Page 98 of 106 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Few exploits on the Enfield over last few days. Decided to meet a friend (such social distancing, much very apart, so non-contaminating) and go down to Beachy Head just for the run out. 150 miles - didn't get any good pics as it was windy AF up there, and also rammed full of people who seemed to forget what 2 metres looks like.

Made 2 schoolboy errors - 1) took my summer mesh jacket without realising the weather had changed a bit; it was 4-5 degrees cooler than it had been and that was enough to provide some pretty stiff nipples and 2) I packed and then inexplicably unpacked my waterproofs and, yeah you guessed it, it pissed down on the way back LOL.

And then today, decided to head off to Mundon with Wifey in tow. Only 70 miles or so but a really nice run through all the little lanes, barely touched a main road.

Wifey doing her best Original Stig impression:

Rides
    I just got my registration documents back from DVLA for the change of address and was checking the details when I noticed that they state a sound level at stationary in decibels.

This is the quoted standard noise level for the vehicle when it comes out of the factory.

On the doc for my car it says 76 dB, for the Honda 86 dB.

Now bearing in mind, decibels are an exponential scale so the difference between 52 and 54 is minute compared to 62 and 64 etc. To give you are further clue, most track day noise tests are 95 decibels and noisy track days are 105 decibels or less...

Guess what they quote as the stationary noise level for my RSV4 ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Guess what they quote as the stationary noise level for my RSV4 ?
    The sound of thunder shagging God's anus?

Rides
    KTM V5 came today....

There's no way it's remotely close to them figures with the Akro's bungs out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides

Noooooo.

Rides
    I'd say 3rd gear over run, the pops and bangs are about the same as a 21g no7.5 through the boom stick

Rides
    U1: stationary (dB(A)) : 109

So no chance of doing a track day with the standard exhaust

Rides
    Fireblade just rode off into the sunset...

First time I've heard the yoshimura exhaust from a distance, it was a dam good sounding bike, will be missed for sure....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Fireblade just rode off into the sunset...

First time I've heard the yoshimura exhaust from a distance, it was a dam good sounding bike, will be missed for sure....

Sad times eh. But onwards and upwards mate. At least you've got something you can use now.

I've been out looking for a replacement but I'm having all sorts of bother. Mostly from not knowing what I want - I know what I don't want, which is an aggressive snatchy or ill mannered bike, and I guess that sort of drives what I do want in that I want something mild mannered and easy going when I want it to be. Problem is I also want it to be a bit of a 'have a rummage down your pants and locate some testicles' sort of bike when I am in the mood. What I'm tending to find is bikes that are always like that, but not mild mannered enough to just get me home when I don't want to ride like a tit.

So far I've had a go on an MV Agusta Brutale 990R - really liked it, but couldn't get on with being perched forward on a seat that wanted to slam you against the tank. Shame, because everything else was alright really. Then yesterday I took this out:

1200S. Might as well call prison and make reservations Loved it when it was up and moving, but it was fiddly and not at all docile at lower speeds. Roundabouts it felt like you had to hustle it in, getting some weight over the front or it'd just push the front on and not want to turn in at all. Could have been the mong that had it before had dialled in the fully adjustable suspension to settings which didn't make sense, but since the fuelling was iffy low down I didn't bother to investigate further.

I'm leaning towards Speed Triple but if I am going there then it'd be an R Model and, the problem with that is.... they're pretty hideous The white / red colour scheme is too garish for me and black has too many blocks of different dark shades against the gold of the Ohlins.

Fussy much? Yeah

In other news I think it should be a good idea for me to fit a heat shield to the Enfield's rorty little exhaust:

Water proof molten exhaust wrap - I'm sure it'll catch on

Rides
    I really enjoyed my little underpowered monster 600....

Especially when you park it next to a suzuki SV, makes the suzi look like one of them cheap Chinese pit bikes of eBay.

But then, it's the only time I've ever seen or heard of the magnets coming off the inside of the starter motor, that was a fun intermittent fault.

A lot of the guys at work rave about the triumph Bonneville range, they say the t120 engine stuff is just that, smooth but oodles of go when you want it.

Supposedly the street twin is a hoot. I liked the street trip when I had a go, but found the legs a bit cramped, a lot like the fireblade.

Rides
    Just over 150 miles today, down into Kent to look at a couple of bikes for sale. One wasn't as described in that it wasn't even the model it said in the advert The other was supposedly immaculate, but it was only that if you believed in washing painted bike tanks with brillo pads - shockingly bad .... Oh well, got me out and about I suppose.

Took in a bit of the North Kent Downs.

Quite a frustrating place to ride - narrow lanes are Enfield Territory really but these were a bit too nadgery and coupled with a bit of heavy traffic, it was a ~15mph average speed snooze fest. I would say the scenery was stunning, but it wasn't really; you either looked down on Sheppey in the distance one side, or the M20 on the horizon behind you, and you couldn't escape the constant hum of traffic from the M2/M20/A249. It also doesn't really have any clear routes 'through' it, so you just end up sketching through little lanes before popping out back into civilisation where you didn't expect it to be. Not recommended.

However, there were some pretty houses / pretty villages / paddocks and the like.

There was also once a castle - the ruins of it are still there now in Thurnham. Never heard of it before. A good little stop off for a break I'd imagine the walking is nice around there.

Had a bit of a grumpy day all round and didn't meet anyone particularly friendly. From a cafe owner shouting at me that they're not open (well, here's an idea, have a sign that says you're closed and don't leave the door open with people milling around inside) to a Harley rider that decided that he desperately needed to overtake me whilst I was at ~60 down a narrow back road, and that the best place to do it was just as I was peeling out right for best visibility around the upcoming left hand bend - a lovely close pass it was and a good job nothing was coming the other way or we'd both have had it. Somewhat annoyed but thought hey, no harm done if he wants to disappear right.... wrong - slowest ****er I've ever followed; aggressive as hell with the throttle then bottled it when he got anywhere near a bend. Got to some twistier bits and I destroyed him.... on an Enfield. FACE-PALM Bloody MC jacket wearer too, you know all the regalia, all the patches, RIDE FUR FREEDUM BRAH.

Rides
    Went to catch up with an old Enfield friend of mine today.

Started out early at Hanningfield Reservoir before setting off for Maldon to meet him, and then over to Abberton Reservoir for a run.

He's sold his Conti GT and bought something else.

Stunning thing. The quality of the finish is outstanding - the red has flecks in it, shines like you wouldn't believe.

Rides
    Is that a CB1100 ?

Rides
    Is that a CB1100 ?
    That's the one mate. It's a lovely bike.

Rides
    Generally thought to be inferior to the CB1300 though. You should test ride one.

Rides
    Generally thought to be inferior to the CB1300 though. You should test ride one.
    Too heavy.

There's inferior and there's better suited to the person. Frank is in his 70's and is a good rider but doesn't want to go blow holes in hedges these days, so a pretty and shiny bike he can ride and polish suits him grand.

Rides
    Did a thing and bought some gadgetry:

Haven't used it yet but early indications are promising. The phone app makes plotting course with waymarkers really easy and with the Beeline doing the visual display the phone screen doesn't get used, so battery life is great on both devices.

Wasn't cheap but I wanted something that was clear and simple, not map based where you'd be staring at it more than the road, and definitely didn't want Siri in my ear all the time. This seems to fit the bill.

Rides
    Used it today. 50 miles or so. Still quite positive but it's not going to be for everyone.

1) It had a bit of a murmor at one point where the nav just had a bit of a fit. I knew the route, so it wasn't really a problem - but out in the field where I didn't, we'd have been doing a U'ey which is frustrating when you have nav. I knew the turning was right - because I was the one that programmed it - and to be fair to the device it knew it was right as well, but said it was a distance away and then the distance froze until I was right on top of the turn.
    2) The 'straight on' bits are somewhat saywut on a lot of occasions. Again, fine when you know the route, but annoying when you don't for sure. The lack of a map screen in front of you takes away the ability to be comfortable you're going in right direction at a glance.

With that said, bar the one blip it performed absolutely fine and it does me for what I wanted it for:
    a) Clear, legible back up to my own sense of direction
    b) No fekin noises in my ear
    c) No obtrusive distractions in eye line
    d) Bag / waterproof pouch and charging cable dickery

If you can accept its limitations and play to its strengths it's a great device and I'd recommend one. If it were £50 cheaper I'd call it a must buy probably. As it stands, a bit expensive but still useful and well made.

Oh, and I tried this position but it didn't work

The speedo function is quite interesting as the Enfield's speedo is all over the place. At 30 it's doing 25, but at 35 it's doing 33 and at 50 it's doing near bang on 50 and 65 it's doing 63 and 75 it's doing 78

Rides
    £50 cheaper !!! I looked at it and thought it looked expensive at £30 lol

What is it and how much did it set you back ?

I actually enjoy looking at a map before I go then following my nose. If I have to stop and look at google maps I feel like I've let myself down

Rides
    £50 cheaper !!! I looked at it and thought it looked expensive at £30 lol

What is it and how much did it set you back ?

I actually enjoy looking at a map before I go then following my nose. If I have to stop and look at google maps I feel like I've let myself down
    It's a Beeline Moto and it's £150. It did seem a lot but the amount of times I'm relying on my mate to do the nav and him getting it all wrong, and wanting something I don't have to dick about with clipping into a waterproof pouch etc, justified it to me.

I enjoy mapping out too but when I want to do specific 'tours' of routes like NW500 I want something to make keeping on the best roads easy, and this should do that