Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What motorbike?

Rides

What motorbike?

I've had 3 different bikes so far (GPZ500, modded Aprilia RS125 and GSXR600) and didn't really get along with them all that well.

I get carpal tunnel syndrome so my hands go numb easily and the riding position of sports bikes brings this on very quickly (i.e. a minute or two) so its quite uncomfortable riding for me as I have to keep shaking my hand/forearm to sort it out or ignore it and end up with similar to 'pins & needles' feeling.
    I also tend to just cruise along rather than blasting along, I take my time and calmly enjoy the ride.

Love Harley's but they are out of my price range, ideally don't want to spend more than about £1500ish (even getting that past the gf ain't gonna be easy! lol)
    I quite like the look of the Yamaha Virago's (as well as the price tag being reasonable) and I think the riding position/style would suit me perfectly, spotted ones like this on ebay...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3008553913...84.m1438.l2649
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512291446...84.m1438.l2649
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1709912026...84.m1438.l2649
    I have tried sitting on one (although didn't ride it) and it seemed to be very comfortable.

Any other suggestions what I could look at? Or advice on what to look for in the Virago's?
    bovvered?

Rides
    Fork seals and sticky brake callipers

They dont like winter Weather too much and go look at the 1100`s

Alternatives would be :-

1) Kawasaki VN range

2) Honda VT range

3) Suzuki Marauder

Rides
    Ducati Monsters are a really comfy upright position,

I find mine a better riding position than a VN900 I test rode, as the bars are flat and not got the sweep back that a cruiser has, nothing to do with me having one for sale well within your budget

Rides
    Not sure if they'll be in your price range but how about a gsx1400 or xjr1300?
    For me the Viragos have always had the sort of mx5, mr2 kind of thing going, if daz had a bike, he'd have a virago.

Rides
    The Virago to me is like the VN but worse on the wrists, as they have a more extreme angle of sweep on the bars, putting your hands into a very unnatural postition

Rides
    I think a 6 cylinder bike is the only way to go!

Rides
    Those Viragos bring back memories! My dad used to own one, didn't have it long if I recall. Don't think he got on with it too well.

Look for the usual, suspension being in good condition, brake wear, general wear and tear. I tend to look around the welds around the frame, to see if its been bent from dropping it etc.
    And as mentioned already fork seals

Have a look at things like the yamaha dragster 650, very comfortable for cruising around looks like a big bike but is actually quite light and feels smaller when you're on it than it looks from the outside.
    I've ridden my dads many a time, not the quickest thing around but its different and pretty awesome. We've not had any problems with ours and we've had it for quite a long time now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DRA...item3f2246da1f

Rides
    they all look a bit massively gay to me. Have you had a look at triumph tiger, bmw gs , ducati monster and yamaha tdm?
    I think those sort of giant trailies are supposed to be fairly comfortable i know the tdm is.

Rides
    1500 is a tight budget for a decent cruiser. Id be looking at a bandit with comfy bars.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    Fork seals and sticky brake callipers

They dont like winter Weather too much and go look at the 1100`s

Alternatives would be :-

1) Kawasaki VN range

2) Honda VT range

3) Suzuki Marauder
    Cheers will have look
    Tbh I think I will be a mainly summer rider anyway. Its actually about 2-3yrs since my last bike (gsxr600) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Ducati Monsters are a really comfy upright position,

I find mine a better riding position than a VN900 I test rode, as the bars are flat and not got the sweep back that a cruiser has, nothing to do with me having one for sale well within your budget
    I spotted the uprightness from your sig pic the other day actually and also that you posted on Cosy's bike sale thread so was going to pm you about it but was distracted by something and forgot
    How much are you selling it for? You've not got it up for sale on here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_20085 View Post
    Not sure if they'll be in your price range but how about a gsx1400 or xjr1300?
    For me the Viragos have always had the sort of mx5, mr2 kind of thing going, if daz had a bike, he'd have a virago.
    Will have a look at them

And you bastard, you've just ruined virago's Now I can't ever have a virago, same way as no straight person could ever have a damson s14a after knowing Daz has one

Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    The Virago to me is like the VN but worse on the wrists, as they have a more extreme angle of sweep on the bars, putting your hands into a very unnatural postition
    Don't know what you mean by that but I'll research and find out

Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    I think a 6 cylinder bike is the only way to go!

Tbh I don't know the difference between the amounts of cylinders on bikes, what sort of size ranges do they usually change?
    I'll check out that vid in the morning as everyones in bed now

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Those Viragos bring back memories! My dad used to own one, didn't have it long if I recall. Don't think he got on with it too well.

Look for the usual, suspension being in good condition, brake wear, general wear and tear. I tend to look around the welds around the frame, to see if its been bent from dropping it etc.
    And as mentioned already fork seals

Have a look at things like the yamaha dragster 650, very comfortable for cruising around looks like a big bike but is actually quite light and feels smaller when you're on it than it looks from the outside.
    I've ridden my dads many a time, not the quickest thing around but its different and pretty awesome. We've not had any problems with ours and we've had it for quite a long time now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DRA...item3f2246da1f
    I like that, made me remember that my mates brother had one a few years back and I just stood there staring at it for aaaages lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi Roku View Post
    they all look a bit massively gay to me. Have you had a look at triumph tiger, bmw gs , ducati monster and yamaha tdm?
    I think those sort of giant trailies are supposed to be fairly comfortable i know the tdm is.
    Nope but I will have a look through em

Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    1500 is a tight budget for a decent cruiser. Id be looking at a bandit with comfy bars.
    Wasn't sure if it was a decent budget for that or not. Although not expecting something particularly new, not that bothered by a mid nineties one.
    Good point on the bandit, will have a look
    bovvered?

Rides
    My 14a was damson but mysteriously got painted white??
    Coincidence? I think not?

Rides
    Similar to the bandit is what i currently use, xj600n with flat bars, similar to the renthal ones on bandits. Bought mine mint condition for less than 1500 and I've done thousands of miles on it, often do 150-300 at a time and can just get straight off it and carry on. Versatile, quick-ish and chuck-able if needs be, barely done anything with it in the 7 years I've owned it bar spark plugs, oil, chain sprockets, tyres and fork seals and its been faultless.

Rides
    For that budget itd have to be a bandit 1200n for that, comfy, can be messed with and built like tanks

Rides
    As you probably guessed I didn't get far considering buying a bike back in Feb, but now we have settled into a new home and sold a few cars off I am considering it again Looking at anything from £1k-1.5k'ish

I still keep eyeing up the Virago's, just like the look of them.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261259774323
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111136163757

But I do like this too, not sure if its worth buying to fix or not though as its more than I wanted to spend anyway really...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181191570471

Have been keeping an eye out for anything else too, including all the bikes you have all suggested
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 08-08-2013 at 15:09.
    bovvered?

Rides
    You should be able to pick up a Honda shadow for around that if your dead set on being an easy rider.

Rides
    I did try searching for them but within my budget all I can find is 125cc or pre 1990.
    bovvered?

Rides
    Tried sitting on a Virago last night, it felt comfortable for the handles but the footpegs didn't seem to be located so well.

Gonna try sitting on bandit later hopefully as found out yesterday that a guy at work has one

edit:
    This just got posted on Gumtree so gonna try and get to see it tomorrow as it sounds fairly good...
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...sic/1028042873
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 09-08-2013 at 11:14.
    bovvered?

Rides
    That's probably owned by a enthusiast. Low mileage , looks like a good deal.

Rides
    BMW RT if you can pick one up in budget.

Quote Originally Posted by uk86ze View Post
    That's probably owned by a enthusiast. Low mileage , looks like a good deal.
    It's owned by someone that prefers polishing to riding by the looks of things. 450 miles a year is hardly worth owning a bike for!
    Last edited by voodoo_melon; 10-08-2013 at 08:48.