Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chilli growers, show me your setups

Rides
    I love my greenhouse too, although it didn't help my crop last year as the weather was so shit. Hoping for better this year, but germinating them is being a pain. I reckon I have 6 plants out of about 20 so far.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I love my greenhouse too, although it didn't help my crop last year as the weather was so shit. Hoping for better this year, but germinating them is being a pain. I reckon I have 6 plants out of about 20 so far.
    Try a little bottom heat it works,but if you are patient I dare say you get 18 from the 20.

Are you using a propogator? Are the seeds in trays or jiffys?

Rides
    Heated prop with jiffy pods, usually works.

Rides
    Oh well, so far I'm not having much luck germinating mine in soil so I'm going to give the kitchen roll method a go. I have a proper greenhouse ready and waiting, just need some bloody warm weather . I'd normally be buying my toms soon but I can't see that happening.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by corfublue View Post
    Try a little bottom heat it works,
    do I have to actually sit on the seedlings ..... or will holding my bottom up close to the plant suffice ???

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    Current state of play

Mostly tomatoes. Though quite a lot of the chilli's are coming through now.
    Need to thin the toms out and repot then soon was hoping for some decent weather.

Rides
    How are everyone's getting on?

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    My Nagas didn't take

Superchillis are looking cracking though. Mental growth, lots of flowers...bring the heat

Rides
    Shite proper poor yeild of plants and what did take is growing at a snails pace. Damn lack of spring.

Rides
    Is anyone else big on other bits. Fruit n veg etc? 1/3 of my garden is now home produce lol. Didnt wanna start a new thread and get totally flamed as chillis are obviously man things to grow and perhaps my blueberry bushes dnt come under the same catogory of manlyness.

Rides
    I grew Numex Twilight once, ended up like this:

They turn quite bush like and so could theoretically plant them outdoors and cut them back/cover them over winter and have something nice a colourful in the garden.

Naga's I found quite challenging to grow, as mentioned a heated prop, mine was next to a radiator until I got about 4 leaves, then straight out into a south facing window for as much sun as possible.

These were some nagas from a few years ago:

I personally use tomorite with water once every few weeks.

Once they flower, I wait a day or 2 to make sure there is pollen forming, then I will give them a little wiggle to make sure, then once fruit starts to form, I starve the **** out of the plant to the point of it falling over, then give it enough water to get back on its feet and then rinse and repeat as I find that the plant in an effort to stay alive puts everything it has into the fruit making it more full in flavour and heat in the end. I've gone almost a week between watering on some plants, you have to play it by ear though.

Rides
    Also to combat greenfly I use water plus a little washing up liquid as it will make the water cling to the fly and suffocate them. I would never use an insecticide on a plant that I plan on eating from, but then I am not entirely sure whats in a bottle of fairy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Also to combat greenfly I use water plus a little washing up liquid as it will make the water cling to the fly and suffocate them. I would never use an insecticide on a plant that I plan on eating from, but then I am not entirely sure whats in a bottle of fairy
    Great tip from troy. Works with most plants tbh. Its basically what organic insecticide is lol.

Rides
    Had a few seeds left over from last year, so planted two trays. One tray was just sweet peppers, and the other was Hot Bulgarian Carrot. Of 9 seeds in each tray, 3 came up in one and 1 came up in the other. I forgot to label them though, so don't know what I have growing here now but they're in the conservatory most of the time and get to go outside on a decent day. Some flowers are just appearing. The ones I planted last year got raped by whitefly until I sprayed them with some insecticide we have for the tomatoes. I planted late last year too, but planting early this year didn't work so well as they took ages to germinate and even then 4 plants out of 18 seeds is a bit poor in my opinion.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Is anyone else big on other bits. Fruit n veg etc? 1/3 of my garden is now home produce lol. Didnt wanna start a new thread and get totally flamed as chillis are obviously man things to grow and perhaps my blueberry bushes dnt come under the same catogory of manlyness.

Lol. I haven't bothered this year with anything other than chillis and tomatoes. I've got about 8 different tom varieties.

Chilli wise, everything's abit pathetic to be honest. I've got about 40 plants various types, and none are al that big. Seen a big spurt this last week or so, the chocolate nagas seem to be doing quite well.
    Just have to wait and see if we get any fruits once they've grown a bit more.

Rides
    3 tomato plants are absolutely shooting up in the greenhouse. One cherry, one beefsteak and one normal. I have around 50 regular onions that are doing well. 6 broccoli that are getting huge. 2 leeks that I got as seedlings from a lass at work. 4 misc jalapenos that i germinated using the damp kitchen roll method. They're not doing much though, just not warm enough methinks.

Rides

This was taken a week ago.

Its grown loads since.

I tried chillis out doors but never mamaged to get anything except a.small plant which died in winter. Might have to try that bush thing above.

Rides
    Has anyone had any experiences with the 'Bhut Jolokia' chilli, go on I dares ya ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-Zd-Ga5S8 These guys cracked me up and I love their style of editing, look out for the 'I just ate ghost pepper hot sauce face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QYdwC47QH0

You will laugh, I cried....
    Last edited by markscarisdead; 25-06-2013 at 22:35.

Rides
    How are we all getting on?

What's doing well? What's not done so well this year?

For me,
    Hungarian yellow wax it's probably my favourite looking plant.
    Got about 6 Matt yellow chillis on it. Not had success before with these ones.

Apache, it's gone mental again this year, there's about 40 chillis on the one plant. Very hot as well lol.

Cayenne, got a few on this, it's pretty decent sized. Not tried them yet.

Purple, got loads on this. Really cool looking plant. Not tried any if them tho.

Scotch bonnets, got a few on the 2 plants I have. Not very big this year. Still plenty of time I was still getting fruits in October last year.

The bhut jolokias never really happened. I got them to germinate and grow but they are really picky with growing conditions. I've still got 2 small plants but I don't think they'll get big enough to fruit now.

The trinidad scorpion and the yellow 7 pot died, along with about 10 other plants due to heat in the greenhouse when I was away for a few days. Basically the gf killed them lol

Tomatos have been pretty rubbish this year for me. Mainly because I lost interest in them and didnt thin them out. Got some funky yellow stripes and a few small other ones.

Going to grab the camera in a bit and take some pictures.

Rides
    This is he first year i have ever tried to grow chillis, i planted some of mine at the end of jan and some in march in a un heated propergator on the window sill in my bed room with temp of 18-20º inside the propergator. Once they had germinated i moved some to the front room where there was more sunlight amd left some in the bed room to see what difference was made. Tried a couple of different set ups in the base of the propergator to. Once we had some reasonable weather i moved all my plants out to the unheated conservatory. With the hot weather im watering half a mug each day and evey 3-4 days they get tomatoerite mized at 5ml to one litre of water. Again this is my first attempt so every thing is trial and error at the mo.