Thread: Internet problems, can't connect current connection to laptop

Rides

Internet problems, can't connect current connection to laptop

I've got a laptop (new to me) and I can't get it to connect to the internet, it's pissing me off - it's not a problem with the laptop (I tired another one and it wouldn't connect either.

I've got a virgin broadband connection which is a phone type cable connection. It's working fine on my PC but can't find an IP address when I plug into the laptop.

I'm trying to find settings on my PC for any passwords/addresses/usernames etc but can't find any info on the connection I'm currently using. It keeps waffling on about wireless or making a new connection and such retarded pish. ****ing ****.

Any hints? I'm on vista.

Dunc.

Rides
    Right I've now found "Network connection details" which list a Physical Address - letters/no.s, and 6 IP adresses?

Any of this any use, I've not done any of this in donkeys years, I seem to remember just plugging it in and away I went - this was 3 years ago and never had a problem or cause to look again since.

****ing ****s.

Dunc.

Rides
    I'm not a Windows user, but I'll guess you are. So this is from memory. You need to make sure that the networking settings are set to automatically request a DHCP address. If you do not have a router (if not, get one), then it will request an IP address from the head end. If you have a router, it would have aquired an IP address and your laptop would receive a NAT'ed IP from your router.

What version of windows are you using? Is you broadband across cable or telephone wire?What settings is you PC set to use?

Rides
    Hi and thanks for your response. Yes it's windows on both computers. Don't have a router it just comes from the wall as single fibre optic cable into one of these:-

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su...m_DPC2100.html

It then connects to the PC from that using a phone type cable.

My settings are set to public and it states in the network settings/details the following is listed (I've put asterisks in place of the actual addresses/numbers):-

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address: ********************
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    IPv4 IP Address: **************
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: **************
    Lease Obtained: 20 January 2013 08:39:01
    Lease Expires: 25 January 2013 16:35:48
    IPv4 Default Gateway: *************
    IPv4 DHCP Server: ******************
    IPv4 DNS Servers: **********************
    IPv4 WINS Server:
    NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address: ********************
    IPv6 Default Gateway:
    IPv6 DNS Server:

I can't get this screen on the laptop I'm trying to connect, I assume because it won't connect.

Any of that lot help?

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 20-01-2013 at 08:35.

Rides
    use the command prompt program and type in ipconfig
    that could bring up some usefull information as to ip addresses and what you are or arnt connected to?

Rides
    Get laptop
    Open wired adapter settings in networks
    Deselect IPv6 (not needed)
    Open ip4 details
    Select (Obtain ip automatically)
    Select obtain dns automatically
    Ok out

Now when you plug your ethernet cable in the laptop will ask for a dhcp assignment from the router.

Rides
    What OS is the laptop by the way?

Might be able to give you more specific instructions then as others are saying the laptop probally has a fixed ip address set on it from whoever used it last..

Rides
    Thanks for the help folks, I'll give it another go tomorrow. The laptop is windows XP but have also tried this now on another laptop that's vista with the same result - both are known working computers.

Thanks,

Dunc.

Rides
    Have you tried with the cable the PC uses?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Have you tried with the cable the PC uses?
    Yeah it is that cable, it's the only connection I have/need (with the exception of this one off occasion to register a piece of software on the laptop)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Deselect IPv6 (not needed)
    Open ip4 details
    Select (Obtain ip automatically)
    Select obtain dns automatically
    Only thing listed is "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and it's already set to obtain ip automatically and select dns automatically. Thanks though

If I were to setup an IP address manually does anyone know which onoe it'd be from the list of (edited) IP info I cut and pasted in the post earlier on? Perhaps it would work this way?

I'll be giving Virgin a phone to help but can't do that till Friday and I'm way too impatient for that

Dunc.

Rides
    Take screen shots of networks page and post them up, also full tcp ip status from IPCONFIG/ALL

Dont worry about the addresses being on show, no bugger gives a shit

Rides
    Promise folk can't get into my PC etc with this?

Dunc.
    Last edited by dunc; 23-01-2013 at 20:44.

Rides
    No you aint going to be hacked with an ipaddress on show, there are much easier ways. Also those screen shots show you aint connected to squat anyway.

This cable you have, its a standard network cable ? and its plugged directly into the modem/router like your other pc is?

Have you tried another cable?

Its not able to resolve a dhcp ip address so until that happens you aint going anywhere.

Rides
    No you aint going to be hacked with an ipaddress on show, there are much easier ways. Also those screen shots show you aint connected to squat anyway.

This cable you have, its a standard network cable ? and its plugged directly into the modem/router like your other pc is?

Have you tried another cable?

Its not able to resolve a dhcp ip address so until that happens you aint going anywhere.
    It's the cable unplugged from my working PC, then plugged back into it when I need to use the web again to reply lol. It's all I've got, works fine though.

Dunc.

Rides
    Well... erm.
    I take it the other pc is being assigned a dhcp address (same as your not working one)
    Few things could be stopping this.
    Either the router is set to only hand out new addresses to registered devices (you must register the device in the routers config page first - its a security thing)
    Or
    YOur network card is fcked in the problematic machine..
    Or...
    The config for the network card in windows is set somehow to upset the connection to the router - this could be as simple as autonegotiate being switched to a manual mode ---- say a Gb speed and the router can only handle 100Mb/'s which would stop dhcp working.
    Or...
    The drivers in windows for the network card are ****ed.

Rides
    Well... erm.
    I take it the other pc is being assigned a dhcp address (same as your not working one)
    Just did IPCONFIG/ALL on this PC and they are all completely different (and there's LOADS more)

Rides
    It is likely going to have a completly different set of IP details in the wired connection section as its working, the ones on your not working unit are gash.

Is the working pc getting its ip from dhcp? You can tell by looking at the network properties, they should be set to auto like pic 2 above.

Rides
    Is the working pc getting its ip from dhcp? You can tell by looking at the network properties, they should be set to auto like pic 2 above.
    Yup sent to receive dhcp just like the laptop