Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Little trip to Norfolk with a mate last week, for a couple of nights - took Bimble because I've been enjoying it recently and had done an oil change / it was ready for action.

The Honda couldn't actually take its own luggage so up stepped Donkey:

I didn't get a lot of pics from the trip but we did stop at Hunstanton for some fish n chips. Lots of bikes on the front.

Rides
    Went away to Wales for the weekend on a last minute jolly.

Mostly over well trodden ground as didn't have much time to plan routes. But taking in the B4520 out of Brecon and the A483 up to Newtown is always a joyful experience.

Friday was glorious sunshine and despite having done 230 miles to get there, I was keen to get out to the Elan Valley:

Saturday was absolutely abysmal weather, and I dabbled with the idea of just staying in town and drinking lots and lots of beer instead. But I noticed that the west coast was looking drier and less miserable than the Brecon Beacons, so decided to head over that way, down the A40 to Llandovery, off up to Lampeter and out to the coast road, ending in Aberystwyth.

Then off to Devil's Bridge before cutting back down towards Rhayader and taking the A470 back as, by this point, the rain was tragic, I was soaking wet, could barely see and had no energy left to do any nice roads. It was just get back, get changed, get to the pub and warm up.

Sunday was overcast but, mercifully, dry. I had soggy gear on but heated grips on sorted my gloves out relatively quickly, and my lid dried out with a bit of airflow.

Decided to do a lap of the Black Mountain on the 4067 and 4069 - this was pretty miserable for two reasons - 1) there was a cycle race going on and there were thousands of them and 2) it's a 40mph limit these days anyway. Kill joys. Still, nice views at the top.

Then headed to Bala via the A483 to Newtown before dropping back down to the west slightly, and picking up the Mountain Road B4518 across the top before turning off towards Dyliffe and into Machynlleth, and then onto Bala for a sit down and an ice cream as, at this point, it was actually a rather nice day.

900 miles all told, 275 miles on Sunday which was a bit of a schlep for a bike like the R NineT.

Rides
    Talk about making it difficult to do business with insurance companies !!!

Got a renewal quote for the Honda with Bennetts that was a 35% uptick on last year. I've been with them for the last three years.

I got a quote by email through MCN Compare the next day based on details I put in last year and the cheapest was Hastings (who I won't deal with due to reputation).

Next cheapest was Devitts and I know them from when I worked at Churchill, underwriter was Markerstudy and the price was the same as I paid last year so I thought...all good

Clicked through and checked the details and one of the assumptions is that I have no DVLA reportable conditions (which I do have).

OK, I thought, I'll call them. Hung on the line, got the usual "unusually busy" bollix, hung on then got through and got cut off.

Tried again, got bored so asked for a call back.

They just called back and said

As long as you have reported it, that's ok. Unfortunately, our payment systems are down at the moment so I can't process it for you.

Can I get a call back when your payment systems are back ?

Sorry, no. We are too busy.

How hard do you have to try to give someone your business ?

Rides
    It's been rough the last few months with all of them. I blame Brexit, Covid19 and the Pope.

Have you tried BeMoto?

Rides
    Not to rub salt in your wounds but I just got the renewal through for the R NineT and it's gone down 10% on last year

But then it's still more than you'd ever dream of paying for motorcycle insurance because you're oooold and live in the sort of place where stabby-stabbies don't come and angle grind your locks off.

Rides
    Had the ktm renewal from bennetts, up from £75 to £130+ , mental....

Compared the market and most were around £80, rang bennetts to cancel and they dropped down to £80 odd, can't remember exact number but I renewed save another call or Internet arse around.

Shouldn't have really for the extortionate jump up which I expect they hoped would just auto renew for nearly double the price

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    Also........ £43 fill the tank! Jebus ghats gone up!

Managed get a spin out meet up with a few work lads at the raven truck stop near Whitchurch, was mental packed..... makes fir a decent ride out for a brew and burger for anyone this end of the country.

Found out that Google maps no longer work with the screen off, which is convenient

I think I've found the answer, turning off "driving mode" in the settings, but haven't has chance try it yet, anyone else use it for sat nav? I used to just use my wireless headphones and maps in my pocket when I wasn't sure where to go. This awesome new feature had me doing 30 miles with the orange light on down country lanes guessing my way to a petrol station following signs for Whitchurch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Also........ £43 fill the tank! Jebus ghats gone up!
    It is a big tank, to be fair. But then it's not the most economical of bikes is it

Still, you're paying about a third of what I used to pay to insure it. The benefits of living near that there shithole.

Rides
    Stoke does have its plus points

Think the last time I filled it was before the winter break, £28 so it's had a fair hike over the last 6 months.... one thing it does make clear tho - I need get more seat time....

Soon as this kitchens done I'm having a week out on it every night

Rides
    Do what I do, pack up for a long weekend and sod off to camp away from the missus.

Rides
    Nipped to Burnham on the Enfield for some seafood.

Made a friend on the way back. Really nice guy - very eccentric. Ex racer turned artist. Had the BSA for near 50 years.

Rides
    Tally ho

Rides
    You aint never gonna get yer knee down man !

Rides
    Took Frau to the BMW Dealership for servicing.

£190 including VAT. Not bad really. Well, I thought it wasn't, until I realised that they've charged £56 plus VAT for 4 litres of BMW's special magic 15w40 oil, that burns off in the boxer in no time at all

Rides
    Went to the Isle of Wight for the weekend, on pretty much a whim.

Ferry across:

Hired a hammock at a campsite just outside Yarmouth, which made the whole camping thing a bit easier but also quite rustic/authentic:

Rode the coast road a good few times for the lols:

Saw some other sight-seeing stuff - Carisbrook Castle, for example:

And the steam railways:

Went off to the Needles, got the chairlift, and then the rib out to see them close up:

And found some cool places to eat along the coast - some really good food with lots of local crab:

~500 miles all told. Excellent weekend on me toddies.

Rides
    Over the past week I have been over in Kefalonia having a bit of me time.

Hired the most powerful two wheeled machine available. Beast Mode Activated.

Then just spanked it around for 400 miles over 4 days having fun up and down the mountains and off the beaten tracks a bit.

Second time I've done this. Still just as enjoyable. Kefalonia is a very pretty place with some dramatic views.

Rides
    That looks pretty amazing. What's the temperature like at this time of year ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    That looks pretty amazing. What's the temperature like at this time of year ?
    Was a solid 23-25 degrees, going down to about 17-19 overnight, so perfectly comfortable with the need for maybe a light jumper in the evenings if you were in the breeze.

Had ~2 hours of rain early morning but that turned into a bright and sunny day again shortly after. 2 days were bright full sunshine, 2 were cloudier but by no means unpleasant for it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Over the past week I have been over in Kefalonia having a bit of me time.

Hired the most powerful two wheeled machine available. Beast Mode Activated.

Then just spanked it around for 400 miles over 4 days having fun up and down the mountains and off the beaten tracks a bit.

Second time I've done this. Still just as enjoyable. Kefalonia is a very pretty place with some dramatic views.

Wow mate.

When you need "Me Time" you do it in style

Rides
    Ok bike noob here asking a possible dumb question. I don't have time to read this whole thread and the laws will have changed since the start so I'm sorry if the answer is obvious. I passed my car test in 2007 and class C in 2013. I passed a CBT last month and have just passed a bike theory test. Do I need to apply for a provisional entitlement for cat A1 or do I get that from doing CBT?
    I want to book the mod 1 but want to make sure I don't need to do something else first?