Thread: 200sx S14a - Eratic Tachometer

Rides

200sx S14a - Eratic Tachometer

Hi
    Tachometer playing up, works sometimes but at other times either goes fully to max or waves about randomly. I understand that it is a pretty common issue so any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated. Excuse bad spelling!
    Cheers
    Last edited by n200jhs; 05-02-2013 at 16:06. Reason: error

Rides
    Try a search, apparently it's just a bit of solder on the back of the clock that needs a repair. I think I've got to do the same with dads '32 GTR.

Alex B

Rides
    Thanks Alex, found the following thread:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ks#post4872287
    I'll give it a go when I feel brave enough, but don't fancy removing the steering wheel as it's got the airbag, etc. Seems that you can get away with it by dropping the rake adjustment as far as possible. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers.
    John S

Rides
    You can get the clocks out without removing the wheel. I had mine out recently to do the same job.

Rides
    Thanks, good to know. Did the fix do the trick?

Rides
    When you refit the gauge into the clock housing make sure to clean the 3 (or 4) mounting screws , their flat washers and the copper contact pads where they go through the floppy pcb , and make sure they are nice and tight. The screws make part of the circuit . I thought I'd stuffed mine after soldering as it was worse , but turned out to be just bad connection .

Rides
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback, I'll make sure that I take note. Hope to have a go at fixing it before the month end then, sadly, it will have to go. End of an era, 13 happy years of 200sx ownership (7 years with this one) but just retired so got to get sensible. Cheers