Thread: Cam Cover Painting

Rides

Cam Cover Painting

Hi All,

I know a lot of people paint their own cam cover but there are also a lot of people who want it done but dont want the hassle of doing it themselves.

I am thinking of maybe starting up a service that paints them, for the time being it would be simple paint jobs so block colours, 2 tone and maybe some patterned covers until I evolve my painting skills.
    I have have some experiaence with respraying cars as I have done 2 now and also other items that usually sit within the engine bay.

But how many of you would be interested in something like this?

Any advice/criticism is welcome.

Rides
    I want a saphire blue rocker cover on my s14a

Rides
    This may break the rules as "trading" be worth PM'ing mark to find out. But I would possibly be interested, prices? Pictures of previous work?

Rides
    Oops I forgot about the rules. Admin sorry if I have broken them I was just trying to do some market research.

At the moment I need to work out how much it would cost before I can work out the selling price but I doubt it would be that much

Rides
    I would have thought if you could do it for the £25.00 mark +£5 return shipping you would have plenty to keep you busy.

Rides
    I did exactly the same here about 7 years ago and got next to sod all interest, similar results elsewhere, i don't think there is really the market for it, once it gets more involved with artwork etc the price starts to put people off.

Oh! and as for cost £25 a pop is unrealistic as the paint alone would cost £25 for a small tin, and if everyone wants a different color.

Rides
    There's a fair bit of work involved to do it to a commercial standard, prep, prime, wash gun, flat, paint, wash gun, maybe polish out any shit. Then materials, pre-sanding cleaner, sandpaper, panel wipe, sealer, primer, paint, laquer, mixing pots, strainers, gunwash, proper paper towel, heating, lighting. Bit different to wiping it over with scotch and blasting a bit of aerosol over it.

I'd be surprised if you got change from £100 off the top of my head, I certainly wouldn't want to do it for less.

Alex B

Rides
    It's on my list of jobs to do, would be interested in a send it off for a week or two service if the quality/finish was good

Rides
    Thanks for the input on this, to be honest i dont think it would be done for £25 so i may need to go back to the drawing board for a new idea.