Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: jj205mi16's sr20vet s14a

Rides
    Looks mad buddy! Just a quick q... when it was running "very rich" did it splutter at all or drive off?

I'm currently having issues and I'm wondering if it may be fueling

Keep the updates coming

Rides
    wasn't spluttering mate no, just reeked of fuel, but it wasnt even on boost i just nursed it about as it was still needing mapped.

Rides
    Mine also reeks of fuel but mainly after I have had my foot planted. Hey ho!

When does the rebuild commence?

Rides
    asap mate, il get the shells and gasket set ordered up this week.

Rides
    Not much been happening since my last update, been away on holiday so crap progress but this should start to go together in the next month or so, i hope!!

So i sprayed the block and head just to tidy it up with some paint i had laying around, was messing about with it and mixed some up came out kinda bronzey so i sprayed that on my inlet and pump cover. I always get carried away with paint lol.

Also lapped in all the valves so the heads ready to be re-assembled, but im thinking of getting some Brian Crower Springs and retainers for it, undecided as to how much more il be able to rev it due to everything else being stock.

On a side note, check out the wear on these main shells, you would swear something was stuck in no1 big groove worn all the around, these were worse than the big ends which weren't bad at all, the engine ran fine no strange noises or knocks. Hopefully be the same after it all back together lol

Rides
    anymore updates mate?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by racs View Post
    anymore updates mate?
    Nothing much to report, life has thrown me a bit of a curve ball as my poor gran (the car has been kept in her garage, my grampa built) has been struggling with lung cancer, so i will be buying her house off my mum and aunt, so the car has been left sitting as i desperately try not to sell off parts to save up the money to buy the house. Not the great start to the year i was hoping.

Rides
    ah sorry to hear that its never a good thing! and i know how you feel about trying not to sell of parts in these situations

Rides
    believe me Racs i will sell almost everything else before i break the car, its my toy/hobby and i actually enjoy working on it. im really hoping to get some use out of the car this year so i will try to do a bit to it!

Rides
    thats what im like mate im struggling with my rebuild still and trying to figure out where to go as i really cant afford to forge it and tbh i only just afford to make it a fresh standard engine! kinda thinking by another engine to run and then rebuild the spare myself to keep cost down and just drive in head first!

Rides
    well i was gona run the stock engine anyway so i decided just a standard rebuild and if it goes bang fair enough, engines seem to be going for 800-1k now and you never know what youre buying could just put that extra cash to your own engine, just means its off the road. not an easy decision mate

Rides
    this is the thing mate ive been totting up prices on 4 different ways to do it and they all seem to expensive compared to buying another! then rebuilding spare motor properly with more upgraded parts as ill buy them bit by bit instead off all at once due to an engine shop doing the build (their time is expensive mine is free)

Rides
    well might be better and quicker just to get another sr, id do the same and forge my current one but its just not an option just now. wrong time of year and just changed jobs then this im almost on my knees lol.

Rides
    im thinking its the best option atm and in the end if i keep on top of the servicing of the other engine ill have a decent standard engine to sell on when ive finished rebuilding my spare! how far did u get with rebuilding your engine??

Rides
    well all the machining work and cleaning has been done, just waiting on me buying rings, bearings, gaskets and screwing it all together, maybe about £500 but thats £500 i could use for this house purchase just now. sucks as its so close.

Rides
    oww thats too close to even think about!

Rides
    well, i finally bought some parts to start getting this thing back together

got a set of ACL mains and big ends for £102 off ebay! delivered and a set of Hastings rings. all in and torqued up, so i'll prob reassemble most of the block this weekend, just glad to be doing something with it.

BTW thats frost on the gasket face, it was pretty cold last night lol

silky smooth
    http://vid151.photobucket.com/albums...psldaqbxzh.mp4
    Last edited by jj205mi16; 04-02-2015 at 22:05.

Rides
    thought the bottom end was ready to go together last weekend until i noticed my bottom timing gear was missing a tooth! never seen this before, even found the tooth on top of the sump baffle plate, cannot understand why its happened but there you go.

so i ordered a new gear and crank seals from Desa on here, top bloke

so i will get the bottom end back together this week and then get onto the head, still contemplating getting some brian crower springs and retainers, possibly cams.

Rides
    Did some more tonight, bottom end basically back together just need head parts and should be good to go

Rides
    Interesting build, any chance as the engine is on the bench pointing out the oil sensor, thanks.