Page 88 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides

Rides
    Very swish!

Rides
    Steering dampers are for low speed wobble.

Tyres have a big impact on high speed weave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s

Club I was member of met weekly and used to have a film night once a month, either Dunlop, Champion spark plugs or Shell film library. Being told we would never encounter high weave on public road would have been met with derisive peels of laughter.

I had a go on a Z1R. That had a 2 lane kerb to kerb weave. As I only weighed 9 1/2 stone even getting getting no nose on the clocks didn't stop it. Wasn't violent but nice and slow, at about 1 lamp post / cycle.

Mate with a BMW R90S put some Avon's on it, kinda triangular front tyre profile. Says it weaved horribly even 2 up. Put it back on Conti's, no weave.

I had a Honda 500/4 with Dunlop TT100's and a big top box mounted rearwards so the rack's grabrail was still usable. Never weaved. It did have a telescopic steering damper. Maybe it couldn't do more than 75 mph.

Rides
    I had a Suzuki t500 that weaved for England in a fast left hander. My plan is to get this gaxr750 seriously squirrelly out of druids at brands. It comes with a steering damper under the headstock as standard due to the headstock angle so I'm fitting an adjustable 916-style damper so i can tweak it on the fly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides

600 mile run in procedure​ achievement unlocked.

First 6.8 miles of full throttle. It's no quicker, just makes for more vibration and noise

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Just had a real scare on the KTM. Onto a roundabout and flicked it in to the right and the front tucked under. Saved it somehow but wow, it went real quick and without any provocation.

I think I have an issue with the front brakes which has caused it. Had a bit of rubbing I could hear when coming through traffic and I got on the brake at one point and a light touch led to more retardation than I expected, almost snatchy. Thinking front caliper stuck as I flicked it in and tried to send it down, probably released a bit as I countered it which is why I managed to save it.

Shit me up TBH
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...brake-failure/

Thanks for making it common knowledge KTM

Turns out they wrote to owners in 2010 saying that the front brakes are prone to seizing if they get used over winter. Brill.

Rides
    A relatively quick write-up of last weekend's long weekender away into Norfolk/Suffolk.

Last year on another forum there was a group Belgium war memorial trip organised by someone I'd never met, but which I decided to join in on.
    Through a funny turn of French workshy strike reasons it ended up with only half the group heading that way, and the other half holding their willies feeling sorry for themselves as things hadn't panned out - until someone said 'sod it, we've got the time off, the bikes are ready, let's just go somewhere anyway' - and so a legendary weekend in Wales was had by 4 of us 'remainers', blasting through the Brecon Beacons and beyond.

Anyway, fast forward to this year and the little splinter group had been trying to organise another blast out of a long weekend. Dates were suggested, and none of them actually worked for everyone so in the end, we had to splinter a little further and run in pairs.

Arranging a cosy weekend for 2 ended up a lot easier than for 4, and we cleverly hedged our bets on the weather by booking a camp site in South West Wales and a camp site in Norfolk - whichever one worked out to be looking the best was the way we were heading.

Norfolk won out on the grounds the weather looked to be going that way and we stayed here:
    http://www.foxhillscamping.co.uk/

Nice site, really good camping ground, adequate facilities, lovely owners and a great location with a pub within easy walking distance for those long summer evenings. 9/10, would recommend.

I'd done a bit of digging on the internet to research some routes in both places but secretly I was hoping Norfolk was going to win out as I really wanted to do the Norfolk TT:
    http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...-_42d3d29.html

So after heading up on the Friday mostly in the pouring rain, grabbing the odd nice road here and there whilst the rain held at bay, we took our chances on the Norfolk TT on the Saturday - expecting the roads to be busy and not really knowing whether it was going to be any good.

Thankfully the weather on Saturday was frankly excellent with the exception of a small afternoon shower, because we were going to have a good old blast on this route.

The comments say it all; bit of everything, Long fast straights interspersed with fast corners and slower technical twists. It was also pretty light in respect of traffic, didn't have a load of coppers everywhere and made us both grin ear to ear in places

We were not quite prepared for the variation in scenery. It ranged from wide open spaces of flatness (including one piece slightly off route which was as straight as I'd imagine an American road to be, which went on for about 8 miles!) right through to charging through forestland and winding down hillsides. It was quite an intoxicating combination with the roads ranging from nadgery getting on for single track, through to wide flowing fast sweepers adding to the mix.

On the way back we routed over towards Kings Lynn and did the coast road from there up through Hunstanton and along through Wells next the Sea - one part just through Cley turns into a pretty epic up / down the cliffside flip flopping the bike over left to right. A decent stretch but probably let down by the endless 20mph zones that get a bit annoying.

On Sunday the weather was again excellent and we decided to go a'la carte in terms of road selection and not rely on routes per se, just head in a general direction towards the Norfolk Broads. The idea was to stop in Cromer just for a looksy, then down to North Walsham for a visit to the Motorcycle Museum then down to the likes of Caister for fish and chips. As it turns out, fish and chips doesn't really happen on a Sunday outside of the civilised world so we settled for a big roast dinner and food coma instead

The Norfolk Motorcycle Museum is worth a visit - it's relatively cheap, albeit it is effectively a shed with some old dusty bikes in it if you're not an enthusiast of course. Saddening to see how many manufacturers, especially around the Midlands, that have expired over the years.

Caister isn't really worth a visit - let's just leave that there

On Monday it was time to pack up and sod off home, but since we had the day to ourselves we decided to take as interesting a route back as we could, having missed out on the weather on the way up on Friday.

I believe this was roughly the route:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Br...d52.909359!3e0

Sensational roads back through Steeple Bumpstead especially in good weather.

We also stopped off at the Muckleburgh museum since it was just next door to our camp site.
    http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

Some pics of the weekend:

Lunch at a nice pub in Suffolk on the way up Friday

Arrived at camp site and got our camp on.

The beach at Weybourne.

Cromer Pier

Norfolk Motorcycle Museum.

Stopped for a pint in a pub opposite a nice church.

Outside the military museum.

Molesting Pigeon is bad mmmkay.

Tanks n shizzle.

Thinking of recreating the weekend on the Enfield at some point this summer

Cheers
    Last edited by arry; 27-05-2017 at 09:22.

Rides
    Homing pigeons were carrying important intelligence information.

One actually flew so fast (60 mph!) it was able to stop the bombing of our own troops that had taken the target.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_(pigeon)

Many others awarded the Dickin medal.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

One did 300 miles in 7 hours, 42 mph, must have been on a real good promise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...eir-wings.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-17138990

As a kid I had a book about Simon the Cat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(cat)

Rides
    So, I stripped the calipers to bare metal, removed all corrosion, cleaned and dried them, masked, primed, undercoated, painted gold and on the 3rd cost of clear lacquer managed to drop one in the bottom of my makeshift spray booth

Borox !

Rides
    Doh!

Still, just means first go round was a practice right? Flat it back and go again.

Rides
    Not sure I have enough paint and it was a special mix. Fingers crossed. Don't want to have to start them all again. I've already fitted and bleed up the rear

Rides
    I managed to get out on mine last weekend, rode over to Demon tweeks to get a new set of tyres. My god what a difference, the bike actually wants to turn in now and doesn't feel like its going to tuck under when leaning. I was running Michelin pilot road, got them with the bike, dated Dec11, I'd put a nice flat spot on the rear and the front had deformed slightly. Made for an interesting ride there but a great ride back. Went for a set of Pirelli Diablos, 190 fitted. Got home, changed the oil and oil filter as well.

Rides
    You still on a fireplace ? If so, I didn't know they made pilots in a 16 in fitment. I tried pilots on my CBR 6 and hated them. I really like Dunlops for my style of riding although the Gsxr has metzeler 7RRs on and they seem pretty good. Will have a better idea when I've had it on track though I guess.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You still on a fireplace ? If so, I didn't know they made pilots in a 16 in fitment. I tried pilots on my CBR 6 and hated them. I really like Dunlops for my style of riding although the Gsxr has metzeler 7RRs on and they seem pretty good. Will have a better idea when I've had it on track though I guess.

I have a 2009 FZ1n, Bought in 2014. Its gone through quite a lot of changes since I have owned it! I love the bike, the only thing I can knock it for is the basic suspension but I am sure I cant even ride it close to its full potential.

Rides
    Oh yes. The wasp. I remember

Rides
    For suspension, have a look at ktech or matris fork cartridge kits and a rear shock from Maxton (based in Helsby) or Nitron. For as little as a grand (ahem), places like MCT can transform the bike.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    For suspension, have a look at ktech or matris fork cartridge kits and a rear shock from Maxton (based in Helsby) or Nitron. For as little as a grand (ahem), places like MCT can transform the bike.

Thanks, Would it be worth it ? I don't ride hard and feel the bike can handle better than I can ride it. I am 230lbs though so always thought the suspension will be for a 140lb jap bloke! I am looking at getting something like a z1000sx so that I can have my lady on the back of it. The Fz1 is more a bike for blasting down the county lanes on my own.

Rides
    Decent suspension makes such a difference. Not just for outright ability, but every day riding.

Rides
    Not worth it if you're going to change​ the bike unless you find someone that wants to buy it and is the same weight. Fast bikes have a test of the z this month against the duc and a KTM and it got its arse kicked.
    For someone of your weight id say it was definitely worth getting the suspension sorted. I'm 165 lbs and having my suspenders sorted made a huge difference to the feedback through the bars and my confidence and surprisingly comfort too

Rides
    Over the weekend, I took a ride over to Hanningfield Reservoir just for the fun of the numbers; first time I've had the opportunity to go for a totally free-run for a long time. Enjoyed it, bimbling along.

And when I got back to the garage, it seems the Enfield has a whole number OCD:

That's not enough miles since owned though, might have to fix that.