Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan PS13.4a - No Bodge Job here

Rides

Nissan PS13.4a - No Bodge Job here

Not had a chance to post in here, but recently i did a hot wing challenge, and a few of you guys thought it fit to pay for the membership. So thank you very much! il post in the members section when i can find it lol.

For now il just copy and paste my build from over on Driftworks for anyone who hasnt seen it and thinks this conversion is a piece of piss..

Having crashed the PS13 back in March and not being able to source a decent PS13 front end quickly enough i decided to put a s14a front end on.

after a lot of ppeople saying it was just a bolt on job i thought why not.

they really couldnt be further from the truth.

its bolt on, if you dont mind a 3inch gap behind the wing, different heights for the bonnet/wings wonky headlights, dodgy brackets etc.

so i decided to get it done properly, as there are not many really done properly, only really one in aus land with the gaps that dont look shoddy.

so here goes.........

Not much filler required on the wings after butuchery.

wing butcherey - the entire length of the top of the wing had to be cut and shortnered, as it wouldnt line up with the door.

Sheet metal folded to raise the height of the wing.

50mm Rear origin takadasi rear fender, stuck and screwed on, screw ends grinded off, fibre glass then filler.

Interior stripped and cleaned/all sound deadning gone - this is painful work.

i just noticed im so bad at masking as well!

Rear of the car for no reason?? other than noticing the mess some ppl work in!

Wing lined up with door and bonnet, this sat so wrong before too high up and too far out.

wing lined up with front of bonnet, again this didnt line up at all before it was far too low. the filler on the top was to cover where the wing had been made thinner.

Rides
    on the day i got it in the country my mate decided to lamp a kerb.....

few months before my crash early this year

Rides
    Genuine Supermade rear bumper being fitted

original petrol flap being fitted as the origin stick ontop cap looks so poor

guy had to bring the petrol flap out about an inch to line up with the qtr

i swear my doors were straight before ?!?!?

someones using filler for the hell of it lol

headlights lined up with the bonnet and bumper bar perfectly.

Finally the car is in primer.

S14a front bumper smoothed and made flush, also SRB power splitter being attached

cant quite figure out if i should do the DMax rear spoiler or not?

got some black ROTA GTR-Ds going on when its finished 10x18 and 18x12 ET0 at the rear

Rides
    not really got much further, trying to find a side skirt as i just cant repair the existing but try finding an original chuki (not kouki) side skirt for a ps13, off to nissan with some diagrams as they cant find it either.

however after ordering 200sx balljoints from america, i went to fit them and found a 200sx in america is FWD so great, 80quid wasted.

in the end i just purchased front and rear fully adjustable lower control arms, which are ebay specials and appear difficult to fit, not like proper parts.

Finally got round to fitting the rear LCA's + traction arms - what a bitch. the rosejoint bushes were at least 5mm out each side, only solution other than return to america was to grind them down. so thats what i did.

they now fit fine 2bh, the anti roll bar now fits better too. and i can fine tune my track rather than buy spacers.

so for £200 delivered for 4x lower control arms + traction arms, i am pretty happy.

fitted twin electric fans + relay

upgraded water pipes and jubillee clips

fitted 4x xenon 55w slimline balasts

fitted rocker arm stoppers and changed the rocker gasket while i was at it.

can anyone confirm if the rocker stoppers are fitted correctly?? and what is the small little bar that comes with them?

got a bit of work to do on the SRB power lip for the 14a front bumper, but its coming on, slowly.

Rides
    Finally got it moved on a stage, its in the oven being sprayed.

Inside got Done today, loads of etch primer, then the black paint, along with the first coat on the outside.

Black on the outside will be flatted with 2000 paper and the final coat applied tomorrow.

Rides
    Just a few quick shots, already dusty ffs.

Screens in tomorrow, fitting up in the evening, trailer-ed away Monday.

Some mates put more of it together for me on saturday and sent me some pics. They couldnt figure out how the bonnet sat on the hinges, so il sort that out Monday, just needs moving back on the hinge, easy peasey to line up perfect.

The wings line up perfectly with the doors, which is the biggest issue on this conversion.

Just need to add the SRB power type 1 lip to the front bumper, mount the bumper bar and heads and grille and its good to go on the trailer.

All the black trims were sprayed, so they look nice and fresh.

Ordering some modified knuckles from Polo to resolve my silly wheel alignment issues.

Rides
    Not planning on making copies, but its probs a good idea.

Anyway, got round to fitting up the front end to see how it lined up, for some reason it was quite difficult.

managed to do it with a bit of bashing and tweaking here and there on the front panel bits.

However, after lining it all up someone noticed some issues on the wing/bumper/bonnet

so bonnet being resprayed, a few storage bends/kinks on the bumper being taken out and the wing needed a bit of work and then resprayed.

This will delay taking home till thursday.

The front was sprayed again today, some of the tiny bits on the bumper im not going to be able to get rid unless i start again, so im gonna have to leave it for now.

just a couple pics of the rear that i took a few days ago on one of the midnight runs.

had to drop the exhaust a bit so it doesnt touch the bumper.

Rides
    Got round to fitting a fit bits today.

Skirts not yet stuck on, bumper only placed at the moment till i sort the front suspension.

rain stopped play today though.

Got a bit further yesterday.

Fitted 2 missile switches for rear fog + twin ran fans.
    Fitted shelf to stop the boot sounding too loud with carpet + sub.
    Stuck the kit on properly.
    Got some pictures of the signatures of the famous jap guys who signed the seats from Option

Gotta figure out how to fit the R34 rear carbon diffuser too.

then got too dark to continue.

Move bitch get out the way lights

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3938/hhv.mp4

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/515/hhv.mp4/

cant figure out how to embed.

Rides
    1 front Coilover appears to be seized, couldnt get it lowered at all.

didnt even get round to adjusting rears, spent too long trying to undoo previous

Fitted a Fog at the rear and changed the number plate lights.

got the front bumper and splitter fitted properly flush with intercooler

ran all speaker cables/RCA cables etc.

Also painted the brakes

1 - 2 pictures for update (whoops)

big thanks again to Sc4mpi in his red PS (big stu)

No scanner Clive, if your desperate i can take a pic and send it to you?

and just to show you guys how well it lines up and to show its a must changing the front panel to a s14a one.

and of course to show random pictures as im trying to get an agreed value with flux.

Rides
    Alright finally got around to fitting my rear number plate lights, need to cover the leds from the back somehow before it looks like a ****ing neon.

fitted the stereo and volt meter.

and attempting to unseize a couple coilovers in coke!

lets see how it turns out tomorrow morning

the coke didnt work.

well not on the one that was totally seized.

what worked was garage D and walton/julian for an hour unseizing it. big thanks to them for taking the time on short notice to do it.

did it too low at first, but was too late to do it again, so sorted it this morning. think its about right but what yal think?

big thanks to stu again for coming up and helping.

Rides
    After visiting bob i took a few pics on the way home with my new phone.

doesnt show on the camera but the the paint sparkles

also on the drive have realized the back is probably a little low so i raised it by 9mm

(road tax today whoop)

Big thanks to Mcbob for getting me quite a few niggly bits that i was missing.

Fitted the bumper indicators, bonnet washers, and the amp for the sub. also fitted some awesome boot lights but didnt get a chance to take a pic.

i think i have also found the issue with this ****ing annoying clunking - http://www.driftworks.com/forum/niss...-required.html

My daughter also went for a drive.

Car all fixed up, road worthy, tracked up, night out yesterday to get a feel for her again.

I must say i am impressed with the Neuton NT5000 tyres i am using on the front, quality tyre for the price 2bh.

tracking before and after - more pics to come when they are sent to me lol.

Rides
    Re number plate, i bought 2x LED strips from japan at 2.50 delivered. just crimped onto the original wires and stuck it to the bumper. i need to find something so it blocks the light from the rear but shines down on the plate.

At the tracking place

getting the car flat, polished and glazed.

finding a comfy position too wire up the amp and neaten the cables in the boot.

out that night just testing the car out with my mates GTR and a real 14a lol the GTR is mahoosive compared to these, what impressed me most about the GTR was the brakes, just absolutely astonishing.

Another day of working on the car.

Fixed the fact i had no dash lights, so replaced with LED dashlights, i wish i had got green to match my greddys but this will do for now.

The hardlines i installed for the hydro were leaking, so new hardline from hydro to BMC installed.

my brakes now feel shit, they were not bled properly at all, i have to push the brakes 3-4times to start to get response, not great really. the hydro i can fully lift and nothing happens.

this is a priority sort next time im dealing with the car.

Fitted LED sidelights also.

I spent a good hour straightening the fins on my intercooler lol

My horn works with a mates steering wheel but constantly, with mine doesnt work at all - weird.

got my washers wired up properly along with the washer bottle - those cheap ebay bottle motors are proper fricken rubbish. i had to blow into the bottle to get the thing started LOL

And i never quite understood the fascination until now - IVE GOT BEADS

These rear tyres are also fully awesome. so much grip and predictability even in this rain, awesome.

265/35/18 Advan Sports - awesome.

alright well i promise i'll get to a drift day soon and get some proper pics, cash permitting in the next couple months (self employed gets expensive taking a day off)

In the mean time as the sun was out, i got it cleaned (5er from the local polish guys)

didn't realize how much sparkle was in the paint till the sun hits really.

also didn't really get any good pics of wheel fitment until now.

I cant decide what to do with my wheels, should i change the colour? get the dish/lip polished? im just not feeling them at all.

the car gets so much grip with these tyres in the heat, even just starting a drift is instant smoke, i wont even think about using crap tyres on the rear of this anymore, just save for decent ones.

ive also got some weird wiring issues.

With Ignition on but lights off, my washerbottle constantly stays pumping.

When i flash my main beam, my RH indicator comes on.

My wipers dont work on setting 1 (variable speed) ive changed the stalk, ive got a spare motor that i plugged in, and neither worked. This also means the wipers dont return to stock position, so i have to fiddle until they do.

weird or what?

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Shot at 2012-05-27

Rides
    Small update. and as your bored of updates and no drifting, ive got skid wheels and will be at pod on the 15th Aug. (funds finally for that shit)

17inch Skid wheels for 100quid with tyres (4mm 215/45 T1rs and 7mm 235/40 unbranded)

Greddy boost gauge didnt come with bulb holders or owt, so ordered some 10mm green leds, trouble is i need to diffuse the light coming into the gauge somehow, and stop the light coming out the back of the gauge LOL

So i got the new number plate light wired up properly. Total Cost 3.49 GBP. The only reason its not lighting the plate properly is because the plate leans forward at the top, gonna sort that out next week with some plastic carpenters wedges.

Now, as im not having a spoiler and id like some sort of downforce/aero, do these things work under the car?

ive got one at the front (a massive ali sump gaurd anyway)
    i plan on getting a big sheet of ali and making a custom undertray to the rear
    and plan on running this at the rear (still gotta make the middle fit as its a carbon one from a R34 GTR

After a bit of abuse the other day i felt some juddering in my brakes. checked a few days later same thing, looked at my discs and i have heat spots i think? pads are low, so ordering some new ones before pod, but have i ****ed my disc?

And the best update - picked my first home grown produce.

So i finally got to my first DWYB on weds 15th Aug with the new Carbone Lorraine brakes fitted. (which are totally awesome)

It was a good test to see how the car would hold up as its not really been used much since being completed.

the following problems became apparent.

I quickly found out my battery wasn't secure enough - battery acid in the boot, lovely, back to the pits to sort out.

I thought i would be a hero and drift on my super soft advan sports 265/35/18 straight on top track. i also quickly found out that i was getting far too much grip and picking up far too much speed in a short space of time, this was causing me to go a little too fast for my skill level on the large track. On go the 235/40/17's and alls a goodun.

I quickly melted a cheap relay i used for my twin rad fans. so i had to bodge something up to continue, as on my 2nd n 3rd run i realized my temps were creeping up as i had no fans running at all.

Some of you may noticed i conked out at the top of the large bend, my 25A ignition fuse blew, a cable rubbed in my engine bay and shorted out stalling the car mid bend. got it temp fixed, back to the pits, wire up a temp 25A fuse with some crimps so i could continue.

My washer bottle came loose in my engine bay (again cheap 10quid ebay POS) so i had to remove this and il get it installed later.

The last problem which ive got to look into was during a left hand bend (wheels pointing to the right) my drivers side front wheel bites into something really slowing my front wheels quite quickly causing (at least contributing) to the spins. most of my many spins were on a left hand bend.

overall i couldn't actually fault the car for drifting, it handled fine, more than enough power for that track, lock is enough more than enough grip, i just need more practice to make the most of the car really.

Not gonna be driving it till ive sorted all the wiring and my RH wheel rubbing issue

Even tho it was majorly busy and i got hardly any seat time, i still had a good time overall and was a pleasant experience, no-one blocked the ways in and out so i never really got frustrated.

Most of all i wanna get back and get some more practice in now ive realized all of the above.

Rides
    Alright so after deciding to sell/break the car, i priced it all up, put it up for sale, got it out to take some bits off and the mrs said why are you selling it if you dont want to?

so instead of selling it to get a nice daily i got a reasonable daily to replace my old thing so im a little happier.

The sun was out so i cleaned it, noticed how much sparkle is in the seats + paint.

We started at 3pm (not exactly leaving loads of time)

The jobs were,

Fit new rad fans from primera P12 (recommended by sc4mpi & clive)
    Fix wipers which were just not working on setting one
    Fix L/H sidelight which i quickly bodged up to work
    Fix Horn which was not working
    Fix R/H bumper indicator which was not working
    Clean up wires which were just messy

Sparkly

Shot at 2012-09-16

It got dark very quick so had to take drastic measures with an old 5ft Fluorescent.

Shot at 2012-09-16

It got darker still, so more measures were taken.

Shot at 2012-09-16

after fixing some stuff on the LH side a wire just pulled out the loom, upon opening it up a little exposed this

Shot at 2012-09-16

Some **** has drilled through my wires. (possibly me )

Things started looking complicated

Shot at 2012-09-16

i have a load of wires on the L/H side which are just open ends, (since ive had the car) i cut these back as far as needed at the moment and il try to remove from fusebox next time. i presume for ABS/Auto gbox?

We got the sidelight working/the horn working/the indicator working then moved onto the wipers. i changed 3 items to fix this (motor/relay/stalk) didnt make a difference, took the plug out the relay and wiggled it, all the wires just crumbled to bits (this was at 11:50pm)

so made up the plug from scratch

Shot at 2012-09-16

So even tho the cars still got wires everywhere, its all fixed and ready to be made neat, i just have to wait for my mate to come back and help/do it for me as i simply dont have the want to do it (part of the reason for sale)

Finally finishing at 1pm.

So everything now works as it should, wires just need sorting properly, and im gonna put a small ali plate on the wires in the wheel arch just incase my wheel catches it.

So i haven't driven the car since the 15th August (last DWYB) where i encountered the above problems. Sorted loads since then so lets see what other issues become apparent

Ive been in a big rush to get them all sorted as i booked the 8th Dec for a day at pod.

I sold the wheels as i didnt like the GTR-Ds, planning something really unique and special, so while i save i picked up some cheapy rota GRIDS which basically match the fitment of the new wheels i am planning.

I ordered some HnR 10mm for the fronts, which were sent to me as 5mm, so i tried the studs as i wont have time in the next two weeks to do, the studs didnt fit either, great. Off to garage D with one of my studs to get matched up for some longer ones.

Got some 10mm slipons from my mate and some Nismo longer studs from Garage D. also some 20mm boltons for the rear.

The grids i picked up in purple, but very tatty, so i dropped them off to the garage to get em sprayed, i dropped em off and said surprise me. only knew the colour once i picked it up. green with a purple flip, the purple flip isnt as strong as id like, but hey, it was free.

Hopefully see a few of you on the 8th, with a car that has no issues. next weekend im ironing out the last few issues.

Rides
    Alright so Grids sold, got bored. looking for something Special.

In the mean time i Got some really clean R33 GTR seats to return the car to a proper comfy drive.

I fixed the cool running issue. never got above 60degrees on the motorway, couldnt get warm air in the cabin, was a nightmare.

thought i had a nismo stat, turned out it was a stock stat that opened early lol. so got that replaced and put a 82/87 fan switch in.

I changed the battery which was flat already, put a Varta AGM battery in which should take a bit more abuse than a regular battery and wont splosh its acid around my boot as its sealed.

The R33 GTR seats dont fit exactly as one bolt hole doesnt line up, so often to Walton @ NisPro to fix the issues.

i also lost my fourth Harness mounting point, so bought some harness plates and longer bolts. turned out i didnt need them as Walton just cut the nut from the plate and welded it below the car on the standard nissan spreader plate and then i used an eyebolt to fix the seat in. Simples.

He also fixed the wheel catching on the chasis rail something that was really messing me up at Pod.

Also bought walton some cakes.

Might as well upload this.

Sample pic by blackett on my second drift day.

i do wanna pay for a CD, but needed to view a load first to see if its worth it. so next time i go il stay behind to view in the hut lol

Rides
    Just read your build very nice car how was fitment of the r34 rear undertray ?

Rides
    Car looks great had a look round it a pod the end of last year. Had the same problem with the wheels rubbing on my ps I did the same repair but i think it now touching on the brake hose mount or a bit of weld, I noticed I had ground a notch into the inner sidewall of my front tyres but given your man sized offset you might get this problem.

Rides
    always been a fan of your car firestorm. have seen some very tatty ps13.4 been done before, but yours is certainly one of the better ones.

look forward to more updates

Rides
    Cheers guys. Put a deposit on manfoots ssrs

18x9.5 et -5
    18x12 et -8

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197494

Along with two 255/35 rsrs for the rear.

Let the fun begin!

I didnt fit the undertray in the end gave it to a mate lol.

It fitted the rear bumper pretty good. But ud have to bracket up some fixings under he car to get it to sit
    Last edited by FireStorm; 07-04-2013 at 09:19.

Rides
    Car looks fully awesome and having seen Ross's 14.3 I can appreciate how much work has gone into the conversion