Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Great you won't look back!

Got anything booked?

Rides
    Not yet mate. Need to look at what the procedure is. Whatever I decide,I don't want to be restricted to a certain cc. Not got any experience on a road bike but had plenty of off road bikes. Really excited though. Just breaking the news of my intentions to my partner and family. Not going down well.

Rides
    Haha. You will be restricted to 125cc and 14.6bhp on a CBT licence. Once you have a full licence you can do what you like if you're 24 and over

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    Haha. You will be restricted to 125cc and 14.6bhp on a CBT licence. Once you have a full licence you can do what you like if you're 24 and over
    Can you go in for a full license straight away after passing your theory test ?

Rides
    you need CBT first then go for Mod1 + 2

Rides
    Yeah but you'll want some training. These are the guys I'm using http://www.lets-ride.co.uk/ just to give you an idea.

Edit: Oh yeah and CBT first
    Last edited by spencer_foxwell; 09-06-2013 at 19:43.

Rides
    Thanks for the info guys. Their are a few riding schools close to me so have that sorted. Most likely going to part with my silvia to raise some funds as a new house,wedding and already having a daily car means it may need to go. As much as I dont want to sell as I love it to bits,its just to much money sitting their not getting used. If anything will come of it I should hopefully remain some of the money and put myself through all training for my bike license.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Been thinking of getting my bike license since I was a kid. Always been scared of the thought of how dangerous they are and mainly been put off by family who are scared of me doing so. Now at the age of 31 I'm thinking of going for it. This thread has gave me that push.
    Same here
    For the CBT, do they normally hire kit (helmet etc) or do you have to get that before hand ?
    The cost of equipment has put me off in the past but splitting up the purchases should make it doable

Rides
    Training should include use of the bike, insurance etc plus any gear you don't have. Expect to pay around £150/day.

Rides
    Can anyone point me to something to look at? My bike has suddenly started being a bugger to start, I had to bump it this morning and again on the way home

It starts once warm easy enough though. Cranks on the battery then after a while the battery starts to die down and I've got to bump it.

It's carbed by the way

Rides
    Are you using the choke? When it's cranking, does it try to fire? Try turning key/killswitch on/off a few times and try again when it doesn't want to go.

Rides
    Just thought I'd add to this thread as I'm doing my test soon.

Theory is £31.
    Theory app is £1.45
    Main test for direct access is £585 which includes CBT.

So all in just a tad over £600 for the lot

Bloody expensive.

Rides
    Yeah it does try to go with the occasional cough. I have always started it using a spot of throttle then applying choke, is that wrong? It's been buzzing and clicking (starter solenoid?) a bit lately when I press the starter like it doesn't have enough power to turn over but if I keep trying for a few seconds it will start to turn over and has always started (sometimes took a good few tries) but now it doesn't want to know

It's really great to see how many other people are looking into riding

Rides
    Your best chance of getting it to start from cold is to pull the choke right out and leave the throttle closed. Then crank for around 4-5 seconds or until it starts. If it catches, you can blip the throttle a bit if you find it helps.

One thing to check is the air filter. Cheap bikes sometime don't get serviced or get serviced on the cheap and a clogged air filter will make starting difficult.

Rides
    Thanks Jonny I'll take a look

Rides
    Woohoo. Just booked my theory test. Sit it on the 6 July. Better get preparing. For the guys who have passed their theory lately, how did you prepare for it ?

Rides
    I bought a bike test DVD and took a load of tests

Edit: it's from Focus Multimedia "The Complete Motorcycle test"

If you're nearby you can have mine.
    Last edited by spencer_foxwell; 10-06-2013 at 17:33.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    I bought a bike test DVD and took a load of tests
    How did you find the actual test on the day ? It was around 10 yrs ago I sat my theory for my driving license. From what I remember it was a lot of common sense. Imagine a lot has changed since then though.
    Last edited by Paddy; 10-06-2013 at 17:38.

Rides
    I didn't fail any theory tests at all on my practicing, or the real one. The pain is the hazard perception, I've been driving for 9 or 10 years and kept clicking too early :/ Someone on here suggested clicking 3 times about 1 second apart for the hazard and that worked well even on the real test, it didn't disqualify any clips. Every clip had 1 hazard they want you to click for but one has 2.

Edit: To actually answer your question the multiple choice section was easily passed but I was frankly suprised how much I didn't know or wasn't sure about. It's well worth swatting up a bit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    Just thought I'd add to this thread as I'm doing my test soon.

Theory is £31.
    Theory app is £1.45
    Main test for direct access is £585 which includes CBT.

So all in just a tad over £600 for the lot

Bloody expensive.
    Not really that expensive. That's 4 days + of training using someone else's bike and bike gear ... Driving lessons are what, £20 an hour nowadays so put into perspective it's not really that terrible.

You could do it cheaper, anyway - do the CBT, watch all the necessary videos, get some experience out on the road and practice then just book a day's instruction with bike use for the tests