Thread: Home Network Storage

Rides

Home Network Storage

Can someone recommend a decent home network storage solution.

So basically something i have connect to my router and all the computers on the network can save to it.
    Network have both windows and Macs on it.
    Also i want to be able to add more storage as time goes on.

cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy01 View Post
    Can someone recommend a decent home network storage solution.

So basically something i have connect to my router and all the computers on the network can save to it.
    Network have both windows and Macs on it.
    Also i want to be able to add more storage as time goes on.

cheers
    I have been using one of these for a while, very easy to set up have PC's Linux boxes etc connected to it, also I can connect to it externally if you want to so your files can be available where ever you are.

Rides
    I fitted one of these:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/d-lin...h-raid-gigabit

last month - running 2x 1Tb drives in Raid1 so they mirror each other and back up incase of failure.

it works very well when set up correct, can be seen by all my devices and streams to my smart TV and tablets

Rides
    I have a Synology ds212j and it`s great, has loads of apps like download manager and iTunes exchanges not to mention a full working desktop environment. It really is very good and I have to say that for something so boring it really did get me excited lol . You can also set up users with download limits, file restrictions,upload limits almost every option you can think off.

cheapest place was scan for me too.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/synol...nd-gigabit-lan

Watch some Youtube videos on it you will be blown away, one of the best feature is the download station meaning you can set it off remotely to download a torrent file and by the time you get home the transfer is done. Needless to say but your main pc can be turned off and it will continue the download by it`s self and then turn off when finished. You can even set your share cut off limit and it will automatically terminates the upload when you hit a given percentage (saves you some electricity).

I must add I know nothing about torrent files .

Rides
    I have one of these...
    http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-prol...ack-658553-421
    They are usually available with £100 cashback from HP but that offer isn't on at the moment.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 with 4 drives in it (at the moment the 250gb one it came with, a 750gb one I had lying around and two 2gb ones).
    Some people have fitted 6 drives to them.
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 23-01-2013 at 20:56.
    bovvered?

Rides
    I do love those Microservers, but I opted for and run the D-Link DLowe has listed as it was just a much cheaper solution for me - £240 all in for a 2 bay NAS, 2x2TB WD Reds and a Pi running XBMC.

CIFS onto this NAS though is slow, best I can get is 20MB/sec, but I guess you get what you pay for. Once media is on, I can NFS it to XBMC, in HD, and its fine.

Rides
    Another shout for QNAP.

Rides
    how do you mean its slow?

Mine was a bit sluggish with my O2 router when transfering files, but with the new BT home hub its as fast (if not faster) than saving/copying to the PC HD

Rides
    For some reason whenever I try to explore the NAS over the network (bear in mind this is all gigabit as well) the transfer speeds I get are around 2-3MB. Granted there must be something holding this up at the router end because if I connect the ethernet direct from the NAS to a laptop, bypassing the router I get 18-20MB transfer rates and that is only because I have striped the drives. When they were mirrored, funnily enough I get almost exactly half that.

All of these speeds are lower than what you should expect from USB2, let alone from ethernet and gigabit at that.

Seems I am not alone on this, there are many forums with users who have a D-Link and get similar transfer rates. However, as said if I NFS something over, although I cannot track the transfer rate, HD movies have never stuttered, its just annoying that I have to direct connect the NAS in order to add more content to is, unless I want to wait an age. Consensus on the net is that it is the CPU on the NAS which can be the bottleneck, as well as other factors like the usual router/cables.
    Last edited by Troy; 29-01-2013 at 07:31.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I do love those Microservers, but I opted for and run the D-Link DLowe has listed as it was just a much cheaper solution for me - £240 all in for a 2 bay NAS, 2x2TB WD Reds and a Pi running XBMC.

CIFS onto this NAS though is slow, best I can get is 20MB/sec, but I guess you get what you pay for. Once media is on, I can NFS it to XBMC, in HD, and its fine.
    How do you have it connected? 100Mb port? Or Gigabit?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    For some reason whenever I try to explore the NAS over the network (bear in mind this is all gigabit as well) the transfer speeds I get are around 2-3MB. Granted there must be something holding this up at the router end because if I connect the ethernet direct from the NAS to a laptop, bypassing the router I get 18-20MB transfer rates and that is only because I have striped the drives. When they were mirrored, funnily enough I get almost exactly half that.

All of these speeds are lower than what you should expect from USB2, let alone from ethernet and gigabit at that.

Seems I am not alone on this, there are many forums with users who have a D-Link and get similar transfer rates. However, as said if I NFS something over, although I cannot track the transfer rate, HD movies have never stuttered, its just annoying that I have to direct connect the NAS in order to add more content to is, unless I want to wait an age. Consensus on the net is that it is the CPU on the NAS which can be the bottleneck, as well as other factors like the usual router/cables.
    I had a Netgear Stora NAS and got the same sort of transfer rates.
    Switched to the Microserver and now get in the hundreds.

As you say at the end, it is probably down to the processing power of the NAS (I used the same cables/switch etc for both).
    Last edited by Ghazoobe; 29-01-2013 at 15:54.
    bovvered?

Rides
    II've got a ReadyNAS Ultra+ and can get 8-9MB/s over wireless, and about double that (from memory) connecting up gigabit stylee. Sounds like it might be a NAS processing issue as the previous poster says; I know some NASs are fairly under-powered.

Rides
    I have no issues with the NAS processing stuff?

the BT hub made a huge difrence to the speed, I am running with 2x 1Tb Samsung spinpoint F2's in raid 1 if that makes a diffrence?

Rides
    Currently getting around 80mbsec on my qnap 412 running 4 1tb Hitachi enterprise drives in raid 5 over gigabit lan.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Readynas ultra plus should be able to dish out near on 100m/s read and about 60% of that write!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vez View Post
    Readynas ultra plus should be able to dish out near on 100m/s read and about 60% of that write!!
    Sorry, I was talking about transfer speeds over the network, rather than disk read/write...?