Thread: Flooded engine (dumb question)

Rides

Flooded engine (dumb question)

I started my s13 with the AFM sensor disconnected earlier and its flooded the engine now. I left the car for about 10 mins then tried to start it and it tried to catch a few times but wasnt having it.

I only have a micra battery so cant keep cranking it but i need to get it started.

Is it better to leave it a while then try and start it with the throttle wide open or will that pump in more fuel?

Rides
    take the plugs out and leave it for a wee while

Rides
    Take fuel pump fuse out, floor throttle, crank until it coughs. If you have an assistant they can stuff the fuse back in as soon as it catches.

I have had one occasion that engine wouldn't start but wasn't flooded - didn't cough. Had to pull the FPR hose off to get it to run. Took a lot of goes with the fuse before I worked out that it wasn't getting enough fuel and wasn't flooded.

Rides
    I left it for a while and then tried with the fuel pump fuse out and it coughed a bit. I put the fuse back in and it wouldn't catch. I have gone to take the plugs out but my dads taken the tool box up to the lakes and left it at the caravan :/

Rides
    I had this problem with a m8s ca we had to remove fuel pump fuse, remove the hose that goes to the cold air regulator and cover with your thumb then spray easy start in where you removed the hose on the IC pipework.
    Keep spraying and put the fuelpump fuse back in then when shes running quickly replace the hose before it stalls!

Worked a treat for us and no problems since. I will also add we were trying to get it going for 2 days trying the fuse trick and removing the plugs with no joy!

But as skyshack says try the FPR hose trick 1st!

Let us know how you get on.

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    Mine done this quite a bit, used to pull the fuel pump fuse, crank it over for a bit. Fuse back in and job done.

If the plugs are saturated in this weather they'll take a while to dry out.

Rides
    If the engine has been running very rich for long enough the plugs might well need cleaning/replacing did this before with my car wen I blew a boost pipe but limped it home, refused to fire, it had just gassed all 4 plugs.

Rides
    I had the fuel pump fuse off and cranked it and it spluttered a couple of times but as soon as I put the fuse back in nothing it just smelt of petrol. I took it off and cleared it out and tried again, still nothing. It spluttered to life temporarily with the AFM unplugged but I couldn't plug it back in before it cut out again and now it wont catch at all.

I have given in and called out breakdown, I told the chap the problem and asked him to just take the plugs out for me and he didn't believe me and decided to spend half an hour messing about with the AFM and then finally agreed to take out a plug and have a look for me just to prove me wrong. When the plug came out the tip was soaked

The breakdown guy said he didn't have time to take out, dry and replace all of the plugs so either he could leave me with it or tow me. I asked him to tow me as I cant call them out again and I dont have tools!

If anyone near Bury has the right sockets to take out and put in the spark plugs a couple of beers will be in it for you?

Rides
    Or just go get the appropriate socket for yourself, at least you will have it for future use! You cant own an sx and not own a basic toolkit lol

Rides
    Cheaper to but a socket then buy a couple of beers surely...

Rides
    Ratchets and sockets are all in my toolbox, which is currently at our caravan in the lakes haha. I dont wanna buy a new socket set but can live with buying beers...