Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    :O I think it looks better, bit meaner.
    Don't disagree. Bandits sound really nice with a Beowulf end can btw

Watch the collectors on the exhaust and under the swing arm linkage - both rot pretty badly. They're ok bikes - if not a bit of a ford mondeo of the biking world. Main problem with them is they're heavy for what they are. That and thirsty!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    You're not still under 24 though, are you?
    I'm 24 next month.

Probably need to find someone nearby who has a similar sized 400 and see what I think. I have quite short legs which might help.

I'd probably only be using it for the odd Friday commute and Friday/Saturday afternoon blasts around the countryside so I don't bankrupt myself in the M3. I'm on a hoon tank at the moment and it's been floating between 18 and 23mpg for the last 200 miles

A 400 would probably suit me better than a bigger bike in terms of how it's likely to ride. I don't really want to be on something that is retardedly fast in all honesty.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 15-04-2013 at 15:46.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I'm 24 next month.

Probably need to find someone nearby who has a similar sized 400 and see what I think. I have quite short legs which might help.

I'd probably only be using it for the odd Friday commute and Friday/Saturday afternoon blasts around the countryside so I don't bankrupt myself in the M3. I'm on a hoon tank at the moment and it's been floating between 18 and 23mpg for the last 200 miles

A 400 would probably suit me better than a bigger bike in terms of how it's likely to ride. I don't really want to be on something that is retardedly fast in all honesty.
    Being 24 you'd just need to do your one test and get your full access - the machine you need to do it on has to comply, ie over 595cc and 40kw, but that's what the training schools would use anyway for DAS nowadays.

The 600's are a bit lazier and more flexible, more mid range and less up top. You can get 600's that aren't nightmarish fast and are quite practical / utilitarian but still very fun to ride. Don't discount the range until you've had a look into it mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    http://cycle-ergo.com/

Compare seating positions for different bikes
    That is very awesome. Trying the different bikes I've had, it looks pretty accurate. Trying a couple of bikes I want but was worried I wouldn't fit on, things look more hopeful.

Rides
    Watch the collectors on the exhaust and under the swing arm linkage - both rot pretty badly. They're ok bikes - if not a bit of a ford mondeo of the biking world. Main problem with them is they're heavy for what they are. That and thirsty!
    I can get 60mpg out of the Fazer if I'm careful, 50odd if I'm not The exhausts rot on them too. SV650s are bad for rust too from what I hear.

Bear in mind also that a v-twin will behave differently to an I4. The twin will have more mid range wherease the 4 will have a lot more top end, but will need winding up further to get it really going.

Or just be silly and get something like a Blackbird that'll go at any revs

Rides
    I can get 60mpg out of the Fazer if I'm careful, 50odd if I'm not
    Yeah you'd never get that out of a Bandit.

I remember when Cosy and I picked up my CBR600 from Warwickshire - James took me up there on the back of his Bandit 6. We filled up to brim in Warwickshire and rode back - Cosy was on reserve by the M11 turnoff! Filled up at the A12 services and he ended up putting near twice the amount of fuel in his I put in mine

Rides
    Right the Mrs has been bending my ear about getting anything other than a 125 for a first bike That's fine I suppose.

The DVLA says I can have 15KW - 20HP are there any 20hp 125s? I think the max is 15hp. However I've noticed that Hyosung 125s have a Vtwin motor What are peoples opinions on them?

I've just been whacked in the head for that bending ear comment

Rides
    Don't touch the Hyosung - too heavy for a 125

Seriously, reach around the front of your pants, have a GOOD rummage down there - find a pair of solid testicles and tell the missus you'll slap her all up on side her face if she doesn't stop the protectionist shit.

Or, if you don't want to lose sexual privileges for foreseeable future - in all seriousness a 125 is actually more difficult to ride safely than a commuter 500/600. It's slower, which means it's got less ability to get you out of the way should you need to, the brakes are PONY compared, it's less stable than the 500's upwards are (you'll see when you ride both - guarantee you'll feel better on the 500+) and motorways etc wouldn't be a lot of fun whatsoever.

Consequences of wrapping yourself round a lamp post at 30mph on a 125 or a 600 is around about the same - instant deathcon 4. May as well at least enjoy the ride up to that point.

Rides
    Jeebus!!!

does she really think a shit chineese copy crap 125 bike is going to be safer to ride than a decent Suzuki or Honda/yamaha etc???

It only goes as fast as YOU want it to

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    It only goes as fast as YOU want it to
    Until you want it to go over 55 and it won't

Rides
    If you're considering a cheapy Chinese 125 check out my thread here

Rides
    If you're considering a cheapy Chinese 125 check out my thread here
    Good lord.

Rides
    Hyosung arent Chinese knock off bikes. They're the Hyundai/ssangyong equivalent brand so are pretty good. The were loads of the GTRs here in Australia and they looked pretty nice.

Rides
    as mentioned bandits aren't great on fuel from most reviews, but in reality the difference between 35-40 and 45-50 is minimal on a bike unless you're using it daily and planning on doing 5k+ per year. it's not like a car where fuel is your only real expense (followed by insurance, servicing and tax)
    bikes tend to be more cost per mile for things like tyres, servicing, upgrades - ok, probably not compared to a 200, but you can expect to replace rear tyres fairly often if you've got soft tyres, probably once a year if you're not just using it the occasional weekend in the summer.

having said that if it worries you I regularly get 40-50mpg out of my tdm if I'm not being a complete twat. on a couple of days gentle touring round france D roads I got into the 60s! so it's not always about the size of the bike as to what sort of economy you'll get big comfy bike that's pretty much ideal for most quickish stuff on UK roads as it soaks up bumps well.
    probably too expensive / lardy / grunty for a first bike though.

I'd avoid an out and out sports bike as your first bike as it'll be more twitchy, less forgiving and you'll want something nice and forgiving that you can gel with to give you your confidence.

whatever you chose, be safe and have fun

Rides
    I think we misunderstood a bit. She just wants me to get a little experience riding before I go for a proper bike. Bit of pootling about before I do the big boy test, then I'll go for something reasonable.

Rides
    Buy a CG125 for £500, ride it for a few weeks, sell it for £500. Easy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stidi View Post
    as mentioned bandits aren't great on fuel from most reviews, but in reality the difference between 35-40 and 45-50 is minimal on a bike unless you're using it daily and planning on doing 5k+ per year. it's not like a car where fuel is your only real expense (followed by insurance, servicing and tax)
    Wasn't really the point per se, cost is one issue - tank range is another. Stopping every 90 miles for fuel would drive me NUTS. The Sprint has proper 200 mile per tank range, and that's as low as I'd want to go TBH

bikes tend to be more cost per mile for things like tyres, servicing, upgrades - ok, probably not compared to a 200, but you can expect to replace rear tyres fairly often if you've got soft tyres, probably once a year if you're not just using it the occasional weekend in the summer.
    Yeah, bike tyres ain't cheap and they don't do massive amounts of miles before they're either worn or very square. Servicing is more expensive too. Always worth bearing in mind the overall costs - for example, having worked it out, the BM is cheaper for me to do my 90 mile a day commute than the Sprint is.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    I think we misunderstood a bit. She just wants me to get a little experience riding before I go for a proper bike. Bit of pootling about before I do the big boy test, then I'll go for something reasonable.
    You get a CBT and 2 full days of messing about on 125's before you hit the big bikes and do your test mate, so there you go - problem solved

Rides
    Regarding servicing costs... 600 Bandit was an old oil-cooled GSX-R mill that needs servicing every 4K miles. My (limited) experience of Bandits is that they tend to have been run on a budget so by now then tend to have knackered head-race bearings, squared tyres, rusty chain and sticky cables. They were a big old clunky budget bike when new. 15 years on, they're tired.

If you compare Bandits, old GSX650F and GS500s to the SV650/SV650S and the new GSX650F they are night and day. Also have a look at the ER-6 from Kawasaki. They're a sort of bandit-only-newer.

Rides
    ER6 is certainly a good shout.

Rides
    ER6 is certainly a good shout.
    Its probably what he'll be learning on.