Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Photography thread.

Rides
    Technique-wise I'd say you've got it. Might be worth getting slower and slower once you've got a few 'banker' shots, you can never really go too slow with a panning shot if you manage to nail it! Interesting fore/background to pan through always helps too, so look for somewhere with some colour (trees, red/white armco, crowds etc)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Cheers for the advice mate. I was struggling massivly at anything below 1/80th as my panning isn't smooth enough. I think I need to practice how I stand etc to be smoother. I should of picked a slower bit of track to learn on as the cars were 100mph plus at this point, can't help but think a faster shot rate would help but my 1100d is pretty slow at multiple images.

I tried to fix the iso at either 100 or 200 with an aperture of around 20, does this sound about right? I've had trouble with noise using auto iso as it tends to go well in to the 1000's at times.

Will definately look for a better spot next time as you suggest
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    A few Ive shot over the last week or so..

A very patient frog. He even waited while I got the camera and changed lenses.

BTCC at Rockingham..

Sunrise + photoshop
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Those are some cracking shots especially the frog

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Cheers for the advice mate. I was struggling massivly at anything below 1/80th as my panning isn't smooth enough. I think I need to practice how I stand etc to be smoother. I should of picked a slower bit of track to learn on as the cars were 100mph plus at this point, can't help but think a faster shot rate would help but my 1100d is pretty slow at multiple images.

I tried to fix the iso at either 100 or 200 with an aperture of around 20, does this sound about right? I've had trouble with noise using auto iso as it tends to go well in to the 1000's at times.

To be honest, turning auto-ISO off would be my first step. It can be useful (if you're covering an event with huge variations in ambient light) but on a somewhat fixed subject like motorsport, it's not really necessary.

The second thing I'd do is switch to shutter-priority mode (Tv mode on your Canon) and let the camera do the work. You can then concentrate on getting the shutter speeds down without worrying about wheyhy the Sun has gone behind the clouds etc.

Finally, shooting a camera is a lot like shooting a rifle, especially with larger lenses. Remember to control your breathing, exhale as you shoot and squeeze the shutter instead of snatching it. Sounds OTT but as you drop below the "golden rule" speeds the camera will pick up the tiniest of vibrations from you. Find yourself a nice solid place to stand, supported if possible and aim to be as smooth as you can. To be fair your panning shots are already more than passable (Ive seen far worse in print) but these tips might help you progress from the safe shots to produce something a bit special. You can always start stacking ND filters when you get the hang of things too!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    That's fantastic, thank you :
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Any time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post

be careful closing the aperture up that much - if you go too far, you suffer from diffraction and it'll soften the images. I'd give it a go in the f8-f16 range and fiddle with the settings around that.

to understand it a bit more, this is a pretty good article.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...apertures.html

if you need to get slower shutter speeds at those apertures in bright daylight, have a think about some ND filters for the front of the lens.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I wouldn't worry about diffraction, you'd be hard pushed to spot the difference in sharpness/contrast between f/8 and f/22 in real terms. I also regularly shoot at f/45 and smaller for engineering and technical support and have never noticeably suffered from it, even on large prints and in crop. For a panning shot that's probably going to end up at 72dpi on the internet, I think you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Garrett_T25; 18-09-2013 at 19:57.

Rides
    I realise this is a serious photography thread and that there's probably been a thousand sunsets but this was one of the best I've seen so I hastily took a snap of it using my phone through the sitting room window.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I've also been taking sunset shots on my phone.

Need to go back with my proper camera soon.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett_T25 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about diffraction, you'd be hard pushed to spot the difference in sharpness/contrast between f/8 and f/22 in real terms. I also regularly shoot at f/45 and smaller for engineering and technical support and have never noticeably suffered from it, even on large prints and in crop. For a panning shot that's probably going to end up at 72dpi on the internet, I think you'll be fine.
    I suspect that depends on your lenses, I suspect, just suspect you might be using better gear than most of us

my 18-55 kit lens that isn't exactly 'sharp sharp' to begin with starts getting really soft - particularly in the corners. same for my uber cheap zoom I bought used.

my 85 doesn't even go past f16, my 35 doesn't go past f22. my kit lens however will go down to f32 and given that I don't pixel peep much, even I was able to notice while I was faffing in lightroom.

george - tis a nice one - doesn't take an expensive camera to make a good shot, just helps you get them more often
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    A weekend of Wedding Photography followed by a corporate event has left 1200 images in my Lightroom, and it's about to wave a the white flag at me
    A man paid to bash people in the face:
    Jon Thaxton
    and a Bride with a sense of humour:
    Know who's boss

Rides
    Full moon out tonight chaps

Full Moon

And another doggy pic

UKA GT Agility

Rides
    [QUOTE=Turbo Stu;6478405]Full moon out tonight chaps

Full Moon

what settings did you use for this?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    I suspect that depends on your lenses, I suspect, just suspect you might be using better gear than most of us
    You'd be surprised! Up until two years ago we were still using D2Xs (same body as in the link you provided) and our macro lenses have done their time and then some by now (...although we do also have D3/X/Ss and D4s...and 300mm/600mm f/2.8 primes...)

Contrary to the above though, completely agree with you about the kit not being as important. Modern phone cameras are certainly a lot better than the point/shoots I started out on, and you can receive dirty pictures from women while you're doing it.

Rides
    The detail on that moon pic is fantastic. Well worth clicking on it for the original size pic.

I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter200 View Post
    The detail on that moon pic is fantastic. Well worth clicking on it for the original size pic.
    Agreed, class shot

A quick couple from work; old news now, but these were taken the night the jets were being prepped before deploying to Cyprus a couple of weeks ago. The day after, Camerons attempt at military intervention in Syria was blocked.

And a random recent car shot.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post

what settings did you use for this?
    F11
    1/100th sec
    ISO 100

Canon 7D with Canon 400mm f5.6L lens

Tripod mounted using mirror lockup and remote trigger

Rides
    Some sky:
    Sky