Page 101 of 106 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Added more lean at the same time as adding throttle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jsQJ04kVM

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You're not leaning off too far Your upper body is still too close to centre.

What Robert said on in the comments is about spot on but to reiterate, you went from off throttle to open throttle at the apex on a damp track whilst leant over quite a way (because your upper body wasn't leaning off enough so the bike has to lean further and you can't get your knee down to find how far over you are leant) on average tyres probably running too high a tyre pressure and possibly still with cold tyres (I don't know what lap you were on but it could take 5-6 laps to get them up to temperature at the pace you had in the weather you were having).

Thats a fair old sentence lol.

Basically,

Get better tyres
    Go into the corner on a lightly open throttle
    Wait until you are picking the bike up before adding power
    Lean off more with your upper body so the bike doesn't have to lean as much
    Relax on the bike with a light grip on the bars
    Add stomp grips to the sides of the tank
    When moving side to side, lift your arse out of the seat with your legs so you are gliding side to side. Your leg muscles should be killing you the following day.

On the positive side, your lines were better. Still a little early on the apexes but much better. And you don't lack bravery in terms of leaning on a damp track. Try to do some dry track days
    Thanks Jonny,

Ye your correct my upper body isn't doing what I want it to lol, I did try to think about the things you messaged me before but yes much more practice needed. Luckily Rob Menzies is local to me, met him once before actually, he lapped Cadwell about 20 odd seconds faster than me in fast group when he went there last week, crazy! He did say he would come and watch through a bit more of my footage and have a chat about things a bit more, hopefully that will help too.

Yes I think my line improved so if nothing else that's some improvement! Grips, a 1 piece suit and a back protector are all on my Christmas list!

arry I need to watch a lot more tutorials, just started watching through the LIFE AT LEAN on Youtube, that guy seems knowledgeable but sometimes watching and doing are 2 different things.....

All input appreciated,

Thanks

Rides
    Bit of a mission yesterday. Sort of my fault although I'm not taking all the blame.

A while back I found a place called Chappel about 50 miles up the road. It's a nice little village on the Colne river but the specific reason for going there was to see the Viaduct:

So off I trotted and eventually..... success

However, it wasn't without its challenges. Firstly, I'd plotted the route some time ago on my Beeline and devised that I'd do it on the Enfield, so I planned in the lower speed, single track sort of stuff because the Enfield is really at home there. The BM - yeah, less so Secondly, I didn't stop to look at the route again before I started off (otherwise I'd probably have changed it) and ended up going 10 miles out of my way in a slightly different direction, second guessing what the sat nav was going to do. Thirdly, the sat nav didn't take into account a couple of road closures that had me chasing diversion signs and THEN heading straight back to the problem area as the nav wanted to hit the waymarker not realising I wanted to move onto the next one That was a bit frustrating, but hey, it's all miles.

Also had a rather interesting experience coming through the single track stuff with a blind left hander. Moved over to the middle/right of the track for visibility and as I got visibility of things moving towards me, ducked into the left and hugged the verge, came to a stop. Yeah, Team Sky Wannabie MF's coming the other way 3 abreast, furthest right hit the brakes and had nowhere to go - just clipped my mirror and shoulder on the way through What on earth they'd all have done if there was a car coming is beyond me

110 miles ish total (about 15 of those lost). Just ticked over 5000 miles on the BM, so that's ~1550 since middle of July. Not bad.

Rides
    No photos but I managed nearly 200 miles on the Aprilia yesterday going to look at a car in Ivybridge (East of Plymouth).

I have achy wrists and was very bored as there are still lots of "nearly deads" bimbling round looking for somewhere to have a picnic/cream tea

Had a few fun moments when I did get to open the throttle but it just reaffirmed my belief that this is not a bike that makes sense on the road. I'd have been much better off on the Honda. Still better than being in a car though

Rides
    Yesterday a mate and I went on a 'last call for Summer 2020' type of ride setting off into the Essex countryside with Constable Country in our sights.

All packed up and ready to leave:

A boring 25 miles or so before the roads start to open up a bit and we hit the far side of Maldon, into Goldhangar and on towards Great Wigborough before crossing The Strood causeway onto Mersea Island where I was hoping to get some Native Oysters, but alas no such luck unless we wanted to wait around an hour - nope, some riding to do today, so we opted for cockles and crayfish tails whilst we watched paddle boarders get soggy

We then chopped through a bit of Colchester and up towards Halstead aiming at Chappel Viaduct:

And then lastly headed through some smaller lanes to hit Constable Country itself, taking the B1068 towards Stoke By Nayland and onwards to Flatford Mill to see the Haywain.

At this point, we should have parked at the top and walked down, but other than a dead end sign there were no signs to say closed to vehicular traffic, so we took full advantage and just rode down the lane. Near the bottom, a busy-body came to tell us to turn around and go back to the parking area. I was playing polite with 'sorry got ear plugs in can't really hear you' whereas my mate just went 'screw this bitch, outta my way' and just launched it past her

The upshot was, cool shot of bike at The Haywain

One last stop on the way back past Hanningfield for a break. Whilst there, a couple walking along past us had obviously gotten into some distress - the young girl had somehow lost her bra and other items of clothing that stopped everyone from seeing her boobies No pics though, soz.

Had a really good time and after a miserable couple of weeks at work, a day out on a motorcycle with yer mate in tow was a very welcome experience

Rides
    Nice write up and pic Arry

I used to live in "Constable country" many moons ago

Had a spin past Hanningfield myself yesterday, someone had obviously had some sort of failure as there was a lot of plastic on the side, so I neglected to stop and ruin my tyres on it.
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    This is a bit of an odd one....

I went for a ride this morning on the Aprilia. Managed around 75 miles and got some fairly lucky breaks in the traffic so managed to crack on a bit.

I checked tyre pressures beforehand and they were perfect 23/25 front and back (kg/cm). Bike handled perfectly there and back and I had loads of confidence in it.

Just went to put something in the garage and the front tyre was completely flat.

Checked for damage/foreign objects and nothing.

Reinflated and its stayed up for over 30 minutes.

Clues ?

Rides
    Both the valve stems failed on my fireblade after 4yrs, cracked and lost pressure when warm...

Very very brittle and snapped when wobbled gently, was worrying how easy they came apart, especially as I had been on a swift run the day before...

Worth a check

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Metal valve stems both front and back. I guess it could be stem seals as they are now 9 years old. Thanks for the thought. I might need to take it to a tyre place.

Rides
    Are the tyres then 9 years old mate?

Rides
    No. 5 years old. Bridgestone S21s but the valves didn't get replaced as they were metal.

Rides
    I'd reckon on the stems being iffy first and foremost - but dipping it will tell all I guess.

Rides
    Haven't been riding so much lately as every time I've had the time, the weather has just been shit But I did manage to get the Enfield out and over to Bradwell for a decent run last weekend, narrowly dodging a shower there which I just caught the tail of, and getting wet in a downpour just as I entered my road, but managing to get out of my gear before the soggy balls stage

And then because it appears the ****ing scrotes have decided our area is next for their fun and games I've been busy installing a couple of these, one for each bike:

Three high value bikes nicked from within garages within 2 miles of me in the last 3-4 days. I guess I'd better start looking at alarms

Rides
    You could fit a remote PIR sensor in your garage and hook it into your house alarm.

That is the set up I have. You just have to remember to switch off the house alarm before going into the garage lol

Rides
    First time I'd made it out for a while and by golly it was cold. Didn't mind that so much but having not ridden for a few months and with the roads through the villages flooding out nicely, everything seemed a bit sketchy today.

So naturally, I decided to go to somewhere I haven't been in as long as I can remember In fact, the more I sat and thought about it, I don't recall that I've ever been there. Has my memory become that bad in Lockdown?

Epping Tea Hut.

Was quite busy round there; given we're at absolute megadeath with the Rona I was expecting it a bit quieter but nope, the forest was heaving.

Got chatting to a nice fella that owned this oddity:

A Sanglas 500.

He'd owned it 30+ years and had sorted out most of its 'foibles'. Was a nice chat given I've not spoken to anyone for months really.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    First time I'd made it out for a while and by golly it was cold. Didn't mind that so much but having not ridden for a few months and with the roads through the villages flooding out nicely, everything seemed a bit sketchy today.

So naturally, I decided to go to somewhere I haven't been in as long as I can remember In fact, the more I sat and thought about it, I don't recall that I've ever been there. Has my memory become that bad in Lockdown?

Epping Tea Hut.

Was quite busy round there; given we're at absolute megadeath with the Rona I was expecting it a bit quieter but nope, the forest was heaving.

Got chatting to a nice fella that owned this oddity:

A Sanglas 500.

He'd owned it 30+ years and had sorted out most of its 'foibles'. Was a nice chat given I've not spoken to anyone for months really.
    What bike did you ride? I don’t know the emblems, but that looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    That's my Royal Enfield

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    That's my Royal Enfield
    ...misnamed the Bullet lol

I haven't seen a Sanglas 500 since the late 70s when a neighbour had one. Fugly commuter really built out of Barcelona IIRC and using other peoples engines mostly. That looks like a 2-stroke Zundapp engine. They did a 4-stroke twin 500 towards the end, I think.

Rides
    My recollection says Sanglass 500 used a SOHC 4 stroke Rotax 500 single.

Mate borrowed one. Said it was awful. This coming from a guy that had had a TriBSA 650 called SNOT.

He was impressed by the Ducati 500 Panter.

Rides
    The guy was telling me some of the reasons why the engine was a POS which is what he's worked to overcome over the years. I didn't have the heart to question why he bothered