Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Set off - pretty impromptu - to Wales with a mate.

Nice campsite in Brecon, close to the town, but quiet and scenic, right by the river. Fairly eclectic mix of people - elderly walkers, hardcore cyclists, young lads having a weekend of it, but everyone seemed to get on and it was quiet in the evenings.

Elan Valley:

Greedy fat pig by the seaside in Aberystwyth:

Lots of stunning views and reservoirs and coastal landscapes:

Set out in drizzle from Essex, but that cleared up by the time I got past Reading ish. The first night in Brecon we headed out to the Brecon Tap for some local real ales and then onwards for some Thai food; the heavens opened at that point and there were quite a few showers, and when we woke on our first morning in Wales it looked as if it was going to be a typically Welsh day..... ie....grim. The path of the righteous men was beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil drizzle. But the weather forecast for further north promising and as a result, we persevered through and were rewarded by glorious sunshine just as we got to Aberystwyth - and even more sunshine as we headed towards Llandudno. A long day's riding, 327 Welsh miles, rinsed it proper

On day two we awoke to cold weather, and I do mean cold - I was contemplating wearing absolutely everything I had to keep warm. But by the time we set off and headed north again, the temperature came up and the roads were dry and fun. Headed to West End Cafe in Llandovery for breakfast which was winning :up: and then set off to Devil's bridge via Lampeter and Tregaron - we had that section of road pretty much to ourselves and we made quick use of it. Then onwards from Devil's bridge to Bala where and around a loop to the north of the lake, before heading back to Brecon to complete 260 miles round trip.

In the evening we went back for a second bite of Chang's special sauce I ate a metric shittonne of food whilst my mate stuck to his customary one dish wonder chow mein

Set off to blast home via the M4 as the weather was grim. Deconstructed camp in the drizzle, all wet and soggy, and rode out some very wet Welsh roads onto the A40 to pick up the motorway. At points the spray was so bad, and my pinlock had failed so completely, that I could barely see a thing - but my water proofs were not holding up so well and I just wanted to get home so I kept it pinned in the fast lane and went for it. A proper slog of 225 miles, but the juice of the long weekend was well and truly worth the squeeze

Rides
    Year anniversary of having the big ol' Kraut boxer

Slogged my way to Peterborough - Peatboghorror - to see the mural to ol' Keef.

Essex lanes the familiar enough routes through to Finchingfield, Steeple Bumpstead and Haverhill then just ran the hell out of good roads :roll: Riding in Cambridge is, umm, pretty dull. Everything was bone straight and bumpier than a lunar expedition. Still, got there, and managed to get my gimpy half disabled body to push the 230kg Big German Frau through the underpass to take a few pics. Frankly, I was battered by then so if you don't like the pics, I don't care I'm not ever doing it again to take more

I won't lie, I ended up with a blat down the A1/A14/M11 on the way back, coming back into Essex top side of Saffron Walden before making my way down to North Weald for something to eat.

Ended up at the Revetment - and I must say, many tasty, much good service, would definitely recommend Loaded up on carb-city Mac N Cheese and a side of chips. Ooof.

Right opposite was something well worth looking at:

And the obligatory shot on the way out.

250 miles. Not all smiles, but pretty decent way to waste a Sunday
    Last edited by arry; 11-07-2021 at 16:44.

Rides
    This is probably not allowed, but let's face it, I think it's better to breathe some life into the forum than have a rule.

My friend is selling is 2011 CBR600-RR with 19k on the clock for £4,750. I wondered if it might interest anyone here or, if people would not mind doing a favour, if you could fire it to anyone you think might want it.

He's a hard worker and him and his Mrs. are saving for a house, so kudos to him for giving his baby up.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0937445815948/

Rides
    There are three types of people in this world...

People who ride bikes.
    People who never rode a bike.
    People who are sad. These people used to be in the first category but gave it up because "wifey".

Rides
    Haha, I'm told it was his choice. But then again, that's from her mouth...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    There are three types of people in this world...

People who ride bikes.
    People who never rode a bike.
    People who are sad. These people used to be in the first category but gave it up because "wifey".

I did a whoopsie

Apparently my rear tyre was toast It really didn't look that bad. When I picked the bike up and spotted the new rubber, the difference was quite obvious

Rides
    Same as me with the ktm

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    My latest offering, went to Pembrey for the second time, rode the bandit in the morning and blade in the afternoon! Slight improvement on my first time there. Any comments welcome

Rides
    From the cam behind you, you can see that you are shifting your bum off the seat but not your upper body. You point this out a couple of times in the commentary. I don't think you'll just be able to will yourself to lean your upper body. What you could try is to change where you look from. By that, I mean aim to look over the right handlebar towards where you want the bike to go rather than over the screen (left bar for left handers obvs ) It will feel weird at first to have your upper body alongside rather than on the tank and your right hand will be in front of your left tit but you'll get used to it.

You are also struggling with confidence in the corners where you fell off so braking mega-early. From what I saw, the problem was exceeding the grip limits by leaning the bike too far (and not leaning off enough) rather than going too fast. This is where braking markers become important. After the first early braking session, you could have tried to pick a marker on the track that would give you a much later point to start braking then hang off the brakes/shutting the throttle for longer and longer until you aren't backing off until the braking marker.

Don't know if this helps.

Rides
    Hey Jonny, ye I struggled to find a decent marker for that first corner compared to Llandow where they had the marker boards, there I was braking hard enough to get the rear end feeling light but I think the crash was in the back of my mind at Pembrey so definitely wasn't as hard on the brakes, it was kinda 'I'm near the end of the pits now I should brake' lol. The body position thing is weird, when I'm riding I feel I'm off but as you say clearly I'm not so ye somehow maybe as you say I need to force myself to move across with where I look. Thanks for the tips

Rides
    First sunny day..... bloody cold tho.

Decided rack a 100 miles up and go for a coffee over the border in Cheshire.

Stopped off at the little farm shop round the corner for a drink and had a cracking ride along the A roads, plenty of open space and fast sweeping bends on the way there and back.

Also first time using heated grips, revelation

Rides
    Oh mate

Glad you're enjoying the beast. Yeah, those heated grips are toasty int they.

Rides
    Looking good for the weekend..... hope to get a ride in Sunday..... and added possibly my most questionable mod ever.....

Rides
    Haha, awesome!

Rides
    Didn't realise you can't actually assign it until the cert comes in the post..... doh!

Might have swap back for the weekend tho if it doesn't arrive.... unless anyone knows how you transfer from your retention on the dvla personal plates site? I can only see the option for a duplicate cert to be delivered

Rides
    All registered...... bastards at bennetts charged over a third of the policy total to change the plate tho,

Anyhow, good excuse get it out - strapped the bag on and went for bbq supplies... can't wait see what state the meats in when I get back.

Rides
    Nice work chap

Rides
    So I can (just about) live with the idea that a 5.0 V8 that I do 3K miles a year in can cost £630 to tax vs a 2.0 diesel estate that I do 25k miles in costs £30 but how the very **** do they justify charging over 100 quid to tax a bike that rarely covers 2K in a year

As I have 3 bikes, that's 10 times for the bikes what I pay for the polutey diseasal !

I've just had to shell out over £200 on new batteries for the bikes as they've all decided to give up this year.

Rides
    It's totes jokes but in a lot of ways, careful what we wish for I guess. As Damo will know, it's not like litre bikes are particularly fuel efficient or polar bear friendly. My BM does more oil in a season than any of my cars do

Rides
    Enfield just went straight through its ticket again. Only did 1200 miles on her last year. I have a trip to Norfolk and a trip to Cotswolds coming up so should be able to stick some decent miles under the belt with those two.

I don't think the BMW has moved since.... August last year?!