Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    I don't fancy risking it that way. I can ride a bike and have had a CBT in the past.

It's not too expensive when you look at what the average for a car is these days. It works out at nearly a grand!!!
    I passed my test second time and it still cost less than £400 but that was 12 years ago lol.

Rides
    Yeah, things are definitely more expensive these days - then I remember that at the pumps the number of litres used to go up faster than the number of pounds.

Rides
    Yeah I remember paying something like 70p L when I passed

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Can anyone point me to something to look at? My bike has suddenly started being a bugger to start, I had to bump it this morning and again on the way home

It starts once warm easy enough though. Cranks on the battery then after a while the battery starts to die down and I've got to bump it.

It's carbed by the way
    Had this on my GSXR. Was a dying battery. Also similar symptoms on my Daytona and that was the stator getting over loaded. I would still guess an ageing battery.

Rides
    similar to my Ducati....

turned out to be two of the magnets had come off the inside of the starter motor

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    Had this on my GSXR. Was a dying battery. Also similar symptoms on my Daytona and that was the stator getting over loaded. I would still guess an ageing battery.
    I'd tend to agree.

Rides
    I'm going to check the air filter tomorrow to rule that out. The chap I bought it from said it just had a new battery

Rides
    Hasn't been charged on a normal 12v charger or sommat has it?

Rides
    Not as far as I know. I haven't charged it at all apart from riding around.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    Yeah I remember paying something like 70p L when I passed
    I remember filling my tank for the first time. 37.5p it cost me. Not per litre..for a whole tank

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I remember filling my tank for the first time. 37.5p it cost me. Not per litre..for a whole tank
    And I thought I was old ha.

Rides
    And I thought I was old ha.
    I'm just relieved I didn't have to say seven shillings and sixpence.

Rides
    Had to bump it again this morning. A delivery guy came by who knows his bikes so I showed him, he reckons the battery is ****ed so I'll get them to check that at the shop tomorrow when I go to collect my chain brush

He also suggested I check the earth and make sure no cables have become exposed and shorting.

Rides
    While I'm here. What would you guys suggest for a daily ride of around 25 miles each way to work.

I've been looking at bandit 600s. CBR600S. SV650s Ducati monster 600 and CBF 600s.

Those seem to be more commuter 600s but still sporty. And all fall into the bracket of a first bike choice and low ish insurance. Also my budget of between 1 - 1.5k.

Rides
    I don't know how any of those ride but I'll probably be getting a bandit.

Rides
    While I'm here. What would you guys suggest for a daily ride of around 25 miles each way to work.

I've been looking at bandit 600s. CBR600S. SV650s Ducati monster 600 and CBF 600s.

Those seem to be more commuter 600s but still sporty. And all fall into the bracket of a first bike choice and low ish insurance. Also my budget of between 1 - 1.5k.
    If you think you are likely to drop it (first bike, riding in winter and so on) a naked is best as plastic damage can write off the bike.

If the 25 miles is going to be done at 70-something mph a fairing will be important. At 50-60 mostly, it won't be.

Personally, I'd go with SV650S, CBR600F, CBF600, Bandit, Ducati as an order of preference based on reliability,economy and fun-factor.

Rides
    Gents, I've uploaded a video of how the bike sounds as I think there's a problem. Could you take a look at let me know what you reckon? Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7UoYXzoMVE

Edit: I should say when I got home just before that video I was just sat on it revving a bit trying to figure out the cause of this funny sound, the revs died a bit on the return of each twist of the throttle like it would have cut out and it was well up to temperature after a 12 mile ride. Obviously the buzzing and clicking is because the battery is past its best. The noise I mean it under heavier revs, all I can describe it as is a hollow sound? I'm sure it wasn't there before
    Last edited by spencer_foxwell; 11-06-2013 at 13:41.

Rides
    Hmmm Spence

Listening to that and also your battery problems do you have a generator or and a retifier problem in that the generator is over charging the bike and killing the battery at the same time ?

Any one else got a theory or am i barking up the wrong tree ?

As JW says "Personally, I'd go with SV650S, CBR600F, CBF600, Bandit, Ducati as an order of preference based on reliability,economy and fun-factor. " hes spot on

Rides
    I'm looking over the wires on the bike now, can anyone point me towards where the earth is likely to be? I cannot see anything connected to the frame

Rides
    I just took it to my local friendly shop and the battery is nackered, and an utterly garbage brand I've got a decent new one on order for tomorrow