Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax current account - any good?

Rides

Halifax current account - any good?

Halifax are currently doing an offer of £100 if you take out a current account with them which is tempting really but I don't know anything about them.

Things I'm interested in are them being easy to contact and knowledgeable and helpful when you do get hold of them, good online and mobile banking services with easy online transfers and payments, good general management of the account i.e Natwest allocate funds that are going out a few days before if they're due to go out on a Monday, this really helps you know where you stand and stops you accidentally overshooting with your spending.

I'm coming from Natwest who really work for me so would be a nightmare if they turned out to be arse but atm I need every penny as I've gone back to being a student but with the costs of a family/nursery/2 cars and mortgage

Any comments, good or bad? Cheers

Rides
    First direct offer £125 to join as long as you earn £1500 net a month, also another £100 to leave within the first year if you are not happy. Also rated the best customer service of all banks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    First direct offer £125 to join as long as you earn £1500 net a month, also another £100 to leave within the first year if you are not happy. Also rated the best customer service of all banks.
    Dude, I'm a student

I do still earn as it's a mature student work based course but not £1500 net

Rides
    Ah well, that won't help you then lol. Halifax it is!

Rides
    A mate was with them about 10yrs ago and was happy, unfortunately thats the limit of my experience with their current accounts.

I have a credit card with them and they were a right pain in the arse when I had to go into a debt management plan after being made redundant. However that pita they caused back then also meant that they were the only ones who didn't close my credit card when it was all paid off and now ironically that means its the only credit card I have
    bovvered?

Rides
    They sent me a Visa debit card for an account I had closed 5 years before.... thats how good there systems are.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Had accounts with them since they took over the Leeds building society . That dates me somewhat I think

Never had any problems with the Halifax apart from dim staff in some branches .

Reward Current account gives me £5 a month for paying in over £1000....usually covers an overdraft charge

Just if they offer you a credit card for being a student say HELL NO. Halifax credit cards are eeeeeevil!

Rides
    I switched from Barclays (cnuts) to Halifax last year - so far they have been brilliant. Any time I've need any help they have been great and in my local branch the staff are very helpful.

Whilst the switching service is pretty good, just keep an eye on any standing orders and direct debits. Barclays failed to act upon the instructions sent from Halifax to transfer and then cancel my standing orders, meaning come rent day I paid my rent twice! Except because there was no money in the Barclays account they charged me for going overdrawn. Took me over a month of going into the local branch to sort it out due to their incompetant staff! Halifax on the other hand were brilliant and even offered to pay any fees incurred even though it was Barclays fault.

My advice is go into your local branch if you can and make an appointment to speak to an advisor about switching. That way you'll get a feel as to whether it's a good idea and how helpful they are.

Rides
    I have several accounts with Halifax, and the online banking (dunno about mobile) works very well.

Can't comment on 'low balance' features as I keep a good buffer in there, but as said the £5 reward for £1000 paid in per month is nice. Not only that, but I transfer a lump to our joint account each month and that gets a fiver too!

Can also pay cheques in via ATM which is nice (if there are any envelopes left) - makes all this paying-in slip, in-branch nonsense feel archaic and tedious.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_H View Post
    Can also pay cheques in via ATM which is nice (if there are any envelopes left) - makes all this paying-in slip, in-branch nonsense feel archaic and tedious.
    Apart from a 4 week period while the Halifax and Lloyds systems were merging I have never used paying in slips with Halifax. Got rather annoyed with the staff when I had to do so. Had a Victor Meldrew moment

Rides
    Overall it sounds like they're okay then.

I already have a credit card with them as it was 0% on purchases for 15 months so is helping us through this difficult year!! Although usually the credit card arm of a bank is totally different to the current account part so couldn't really judge them on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post

My advice is go into your local branch if you can and make an appointment to speak to an advisor about switching. That way you'll get a feel as to whether it's a good idea and how helpful they are.
    This is a good idea, will definitely do that as well as phone them to discuss as the things that p*ss me off the most about banks is when their customer service sucks, whether on the phone or in branch

Rides
    I've been with Halifax since i was a wee nipper and never had any problems with them.
    As said above they give you £5 every month just for paying in more than £1000pm which is all good.
    The only gripe i have with them is that for everyday you are in your overdraft (arranged) they charge you £1 a day for the privilege.... Just gives you a good incentive to stay away from it i suppose

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bevred View Post
    I've been with Halifax since i was a wee nipper and never had any problems with them.
    As said above they give you £5 every month just for paying in more than £1000pm which is all good.
    The only gripe i have with them is that for everyday you are in your overdraft (arranged) they charge you £1 a day for the privilege.... Just gives you a good incentive to stay away from it i suppose
    Oh FFS, posted up in my old dears login....

Rides
    I've had nothing but problems with my student current account. Considering moving to santander.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko-Na-H View Post
    I've had nothing but problems with my student current account. Considering moving to santander.
    Now that is a terrible bank Avoid like the plague

Rides
    Thing is I'm reasonably happy with my current bank (Lloyds) but a free £100 sounds good as does an extra fiver a month, wish I could stay with my current and still get that - might go in and noise them up tomorrow morning

Dunc.

Rides
    Same situation as me then! I have no problems with Natwest whatsoever, I can't imagine them giving me £100 to stay though

Rides
    Got my mortgage account with them. its the top account where if I put x amount in a month I get £5 which knocks all the optional extras like phone insurance, break down cover etc down to £10 a month rather than £15. Also because its a joint account the mrs and I are both covered for phones, break down, travel insurance etc so we go halves on it which means I get all those offers for £5 a month

Rides
    Been with Halifax for some 15 years or so and happy. Had mortgage with them before and also very good, like the online banking. No problems and enjoy the fiver a move. Pays one of the motorbikes insurance for the year.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosy View Post
    Been with Halifax for some 15 years or so and happy. Had mortgage with them before and also very good, like the online banking. No problems and enjoy the fiver a move. Pays one of the motorbikes insurance for the year.
    That's cheap insurance!