Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    I did my test on a SV650 and it was spot on

but the feel and build quality of the monster made the Suzuki look like a cheap chinese ebay special

Rides
    Double-o post-o balls up-o

Rides
    A much better investment than ground anchors would be a shed. It will protect the bike, keep it out of sight and the cost won't be a lot different.

I'm really impressed with the quotes you guys have been getting. A few years ago you wouldn't have got on an R6 as a first bike for less than a grand.

Also, when I was young and stupid, I ignored advice on gear and had to learn the hard way. I've come off in jeans and a parka (it was quite a few years ago) at 40 and got some pretty nasty gravel rash. More recently, I came off at 85ish in full leathers and walked away with stiff joints only.

Re: Helmets, try several different brands on until you get a good fit. There is plenty of details in the other threads that have been posted about starting out but basically there are three different shapes of head so you have to find a brand of lid that fits. AGV and Arai fit for me. Shoei are awful for my head but fit my Mrs really nicely.

Rides
    I did my DA just over 4 years ago, as the new test came in, (thought we were gonna be doing the new style test due to the wait for a test, but it got delayed 6 months so got the old style test).

I did my theory, CBT then direct access. Where we did it they use your CBT to judge how many days lessons you'll need and if you book within a certain, (short), timeframe they use your CBT as your first lesson or something like that.

I bought a Honda CG125, (same as I did my CBT on), for a few hundred quid to get a bit of practice on between ny CBT and prper lessons.

Then 3 days of lessons, (sunday, then following saturday and sunday), then test on the Tuesday.

I'd already bought my proper bike before my test, I went straight for a GSXR750, (currently for sale ), as it's the bike I was doing my test to own! However when I was getting insurance quotes it was over 3 times the cost of a GSXR600 to insure, (motortrade solved that problem).

I did what Jonny has suggested and bought a shed, it only cost £200 for an 8x6 decent quality one delivered. I've got that with a decent padlock behind a gate with a huge Chubb lock on and the bike has a disk lock too. I did plan on cutting a hole in the floor and concreting a ground anchor in but decided it wasn't necessary.

Apparently Arai and Shoei used to be for different head shapes, (think Arai was round and Shoei was long front to back), but when I was looking I heard thats not the case anymore and I've got both that fit really well. I've got an Arai Viper GT and Shoei XR1000. The Arai is MUCH nicer, feels more expensive and is a lot smaller, (in bulk), so feels more fitted and less obtrusive, the downside is it's horrendously noisy, (hence me buying the Shoei!), visor change is stupid too. The Shoei is a nice helmet but doesn't feel as posh and is a lot more bulky. One thing I would recommend is to use ear buds, my ears are always ringing after a decent ride.

Alex B

Rides
    My only advice on helmets would be
    - buy one that fits (snug, no gaps and won't turn on your head) and don't think it will bed in much. It won't. If its tight somewhere, it will stay tight. That will mean trying on a lot of helmets. If one you like doesn't fit, try one size up or one size down then give it up and move on.
    - buy a white or black one as it will go with any bike and white it cheaper.
    - ALWAYS wear earbuds - I've done 250K miles in AGVs and Arai Quantums and RX-7s, mostly at speed It makes your journey much more relaxing and my hearing is still perfect.

Rides
    Hmm, interesting JW - my old HJC bedded in like a child-bearing fanny

Definitely on the ear protection

Rides
    Agv or Nitro are my head protection of choice

And on the ear protection if you can afford them get custom made pairs worth every penny comfort fit and noise reduction

Rides
    Never felt the need for ear protection in my Nitro lid..... but then I have only ever had standard exhausts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Never felt the need for ear protection in my Nitro lid..... but then I have only ever had standard exhausts
    It's not exhaust noise that gets you - it's wind noise, and no matter what lid, you're 'hearing' it and it's damaging you.

Seriously - use ear plugs. I didn't for the first ~8 months of riding and I now have tinnitus on and off on occasion

Rides
    Arry, if your new lid felt "a little tight all over" then yes it will bed in and become more comfortable. What I am talking about is if it makes you frown because the padding is gripping your forehead or if the cheek pads make you do a goldfish impression or you can't get your glasses on once the helmet is on... then it will loosen up just a little but not enough to make it a good fit nor to stop you getting headaches.

Similarly, if you can turn the helmet through more than about 5 degrees side to side without moving your head or tip it up/down with the strap fastened so that your field of vision is impaired...its a bad fit.

Rides
    I'm going to a showroom tomorrow just to have a nosey so I'll see if I can try some on

I've used ear plugs plenty before and I agree I'll be needing some. Can I get some that will last or will I need to stock up on the little yellow fellows?

Rides
    i tend to bulk buy the disposables myself,
    i bought 10 pairs of various styles a few years back and settled on these...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Howard-...item5ad6f027eb
    for the price of ~15p a pair I've never bothered with custom ones - especially as they get mucky / i tend to lose them lots.
    if i rode everyday i might try a posh pair, but i'm a fair weather rider normally due to the distances I tend to do for work (long straight motorway runs are boring enough in a car, even more so on a bike - and i rarely hit enough traffic to justify the difference in comfort!)

buying them wrapped as pairs lets you leave a couple of spares in your tank bag / inner jacket pocket for both yourself and pillions

Rides
    I use custom moulded ones - they cost me about £50 but they're excellent.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stidi View Post
    i tend to bulk buy the disposables myself,
    i bought 10 pairs of various styles a few years back and settled on these...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Howard-...item5ad6f027eb
    for the price of ~15p a pair I've never bothered with custom ones - especially as they get mucky / i tend to lose them lots.
    if i rode everyday i might try a posh pair, but i'm a fair weather rider normally due to the distances I tend to do for work (long straight motorway runs are boring enough in a car, even more so on a bike - and i rarely hit enough traffic to justify the difference in comfort!)

buying them wrapped as pairs lets you leave a couple of spares in your tank bag / inner jacket pocket for both yourself and pillions
    I used to do this. I'd buy 100 pairs and change them once a week (that was about 500 miles). I used to buy the orange ones like this as they fitted into my ear better and were more comfortable once they expanded than any other type I tried. http://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-BIKE-MOTO...ugs+motorcycle

Its a personal thing though I guess.

Rides
    I always ride with plugs without fail. It also makes the ride so much more pleasant. I bought some of the Motrax branded ones (rocket shaped) and didnt get on with them. They always expanded too quickly so I couldn't push them far enough in my ear to get a good fit. I then started using the dirt cheap arco ones at work (yellow, stick of rock shaped) and theyve been great,

Rides
    I've just got back from the showroom

The guy in there was very helpful and insisted I sit on all different types of bike then started and revved them... Fantastic!

Then I sat on and revved a new R6!!!

Rides
    LOL. Wasting no time there then fella!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    I've just got back from the showroom

The guy in there was very helpful and insisted I sit on all different types of bike then started and revved them... Fantastic!

Then I sat on and revved a new R6!!!
    And he reeels you in

Dont be fixated too much on sports bikes, you'll be shocked at how much fun you can have on others so try them all out. Both me and Bren had Street Triples which are regarded as the best 600 class nakeds. However we both didnt gel with it, I went to a classic, him to enduros.

Rides
    My 'Blade is lovely to ride etc, but I don't think I would like to start on something with such urgent handling, I learn't a lot from the more forgiving charictoristics of my Monster

Rides
    What is the general cost from start to finish of doing your bike liscence?