Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Just a bit of fun - my track day car

Rides
    Not a lot to update I'm afraid. I've been at sea / based the other end of the country and only get home a few days a month so progress has very much slowed down. I was hoping to be on track in the summer but that isn't going to happen now.

When I have had time I've concentrated on fixing a few niggles and doing some deep maintenance to ensure reliability. In no particular order:

1. The AC has degassed itself so I took this to be a sign and removed the AC system. I only need to take out the bits behind the dash now, but it's already a decent weight saving for something that isn't necessary on a track slag (and which didn't work anyway).

2. I changed the lambda sensor: this sorted out the lumpy idle and improved the mpg significantly. I also changed the plugs and gapped them to 0.7mm, and cleaned the MAF.

3. I fixed the ABS issue. I traced it to the front left wheel but the sensor checked ok, then I found a continuity break and traced it to a nicked cable (must have been damaged when I was fixing the turbo gasket.

4. I fitted new engine mounts (Hardrace Streets), and procured a Vibratechnics gearbox mount which I haven't fitted yet.

20150319_145300

5. While the work-in-way for getting to the mounts was out, I've been touching up the paint in the engine bay wherever it's needed it.

20150319_143515

6. I took the rocker cover off and cleaned the spray bars. They were a bit gunky but not blocked; they look like new now:

20150102_215712

Everything looked ship shape to my untrained eye:

20141230_215931

20141230_215939

7. I bought a cheapy ally oil catch can off eBay. The quality was, naturally, appalling, and I had to make the fittings airtight and all sorts, but it's good now. I wanted to make some baffles to improve its effectiveness. I noticed a coke can was almost the perfect diameter to fit in the catch can, so I made these with some scissors and a drill:

20150110_214945

Then mounted them like this:

20150110_215817

To make this:

20150110_220033

Voila:

20150110_222101

I'm currently in the process of making up a bracket and mounting it in the engine bay:

20150318_122653

I'm thinking about mounting it where the stock ignition amp goes. I know it's near the exhaust manifold, but the hoses will be in thermal sleaves and the catch can itself should be fine - what do you reckon?

8. While I've been away from the car I've been modding a second hand grill to remove the central piece. This is hardly priority work, but it's something I can do with a handfull of tools while away from the car, and I'm using it as a learning tool as I've never modded bodywork before. I'm just copying Blaktooth here, because it looks cool!

20150110_160211

20150110_160318

20150503_153003

I'm still working on smoothing and leveling the filler. Once I'm happy I'll spray the whole thing matt black.

9. I also bought a 3.9 auto diff which I'm in the process of cleaning up for painting and fitting.

20140928_155151

I guess that all looks like a decent amount of progress, but that's over 6 months! Shamefully slow progress compared to some projects on here.

Rides
    And the best use of a shatter proof rule award goes to...

Rides
    Nice update, that's quite a bit of stuff considering you've been working away like you say!

Good move on the grill, will look loads better when done, and the catch can idea is genius!!

Rides
    If you're not running an oil cooler and want to tidy up the rear of the diff I have an increased capacity R200 diff plate for you. It's off a NA Z32 R200 differential. It looks almost identical to a regular S14 diff plate except it doesn't have the oil cooler gubbins so it's cleaner and holds a little more oil. PM me if you're interested matey. Was going to fit it to mine but opted for a mega-bucks, difficult to find in this country, Greddy plate in the end.

Rides
    Auto diff attacked with wire brush drill attachment:

20150611_200514

Squirted with Hammerite juicy goodness:

20150612_144918

Getting a shiney Z32 back plate off of Lee (aka Blaktooth) to go with a new gasket for the rebuild.

Rides
    Small update:

Auto diff finished (with 300ZX NA backplate), ready to be fitted up with solid mounts (well, once I fix the abs sensor that I wrecked whilst trying to remove it):

20150813_154629

Oil catch can sorted:

20150901_162552

20150901_162602

The diet continues: world's heaviest bonnet removed, carbon jobbie going in its place...

20150901_162611

(Original bonnet for sale if anyone wants it!)

Wipers also removed to hopefully replace worn and very squeaky spindles.

I've effectively missed the window for getting it on the road and track this summer, and I'm about to be away with work for many months. The MOT expired and she's now SORN'd

The new aim is to have it blasting round tracks, faster and more reliable, next summer.

That is all.

Rides
    Any update?

Rides
    Few updates in the odd few hours I've been able to work on the car in the last 6 months

Gearbox mount swapped with fandango Vibra-techniks jobbie:

20160205_162926

Carbon bonnet on (it actually has Aerocatches installed now, too, but not on this pic):

20150902_102349

Windscreen wiper pivots replaced (no more incessant squeaking in the rain! Heaven!)

20150908_165344

Currently going through the process of swapping the diff and exhaust. The plan is to have the Chavmobile back on track destroying Veyrons by summer 2017. If this sounds like a long time, bear in mind that I will spend the rest of this year under water

Rides
    Oh, and I replaced all the intercooler silicone hose joiners and jubilee clips, to stave off any boost leaks (the previous ones were getting tired).

Also got a new steering rack bush to put in, and this turned up from the U of SA for finally mounting my passenger Cobra Suzuka Pro (expensive but quicker than trying to make one):

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...eats-only.html

Rides
    Where did that year go!? Any update?

Rides
    Is the Chavmobile still going?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Is the Chavmobile still going?
    Hello mate. The Chavmobile's been off the road for a couple of years. Been busy with normal boring life/work stuff, and recently this has been keeping me amused:

20180422_072650 by DaveyBoyDave, on Flickr

BUT... she's about to wake from hibernation. I'm going to Cadwell Park in 5 weeks so I've been putting in the hours this week getting things finished off. Updates to follow!

Rides
    Awesome! Look forward to the updates, and glad she's still going!

The Maserati looks bloody lovely btw.

Rides
    Bugger.

20180924_144405

Turns out 90s Nissans rust. Who knew?

Bit annoying as the previous owner had the chassis back to bare metal and represerved everything. Admittedly, that was >7 years ago now.

Anyone know any good welders in/around Bristol?

Rides
    Balls! So with the new MOT rules, does it have to remain at the garage!?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    Balls! So with the new MOT rules, does it have to remain at the garage!?
    Is that the rule? Can't see how it would work given not all MOT testing garages will be able to conduct weld repairs etc.? Anyway, it's at home now.

Tie rod tightened and blown gasket removed. Gonna take a wire brush attachment to the affected areas so the extent that needs repairing is fully visible, so I can get realistic quotes.

Rides
    Sad times.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    Anyone know any good welders in/around Bristol?
    Bit of a but you could take it to my mate at NRD Autos in Gurney Slade, on the A37 south of Bristol. He's a mechanic but also a qualified panel beater and is a dab hand at welding things up properly. Done some beautiful welding jobs to better than OE spec on my S13 in the past and also my little Fiesta which was pretty much destined for the scrapheap otherwise! Now the underneath looks like new.

PM me if you want contact details

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Bit of a but you could take it to my mate at NRD Autos in Gurney Slade, on the A37 south of Bristol. He's a mechanic but also a qualified panel beater and is a dab hand at welding things up properly. Done some beautiful welding jobs to better than OE spec on my S13 in the past and also my little Fiesta which was pretty much destined for the scrapheap otherwise! Now the underneath looks like new.

PM me if you want contact details
    I was hoping to find somewhere closer, since the car isn't road legal, but if I end up transporting it I will certainly bear this in mind - thanks for the info.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboydave View Post
    I was hoping to find somewhere closer, since the car isn't road legal, but if I end up transporting it I will certainly bear this in mind - thanks for the info.
    They have a recovery vehicle so will happily collect it from you - I don't know how much they'd charge for that but it looks like it's not a small job so can't imagine they'd want much extra.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199