Thread: problem starting car in cold weather

Rides

problem starting car in cold weather

HELP!!! Car doesnt want to start wen its really cold. Ive noticed recently its using a lot of fuel thus over fuelling and in this cold weather its causing me issues.
    Wat r people's recommendations on this. Ive got grade 7 plugs standard gaps on a stage 1a map. Should I shift down to grade 6 plugs and not drive it hard or is it possible I could shorten the gaps on my plugs to allow it easier to ignite?? Need help asap as kinda stuck atm

Rides
    Does the car run fine once it's running and up to temp?

Rides
    Yeah no problems at all. I had one moment of stutter the other day wen fully warm driving in second gear but again it was freezing out.

Wat do u reckon?

I checked my diagnostics earlier and had no faults. Timing sits at 15. Immobiliser seems ok as I had an issue with that before going through a wire in my wheel arch but thats all fixed and sorted.

Rides
    So it is purely a starting issue. Is your battery strong and holding charge? Might be worth getting a multi-meter on it if you don't have a pfc. Also flooding the engine is common as the engine will over fuel because of how cold it is, so if it is not starting on the first couple of tries the engine won't start, because its flooded.

Rides
    Also recently ive noticed that wen starting it a lot of the time it will cut out unless I instantly put my foot on the gas once it fires.

But battery is fine I checked earlier.

Rides
    Does that happen in all weathers? Might be worth phoning jez, he might suggest the idea plugs to use! You might need to go down a grade of plugs or something. I personally would ask his advice and he knows the best set-ups for his chips

Rides
    Ill be honest ive not tried it without gas straight after for about 2 weeks now as usually wen I use my car its to get to and bak from work so not worth risking flooding it lol

Rides
    That might be the answer then I would give that a go as it might be just been the silly cold weather giving your engine a hard time.

Rides
    Left it 45 minutes. Went to start it again and no luck. Doing my head in! Debating putting some grips on my fuel line to cut down thr fuel amount going in then trying to start it. Otherwise its remove my plugs. Clean them up and leave them out a while to air out the ports while aint a guarantee. ****ing hate this weather

Rides
    Looking at the condition of the plugs will give you an indication of whether the car is over fuelling etc. would by my next step for sure. Yea this weather is never helpful, might had just sat there for the last week or so, let it warm up yesterday without issue. Hope you get the problem sorted mate

Rides
    Well just done a test and its not sparking. So **** knows now considering it was driving fine maybe 3 hours ago?!? But its definitely putting fuel in so now im annoyed and my car is now stuck at my parents Til I can get my tools to my parents to fully inspect it. I HATE THIS COLD! !!!!

Rides
    Get the plugs out and give them a good clean!

Rides
    But there's no spark at all so even if I do clean them there's no electric going to them. Guna have to check my arch wires again to see if theyre still intact

Rides
    Ahh ok mate, hope you get to the route of the problem mate

Rides
    Thank u mate I appreciate it. Been meaning to raise my loom for weeks but everyday off I get I end up fixing other people's cars. Karma for helping others lol. Im hoping my wire I fixed in my arch has come loose or something so its a quick easy fix or a rusry earth. Who knows. Fingers crossed

Rides
    It's happens to the best of us let us know the solution