Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another possible VVT rattle - with video

Rides
    Sr's knock out bottom ends more than people let on.

Everybody just says, 'oh don't worry, it's just vvt rattle'
    Sr's are an all alloy engine with a hollow bit on the front where the timing chain is. This makes every noise sound like it's coming from the top as the noise travels so easily.

If it doesn't clear when you pull away then i highly doubt it's vvt rattle.

Pull the fuse out for the vvt and see if it stops the rattle.
    If it does, happy days, you just have a screwed vvt sprocket. If it doesn't, take your cam covers off and look for any obvious damage. Personally, i'd just drain the oil and take the sump/oil pan off and have a look for any fragments of metal or 'glittery oil'

Rides
    that sounds exactly as mine did, and unfortunatly was a spun big end bearing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sr-tommy View Post
    Thanks for the response everyone. If the pistons where knocking or the bottom end had gone, wouldn't it be there 100% of the time? it never ever rattles from cold. It does sound like it is coming from the top end. Also the problem is temperamental, yesterday the noise disappeared while warm, this is a rare thing since the problems got worse, but still, doesn't this prove that it may be vvt? a mechanic said it could be the lifters. The car drives well, doesnt smoke and no noises above 2k. munkul i will study your thread and test it soon
    That sounds VERY like VVT (VCT!) since its sometimes intermittent. Like you said, rod knock will always be there, once warm (sometimes it wont be heard when cold) and it will always get louder with revs. I wouldnt rule out knock altogether, but I would test the VCT as soon as possible to rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by maddison View Post

Pull the fuse out for the vvt and see if it stops the rattle.
    If it does, happy days, you just have a screwed vvt sprocket. If it doesn't, take your cam covers off and look for any obvious damage.
    This is totally incorrect, sorry! VVT (VCT!) sprockets go bad and give different symptoms, but you can ONLY hear them when the VCT is switched off. Pulling the fuse will not make it better in the slightest, cos then it will ALWAYS be off.

It seems that searching threads, hardly anyone has a clue as to how it works, you get all these suggestions to pull the fuse or disconnect the plug, it's utterly pointless.

If you want to test it, you do exactly what I said.
    Last edited by munkul; 21-02-2013 at 18:41.

Rides
    This man speaks the truth tested mine his way and its the only way that works properly to test

Rides
    it could be VVT, but i'd definetly be looking more towards bottom end knock of sticky lifter.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by munkul View Post
    This is totally incorrect, sorry! VVT (VCT!) sprockets go bad and give different symptoms, but you can ONLY hear them when the VCT is switched off. Pulling the fuse will not make it better in the slightest, cos then it will ALWAYS be off.
    Fair one cheers, don't be sorry! i've obviously misunderstood it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by munkul View Post
    if its knocking, then it would get a lot worse at 3k. It doesnt, so it cant be rod knock.

Piston knock? As in, really worn bores? If it was that bad, the knock would be least of my worries - it would be smoking worse than a rasta!
    Mine was a sticking gudgeon pin so it would still be there but not as noticable at higher revs. It would sound like the video at lower revs. changed the VVT to none VVT and it still did it. When the pistons came out they looked scrapped to fook.

worth trying the VVT fix as its cheap and will only help if he gets it fixed and VVT rattle apears.

Rides
    Quick update guys! I did the VVT sprocket test, it WAS indeed the VVT sprocket rattling its head off. Thanks so much to Munkel and immy for explaining this test, anyone still unsure of how to do it, message me.
    Last edited by sr-tommy; 04-03-2013 at 10:52.

Rides

Another possible VVT rattle - with video

Dont mean to hijack but didnt want to start a new VVT Rattle thread lol. When i start my car theres no rattle, if i rev in neutral theres no rattle, if i engage a gear and pull off without using accelerator it doesnt rattle.. Its only when i engage a gear and keep the clutch pedal down then hit the accelerator that it rattles (for between 1-2 secs then clears, sometimes it doesnt do it at all). Is this VVT or something else?