Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which VW Passat equivalent?

Rides

Which VW Passat equivalent?

Right, have had various threads about which car to get over the last 18 months, but now it finally has to happen. Bought the 306 to last 6 months whilst I changed jobs, and tax is up end of April - I'm not paying £240 to tax it, it's falling apart. I have strict wants, and it's moon-on-a-stick as ever, so I can only find a couple of cars that half-fit it, but I just must be missing something, I know it, so open to suggestions

Basic criteria

£6k (£6500 absolute max)
    Probably trade not private
    2007/8 onwards, diesel, nippy.

Then the fussy bit:

80-90kish miles or less ideally, FSH
    Not french, or Vauxhall
    Tax band G or less (ideally F, £135)
    As close to 50mpg as possible
    Pokey enough (140hp min, 230ftlb min?)
    Cruise control, ideally heated seats etc - ie a good place to be!
    Doesn't need to be sporty - don't want massive great 18" wheels with expensive tyres, or a crashy ride (ie no M Sport!)
    Aiming to last 5 years with minimal hassle

Of course in an ideal world I'd have an E90 320d or Audi a3 Highline 170hp, but at that price they are mostly older, rougher, lots of mileage etc. So my attention moved towards VW, and the 170hp SEL Passat. Well kitted, half leather, cruise, £170 tax, etc. The Audi A4 of a similar age isn't as well specced but a possibility. I know some of you will say get a 10 year old BMW because they are awesome and age is irrelevant. And I hear you, but they DO have their pitfalls at that age (rusty archs, poor stereo, bushes, just to name a few), I want something as new as possible that I shouldn't have to do any proper major work like re-bushing to in the next 4 or 5 years.

The sort of Passat I'm considering:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-VOLKS...item257c2d09e3
    Downsides: heavy! DPF.

Is there anything else that fits the bill similar to the Passat? Mazda 6 maybe?

Also, I promise this will be the last thread on the matter for 5 years maybe.

Rides
    The Mazda 6 is a serious contender (anyone had any experience?) Lot of 4 year old car for the money IMO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-MAZDA...item5d3b6f0e9e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-6-TS...item4171f8e271

Rides
    I have a pass 1.9tdi pd130 very nippy, beat my standard 200sx on the way home to 130mph then the nissan pulled, im thinking its mapped tbh, standard a pd130 5 speed with a good mapped will make 180bho and 300 lbpf of the good stuff, damn expensive to fix but, clutch is 800 from a garage supplied and fitted, i also got a sumo and mount and that was 450.

Rides
    I probably should have mentioned it will remain 100% standard I did drive an older 1.9 130, and it felt a solid car, turned one down for my old Xsara a few years back

Rides
    Don't the Mazda diesels suffer with fuel getting into the oil?

Rides
    Yeah my car was apparently standard with a kandn filter, bull dhit, had an egr delee and has been mapped but gets great mpg for an estate 50mpg on a run and around the doors its 500ish to a tank which cost mr 80 quid to fill.

Rides
    Saab 9-3 Ttid.
    180bhp, 55mpg average.
    If not the Ttid you will get a tid available in 110 or 150bhp. 8v or 16v

Rides
    The Mazda 6 is really unreliable and that reflects in it's price. The problem with the Saab is they use the Fiat diesel until the same as the Vauxhall which aren't the best.

I'm guessing you won't get a Seat Exeo for that money. What about a Skoda Octavia? The do a Lauren and Klement model which has all the toys in it. Or there is the VRS diesel but I think you'd have to search hard for one with heated seats.

Rides
    Skoda or passat. Nothing else stacks up. Ive been looking myself.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    Skoda or passat. Nothing else stacks up. Ive been looking myself.
    I would agree - a mate has a 12 plate Passat as a daily and loves it. He had the previous shape beforehand.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    Don't the Mazda diesels suffer with fuel getting into the oil?
    All diesels do and so do newer petrols. Side affect of direct injection.

The fuel pumps are a common failure point on them, amongst many other things. The Japanese just cannot design diesels for some reason. Toyota will be using BMW diesels in future as a result in exchange for their hybrid tech...

Buy a VAG product. As much as it pains me to say that given my immense and undying hatred for VW and the shit they churn out.

Rides
    Id recommend a Passat, my old man has a 2007 2.0tdi sport 170hp. I got insured on it for 2 weeks just before I bought my current 200 and I loved it! Good compromise of comfy yet firm suspension, great seats/interior for the car, very nippy, very economical on a run in 6th gear down the motorway To be honest, driving it I didnt really notice the weight of the car as much as I thought it would have. Only downside the old man has said about is the headlights are shocking with the projectors, I fitted him some Osram Nightbreaker Plus' in as a thank you for borrowing the car but he said it has made minimal difference. I didnt find it that difficult to see at night, compared to 200's, but just the only thing he doesnt like about the car. Also they seem to suffer an injector issue from an apparent design flaw, had 2 go at once on his way to work and the engine management system just shut the car down on a motorway not to sure on how true it is that its a design flaw, that was a word of an AA man that came out to recover the car but that was what the problem was

Rides
    i have got an 05 b6 passat 2.0l tdi 140 sport i really like its a nice place to sit could be slightly more kitted but mine is the first version 08 onwards would have facelift extra kit id imagine

motorway i get around 50mpg town 42mpg my trip shows average of 44mpg thats town and motoerway combined. my mate has a 1 series bmw and my passat is much nicer inside.

id defo recomend one really nice cars to drive

Rides
    Excellent feedback so far chaps, thanks

Didn't consider newer Octavia, will have a look at them tomorrow. My mate has a W plate one and I don't think it's particularly wonderful, but I guess the newer ones should be better.

Read a few things about the Mazda6 being a bit rubbish, which is a shame, but liking the positives about the Passat. Going to give the local dealer a buzz and see if they're likely to get one in around my price range. But I'm suspecting a trip up country will be the answer, sod all in Cornwall, and what is here is expensive!

Rides
    I have a mk4 Golf GT Tdi 130 bhp which is 11 years old now and has almost 150k on the clock. Hasn't missed a beat and is solid. Also have an Audi A4 Avant S-line which is just as solid. I haven't had a problem with any VAG cars, and I have had a few over the years.

I prefer the older ones now though, as pretty much all of the new ones have electric handbrakes. They are a nightmare if they go wrong.

Rides
    Not to mention the catastrophic VAG 2.0 tdi oil pump failure.

Newer cars are a headache snapped rear springs, stupid electric handbrake.

My recommendation is a B5.5 Passat 1.9 tdi 130 Highline, save some £.

Rides
    I would rather driver an older higher mileage BM than a Passat/Mondeo/Vectra/Generic run of the mill car

6k will get you a very nice 320d or even a 520d
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    Saab 9-3 Ttid.
    180bhp, 55mpg average.
    If not the Ttid you will get a tid available in 110 or 150bhp. 8v or 16v
    saab doesn't do 55 mpg my missus has one and no matter the conditions / road trips can't get it above 46 mpg we have the 150Bhp model

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    The Mazda 6 is a serious contender (anyone had any experience?) Lot of 4 year old car for the money IMO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-MAZDA...item5d3b6f0e9e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-6-TS...item4171f8e271

Mazda's are good cars. Make sure you get it undersealed as they rust like s13