Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Hatch?

Rides
    Incidently why not a Focus? just dont like the looks? I ask as you like the Volvo and its the same car
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I've just picked up a 197 as a new daily. Like you I was after something a bit sensible, but could still have fun in it. It's ok on fuel, motorway sees you in the 30's, town you're in the 20's. Fantastic to throw about though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    I read that part myself ;-)

Alex B
    Why ask then?

Rides
    Because I wanted to know what was funny, as I said

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphon View Post
    Comfy? Daily? Lol
    dont see why not? i used a stock DC2 integra as a daily for well over year with no complaints... other than oil and fuel consumption

Rides
    Auris SR180

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Because I wanted to know what was funny, as I said

Alex B
    Book figures hardly ever live up to real world figures. Proverbial pinch of salt required.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    dont see why not? i used a stock DC2 integra as a daily for well over year with no complaints... other than oil and fuel consumption
    Using my Dc2 as a daily left me with spinal defects, and the overwhelming urge to buy a luxobarge.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Book figures hardly ever live up to real world figures. Proverbial pinch of salt required.

Using my Dc2 as a daily left me with spinal defects, and the overwhelming urge to buy a luxobarge.
    you're either showing your age or need to man up. those recaros were awesome and the stock suspension just fine

Rides
    you're either showing your age or need to man up. those recaros were awesome and the stock suspension just fine
    Let me put it this way - I went to Le Mans in the Integra. Other than having to fill up with petrol, twice, on that run I didn't stop for anything. I got out the other end and was knackered - eyes bouncing around in my head, ears ringing. Conversely I went to Argenton-sur-Creuse in the BM, which is about 150 miles further south east from Le Mans, and I did that journey back in one go, on one tank of diesel, not stopping. Got out the other end and felt absolutely fine and could have turned straight round and gone back again.

There's different levels of comfort; some people use stripped out S13's with track suspension, welded diffs and noisy exhausts - doesn't mean it's comfortable in anyone's book but theirs

No manning up to be done. Just common sense - motorway driving doesn't suit Integras.

Rides
    If you are going to use something like a DC2 he might as well just use the 200
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Let me put it this way - I went to Le Mans in the Integra. Other than having to fill up with petrol, twice, on that run I didn't stop for anything. I got out the other end and was knackered - eyes bouncing around in my head, ears ringing. Conversely I went to Argenton-sur-Creuse in the BM, which is about 150 miles further south east from Le Mans, and I did that journey back in one go, on one tank of diesel, not stopping. Got out the other end and felt absolutely fine and could have turned straight round and gone back again.

There's different levels of comfort; some people use stripped out S13's with track suspension, welded diffs and noisy exhausts - doesn't mean it's comfortable in anyone's book but theirs

No manning up to be done. Just common sense - motorway driving doesn't suit Integras.
    your integra can't have been standard then. I was suggesting a stock one, mine was fine, even on motorways. It's just a n/a 1.8 fwd car at the end of the day, not a rwd boosted datsun

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I was joking when I mentioned integras btw guys hence the

Apart from a dc5 perhaps.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Being a vw fan I'm a bit biased but I love my mk5 golf gti dsg.

If you're on a budget for a cheap old shed then a mk4 gt tdi 130 or a 1600 / diesel focus I reckon.

Rides
    Genuinely suprised by people recommending a C30!
    My mum has a 2l (I think) petrol and it's horrible. The ride is really crashy and harsh, and the engine is pretty gutless. I don't think it's 'sport' suspension or anything of that ilk. It rides worse than our E46 on sport suspension, and that's saying something! Doesn't even handle particularly well either. It's an OK hatch, but I certainly wouldn't consider it over a focus. (it's a first gen one, dunno if the second gen ones are any better)

Rides
    Hold up... we're missing a trick here...

Hatchback? Practical? Not too boring? Not too thirsty? Diesel?

What you need is Graham's derv S13

Rides
    I've found them a good base for normal cars, our '03 plate Mondeo, '56 plate Vectra and '97 V70 all run at an average of 3mpg above the round town figure, for mostly round town driving, (as close to town driving as you can realistically get)

Certainly a better reference than I get xxx miles to a tank that seems to be the norm for fuel economy figures.

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are going to use something like a DC2 he might as well just use the 200
    Lol Exactly! My 200 isn't a full out and out track car but it's not anywhere near a BMW or other modern cars comfort levels. If I'm gonna get something it has to be a bit refined or theres no point I might as well get a transit van for carrying stuff :P

I can do long journeys but it does exhaust me- stiff suspension, a race engine and booming exhaust - yes I'm old

OK so the volvo sounds bad...Fords just don't seem like they'll be "interesting" enough. I do want to have a car I like.
    Ben, you're not the only one who suggested an S13!
    Test drives are gonna be had when I can drive again - will report back what I think if anyone's interested

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by irishwhale View Post
    Auris SR180
    Good shout - my uncle has one I can test!

Rides
    I have just bought an 07 Civic 2.2 deceptively quick in the midrange, and 55mpg with plenty of space.

Rides
    your integra can't have been standard then. I was suggesting a stock one, mine was fine, even on motorways. It's just a n/a 1.8 fwd car at the end of the day, not a rwd boosted datsun
    T'was standard bar a flywheel pretty much. On a motorway at 80mph it's doing 4k+ rpm and was quite buzzy. The BM does that at 2.5k rpm and you can hear a pin drop inside. The Integra was no worse than my R32 in terms of ride comfort - apart from maybe it was a little more crashy / underdamped in certain circumstances - but the R32 wasn't refinement redefined either. Comfortable luxobarges are SO much more comfortable on a long run.