Thread: Stage 2 chip... help?

Rides

Stage 2 chip... help?

Hello,
    Can anyone in or near Bury/Manchester help me out with fitting a chip, and the associated adjustment to the timing?

Beers offered obv for your troubles

Rides
    If its for a 13, buy a socketted ECU (with the same numbers as your current one) or buy a socket from Maplins for about 99p and take it to a TV repair place. They'll remove the current chip and install the socket for a few quid.

All you then need to do is to push in the chip. As long as you fit it the right way round

Timing shouldn't need adjusting I wouldn't have thought. 15 deg +- 2 deg is standard.

Then all you've got to do is fit a T28 to go with the chip and some kind of boost controller.

Rides
    The boost controller and T28 are fitted its just the chip! On the instructions with the chip it says I need to advance the timing by 14 degrees? Is this not the case?

Rides
    That will be 14 degrees from TDC. So they are saying you must set it to 14 deg in advance of top dead centre. That is in the range 15 +/-2 deg. i.e. 13 to 17 degrees that is the standard setting.

After fitting the chip, it would make sense to get it on a rolling road and get them to check the AFRs to make sure its not over nor under fueling.

It also has the added advantage of telling you how much power your car is making

Make sure that the RR you take it to shows AFRs on the print out though.

Some areas of the club organise RR days and if you can jump on one of those it will be cheaper (although not as cheap as if you are a member )

If the chip is not from someone reputable like Horsham Developments, I'd strongly recommend you get it checked on the RR as a blown engine will be expensive.

Rides
    Cheers for the help thats great, it is a h-dev chip I dont trust ebay chips haha!

I'll get it installed and then on an RR and check that its not over fueling or under fueling but that might be a few weeks away yet, I still need to set the boost controller up etc before its going to be running right.

Rides
    I could do the Chip fitting for you at work (St Helens), but I don't have a strobe for setting the timing PM me if I can help.