Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2110

Thread: I want to get a bike license

Rides
    Enfield through its ticket today no bother

~50 miles done for the year and 1750 dead between MOT's which ain't a bad showing for a second bike. If I can double that this year with everything going on I'll be over the moon.

Rides
    Was fitting Bar End Mirrors because I've somehow not resisted the urge to tinker with the R NineT despite saying I wouldn't mess with it at all. Got a set cheapish that were good quality so decided to go with it.

I'd always noticed that my brake / clutch lever were quite aggressively sloped down towards the ground - you can see it in this pic here:

Made it a bit of a cripple hook to get over the bars to reach the levers and, frankly, the clutch was ridiculously awkward to operate in slow speed situations. Didn't think much of it when I bought the bike but later I realised that the bars had been put back on.....a bit.....well.....off

You can see the crosshair there is supposed to mark the centre line and line up with the clamp. It's well off to the right and the bars had been rotated around in the clamp to quite an extent that they were off on that plane too.

What's worse is when looking to undo the bolts I noticed the Torx in the top of the clamp and the Hex heads in the bottom holes. I know that the previous owner had Rizoma bars on it and I'd also guess there were risers involved, and the original bolts got swapped out for these Hex ones. Decided on the grounds that I didn't know the bolts' provenance, and that new ones from BMW were a few quid, I'd just change them back for originals.

Probably needn't have bothered:

And then all back together with the new bolts, lined up proper and feeling happy:

Slightly worrying from a mechanical ineptitude point of view is that not only did previous owner manage to skew the bars off like that, they'd also confused the M8's in the lower section with the M10's in the upper. The torque settings are quite different - 19nm for the M8's and 38nm for the M10's. Well it's fair to say the M10's came undone a lot easier than the M8's did Also, no sign of any thread lock despite the M10's requiring it as per the book.

Never mind, done now, and bar ends fitted nicely - although god knows what happened to my T50!

That did NOT happen on this job! Halfords Advanced as well, not anything cheap n 'orrible.

Rides
    Got the SMT out today, dam it felt good!

Didn't dare stop for a picture tho, as even tho it's been attached to a battery optimiser the whole time, I had to jump start it off the touareg.

New battery ordered, ready for a good summer hopefully

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I want a bike. I have room in the garage next to Olive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Do it, best £500 I've ever spent was my direct access.

Rides
    You know about starting KTMs, right ?

The starter motors and wiring are underspeced for the compression so you have to give it little bursts on the starter button then wait 2-3 seconds before repeating if it doesn't catch.

Holding the button will cause it to drain the battery, overheat the wiring and kill the starter motor.

Way to go, KTM

Rides
    That would be the normal way.... but this time it just did 1 click noise and lights went out....

Battery totally bolloxed, jump leads to the motor and kicked in first press, no mither.

Hopefully be sorted today ordered a "motobatt" off ebay, get good reviews and only a tenner more than some chineese no brand

Rides
    Dig through the paperwork mate I'm sure that battery is still under guarantee.

Rides
    Motobatt get very mixed reviews on the forums I follow.

I always go with Yuasa as they last 10-12 years on my bikes (I don't change bikes very often) and they are supplier to lots of manufacturers. YTZ14-S can be had for about £75. I've got the same one fitted to my CB1300S which raises another interesting point. People have had the batteries fail due to fitting another battery that couldn't handle being tipped over by 40 degrees. Does the KTM battery sit at an angle ?

Rides
    Does it not have an automatic decompressor?

Rides
    Nope, LC4's do, LC8's don't.

Rides
    Just stick a lithium one on it ;-) weighs fook all :-D Sadly the same can't be said of the rider :-(
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Just stick a lithium one on it ;-) weighs fook all :-D Sadly the same can't be said of the rider :-(
    I doubt a lithium one would have the cranking amps to turn over the KTM.

Rides
    I've been fancying a new bike for Spring and I think I've found just the thing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-ROYA...25ecd84b476769

Rides
    If you even bid on that, I'll never speak to you again

Rides
    I love the ballsack massager at the back of the tank - great for promoting blood flow in an accident.

Rides

Just couldn't resist today. Supposed to be working. Got loads on. Threw in the towel over lunchtime and disappeared out for ~90 mins to get some fresh air.

It wasn't my most flowing ride. Interestingly, actually, because when I got on the Enfield on Monday night I felt instantly at home. But I put that down to the fact I've now moved the bars to where they should be, rather than cripple hooking downwards for the brake and clutch levers as the bars had been rotated forward heavily. A bit of re-learning to do.

Still, was lovely to get out. ~30 miles to open the account for the year on the biggun.

Rides
    You would also have been moving at a much slower pace on the RE

I managed 80 miles on Tuesday on the CB which left blow away the cobwebs. First ride out after the winter off always requires a little gentle tuning in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You would also have been moving at a much slower pace on the RE
    You got that right

Little run out today to Brightlingsea via the wiggly roads north of Maldon:

Fair to say it was a cold one, but worth doing. My new cheap ass Chinese heated vest paid dividends. £18 well spent. Also remembered the heated grips this time

Not my most flowingest ride ever but still a decent average speed across the 125 ish miles total.

Rides
    I wondered why the price of crude shot up this morning. They must have heard you were getting the Bimmer out