Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: possible con?

Rides
    Send the money back. Sell the item elsewhere.

It's got dodgy written all over it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    There would be no guarantee that he was ebay member t2990 anyway. It sounds a bit suspicious to me.
    Exactly. Unless i could get him to message me on ebay to my ebay to prove that's him?

Got an address btw now. I should have had the money sent to my ac with the bank i work at. Then i could have looked on my faster payment screen to see the ac details it has come from, to check the return ac is the same...

It should be ok to return 75. I know day in day out i sit there and tell people 'the money cannot be returned'. Just worried if it turned out to be fraudulent use of the sending ac . If that happens tho it would/should be Halifax's loss not mine

Rides
    Can you not get him to claim the money back from your account, and then if he still wants to proceed(and you do!), try again? I'd be nervous of sending any amount of money back to him from a transaction you initiate. I don't know how recalling a transaction like that works, I'd speak to your bank.

I'm also not sure, but I suspect that what you are suggesting you could do if you sent it from 'the bank you work at' may well be a breach of many things, so I'd delete that bit if i were you.

To be honest, I'd suggest you stop buying and selling anything. You don't seem to be very good at it

Rides
    There are two possible scenarios here:

a) It is a legitimate mistake on his part and for some mad reason he sent you £150 in error (this seems unlikely)

b) There is a scam of some kind going on that we haven't yet fathomed. It might not even involve you and you may be an unwitting accomplace. i.e. he may have used someone elses account to transfer the money from and you may be putting the money back into his account. Thus laundering the money for him and looking like a fraudster yourself if they ever investigate.

Rides
    I used to work for a bank and I'd tell him to recall the money from his bank otherwise he could speak to his bank and report fraudulent transaction and claim it all back anyway, if you make him a payment for the full amount you could be left even worse off

Rides
    I would seriouslly send the 150 back and have nothing whatsoever to do with him,even block him from your account if possible so he can't pay more in as I suspect its some type of scam,
    I know little about this tbh but read about money disappearing from banks/paypal like in that 'paypal sucks' link in your other thread, Its a lot easier to play it safe than loose £75 or the whole £150 and he's got your shinnizle imo dude
    sell it to a known traceable member or guest with a post count ffs

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    I would seriouslly send the 150 back and have nothing whatsoever to do with him,even block him from your account if possible so he can't pay more in as I suspect its some type of scam,
    I know little about this tbh but read about money disappearing from banks/paypal like in that 'paypal sucks' link in your other thread, Its a lot easier to play it safe than loose £75 or the whole £150 and he's got your shinnizle imo dude
    sell it to a known traceable member or guest with a post count ffs
    Pow Right in the Kisser!

Rides
    I really wouldn't send any money back - you need him to reverse the original transaction. It needs to be initiated from his end, not yours.
    Otherwise I see it going

- He sends you £150
    - You send him £75 back
    - He then claims with his bank that there was some sort of error, and somehow reverses the transaction from his end
    - He ends up with £75, and if you've sent it in the mean time, the product he was supposedly paying for as well.

I don't know the ins and outs of it, but that's my high level assertion of what will likely happen.
    Last edited by Si; 24-01-2013 at 11:37.

Rides
    ^^My point exactly

His error he needs to correct it

Rides
    Hey
    I find it quite funny that my mistake has become a popular topic, i just want everone to realise that the 150 was a genuine mistake as at the time I was negotiating with leosr for a flywheel, in which i offered him 150.

Rides
    Once you make a bank transfer there is absolutely no way to recall that money.
    Obvs not a scam and if his eBay stuff says he has a starlet and an s13 and he registered on uksc and Driftworks and sxoc I don't think there's a major mystery...
    There are a lot of forum lurkers who just read shit and don't post.

Rides
    Thanks, thats exactly my point, i told craig before that the reason i have no posts is because i dont join forums to get rep or make friends, i am only here to purchase/sell items.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by t2901 View Post
    Hey
    I find it quite funny that my mistake has become a popular topic, i just want everone to realise that the 150 was a genuine mistake as at the time I was negotiating with leosr for a flywheel, in which i offered him 150.
    Have to admit though, with a zero post count on loads of forums it makes you look a little sus

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmyke00 View Post
    ^^My point exactly

His error he needs to correct it
    I'm very wary of getting ripped off,I would ring your bank asap and tell them every little detail you have on him,
    if you can't send it back till he requests it he could start a dispute and block you accessing your account and then rinse all your cash possibly? I don't know but ring bank before you find out the hard way what the co*k su*ker is playing at
    I tried search for double payment scams but just got the usual paypal scam info relating to sending goods and buyer disputes then paypal removes the money after the event

Rides
    I'm gonna have to ring Halifax, ask them if there is any way they'd debit my account and send money back. I'm 99.99% sure they can't. I'll then try get them to confirm back to me (not sharing details) if they can check the account he wants me to send it to, see if its the same as where it came from, if it is I'll send 75 and the item. If it isn't, then i dunno.

From one of many experiences working for a bank, man comes in a few weeks ago and asks me to try get 2000 back that he sent to another bank to buy something which turned out to be a scam. I told him nothing we can do, once its gone its gone. He went into hsbc who said they had froze the account it went to as they suspected fraud on a few transactions, but they cannot give him the money back, and at our end we can't either. So i should be safe. As long as i'm not being dragged in to a money laundering racket

Rides
    yeah but you need to check the forums i am a member of, all have non trusted seller/buyer sections and not once you will see my name mentioned

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    I'm very wary of getting ripped off,I would ring your bank asap and tell them every little detail you have on him,
    if you can't send it back till he requests it he could start a dispute and block you accessing your account and then rinse all your cash possibly? I don't know but ring bank before you find out the hard way what the co*k su*ker is playing at
    I tried search for double payment scams but just got the usual paypal scam info relating to sending goods and buyer disputes then paypal removes the money after the event
    There is no way i can rip him off, just can't believe how stupid some people are.
    You searched and come to know that i could only rip him off via paypal, and this is a bank transfer, so why all this bullshit for

Rides
    There is no way i can rip him off, just can't believe how stupid some people are.
    You searched and come to know that i could only rip him off via paypal, and this is a bank transfer, so why all this bullshit for
    because everyone loves a witch hunt thats why.

Rides
    You gotta accept that the old 'sorry I sent you too much, please send some back' trick is the oldest known con in the book.

so when it genuinely happens people have a hard time swallowing it, you're like the 0.1% of people who actually genuinely make this mistake.

Rides
    so why all this bullshit for
    Some bullet points for you

You have a zero/low post count
    You have a suspiciously 'bot' like username
    Your email and ebay account dont match your username (t2990 as opposed to t2901)
    You are on several other forums all with zero/low post counts
    Internet/banking/paypal scams are rife
    We have had several scammers on here over the last few years
    'here is too much money, take whats yours and return the rest' is one of the best known scams about
    People are naturally suspicious

Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.