
    That looks much nicer.

The combination of standard seat, tail tidy and exhaust really set the back of the bike back into proportion

Now, about them mirrors...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    That looks much nicer.

The combination of standard seat, tail tidy and exhaust really set the back of the bike back into proportion

Now, about them mirrors...
    Thanks pal, I dropped lucky on the exhaust, there quite rare as Micron went bust a number of years a go. Got it for £112 off Ebay! original box and all the documents to. It pops on deceleration as my bike as you probably know has a AIS that pumps air into the exhaust to help with emissions. I have bought some blanking plates and next job is to bin this!

With regards to mirrors! I've been on the case this morning ......................... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Tomok-...item3a730c723e

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog1982 View Post
    Thanks pal, I dropped lucky on the exhaust, there quite rare as Micron went bust a number of years a go. Got it for £112 off Ebay! original box and all the documents to. It pops on deceleration as my bike as you probably know has a AIS that pumps air into the exhaust to help with emissions. I have bought some blanking plates and next job is to bin this!

With regards to mirrors! I've been on the case this morning ......................... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Tomok-...item3a730c723e
    Well, that one slipped right past me. It looks like they closed up shop in 2008

Its a modern looking exhaust for 2008 though. I thought everyone was still obsessing about underseat exhausts in 2008.

Those mirrors look better. The rectangular ones look like they are off a 1980s commuter

Rides
    Well, that one slipped right past me. It looks like they closed up shop in 2008

Its a modern looking exhaust for 2008 though. I thought everyone was still obsessing about underseat exhausts in 2008.

Those mirrors look better. The rectangular ones look like they are off a 1980s commuter
    Yup they did, I have the original invoice dated 2008 so it must of been shortly after or old stock. Shame really as I think its one of the nicest looking exhausts for the FZ1. I went to the new J and S in Northwich, parked up and the bike to the right of me was a black FZ1 with these mirrors, looked spot on. Your right the standard ones are horrendous and let the bike down.

I am not changing the bars, I have finally learnt to ride it properly, I must of been rusty. Its not a sports bike but it really does handle well. I spent all weekend on it and have really got my confidence up now. Id like to do a track day. However, I am not sure the exhaust would pass. its 107db at 5500RPM without the baffle. I run it with the baffle but it is still stupidly loud but sounds incredible.

Last edited by Maddog1982; 31-03-2014 at 13:57.

Rides
    Yup they did, I have the original invoice dated 2008 so it must of been shortly after or old stock. Shame really as I think its one of the nicest looking exhausts for the FZ1. I went to the new J and S in Northwich, parked up and the bike to the right of me was a black FZ1 with these mirrors, looked spot on. Your right the standard ones are horrendous and let the bike down.

I am not changing the bars, I have finally learnt to ride it properly, I must of been rusty. Its not a sports bike but it really does handle well. I spent all weekend on it and have really got my confidence up now. Id like to do a track day. However, I am not sure the exhaust would pass. its 107db at 5500RPM without the baffle. I run it with the baffle but it is still stupidly loud but sounds incredible.
    107 dB No wonder they went bust My race bike was feckin noisy and that used to squeeze past scrutineering at 104.9 dB

I reckon you'd only get away with it with the baffle in on a "noisy" day and then you're taking a risk.

Where are you thinking ? Oulton ? Lovely track

Rides
    107 dB No wonder they went bust My race bike was feckin noisy and that used to squeeze past scrutineering at 104.9 dB

I reckon you'd only get away with it with the baffle in on a "noisy" day and then you're taking a risk.

Where are you thinking ? Oulton ? Lovely track
    Ha ha!!!! It was outrageous without the baffle, there is no way I could ride it like that. Baffle does quieten it down a lot but still noisy.

Yeah, I was thinking Oulton.

Rides
    Oulton is very technical. Its quite a long circuit to learn and its got a lot of elevation changes. You won't be bored . Its nice and local to you too. About 15 miles or so ? I've pedalled from Elworth to Oulton Park before now

I'd be sure to book into the Novice group if I were doing Oulton as my first track day

You might want to check their noise limits too - 102 dB for noisy days IIRC.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 31-03-2014 at 15:04.

Rides
    Sounds fantastic, I was thinking Novice to being my first time and all! I will definitely check the noise limits, im going to have to push the bike the last few miles or they will here me coming! Your right its about that, its really not far at all!

Rides
    Sounds fantastic, I was thinking Novice to being my first time and all! I will definitely check the noise limits, im going to have to push the bike the last few miles or they will here me coming! Your right its about that, its really not far at all!
    Before you are allowed out on track you have to get a scrutineering sticker. They will do a sound check and if you are too loud they'll not let you out. Similarly, they will also do drive-by tests and black flag you if you are too loud. Drive-by dB is lower than the static test but is done from further away.

Rides
    Before you are allowed out on track you have to get a scrutineering sticker. They will do a sound check and if you are too loud they'll not let you out. Similarly, they will also do drive-by tests and black flag you if you are too loud. Drive-by dB is lower than the static test but is done from further away.

Im not sure whether my bike owuld pass this or not! I have had a look on the web and your right it is 102db static and 89 passing. However, there is one company that allows 105 static and 91 passing but the link to the website doesnt work! I will try to get it tested first. I fancy a taster session £20 for 20 mins so spot on to me.