Thread: S13 running CA with T28 SR screamer + SR downpipe?

Rides

S13 running CA with T28 SR screamer + SR downpipe?

Has anyone ever done this setup?

I have a T28 from as S14 on my CA, just got an SR screamer pipe but wondered if an SR downpipe would bolt straight into my japspeed centre section so i dont need to cut and weld anything?

Any help would be much appreciated and save me alot of aggro...
    Thanks

Rides
    Morning bump???

Someone must have tried this

Rides
    SR20 elbow and downpipe wont work on a CA18 in an s13 without cutting/welding!

Rides
    I believe people have lined the two up and made grooves in the downpipe where the elbow studs are I will try and find a pic as I saw one earlier on here

Last edited by djdobson; 08-04-2013 at 22:50.

Rides
    Ahhh i see, oh well cut and weld it is. Thank you guys

Rides
    Presumably this is an elbow with screamer pipe? Bin it I'm afraid - it won't seal properly, and will make your car sound shit. Screamers should only be used on a proper wastegate

Rides
    it is yes.. i have a choice of 2 at the moment.. i have a dual chambered elbow (wastgate is a seperate pipe that then connects back into the bottom of the elbow) or an elbow with screamer pipe. at the moment i have a stock SR elbow which is crap so need to change it for a stainless one but the lugs on the elbow and downpipe sit very differently so will have to cut and reweld them

Rides
    Why's the standard elbow crap?

Rides
    it bends too close to the exhaust housing so i cant get a nut on the centre stud to secure it, one stud is snapped so im running it with just 1 nut on a stud and 2 bolts.... would much rather put the stainless on as it looks like it has more clearance and get the elbow bolted on tighter. I know S13's are renowned for bolts coming loose but its annoying me

Rides
    Get the proper locking nuts for the studs off the likes of Conceptua Tuning and some of the locking tabs for the manifold>turbo nuts too. It'll save you a lot of heartache and they aren't dear to buy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh88 View Post
    it bends too close to the exhaust housing so i cant get a nut on the centre stud to secure it, one stud is snapped so im running it with just 1 nut on a stud and 2 bolts.... would much rather put the stainless on as it looks like it has more clearance and get the elbow bolted on tighter. I know S13's are renowned for bolts coming loose but its annoying me
    Sounds like you're trying to fit the elbow to the turbo with the turbo / manifold still attached to the car. You'd be much better off a) junking the divorced chamber elbows (they're not great TBH), b) taking the whole lot off and starting again, getting your braided lines, new gaskets, locking nuts and tabs and putting it all back together properly.

Sorry, not the advice I know you're after, but it is the best in the long run.

Rides
    Ive already had it off and it will be coming back off soon anyway as im fitting a new head with the exhaust cam to inlet side upgrade i hope...

i have MLS gaskets going from block to mani, mani to turbo and turbo to elbow. no matter how tight i get the nuts/bolts they still come loose!!

Oh and the turbo has braided lines already (running a T28)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    SR20 elbow and downpipe wont work on a CA18 in an s13 without cutting/welding!
    This is wrong, you can't mix and match CA and SR elbows and downpipes, but if you use an SR elbow and downpipe (and a decat) then you'll be fine. Done it, it works.

The only time you have to do the redrilling shown above is when you're trying to mix CA and SR parts, that 3-bolt flange is at different angles on the two types so it doesn't work.

Edit: Here's the thread I posted when we tried it, nobody seemed interested at the time http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...nt-pipe-on-S13
    Last edited by playworker; 09-04-2013 at 18:22.

Rides
    Superb! Yea i guessed it would have to be both SR parts but wasnt sure if the end of the downpipe would mate up to the 2bolt flange on the S13 japseed middle section. I shall be ordering the S14 downpipe as soon as poss thanks